Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10/22 new or secondhand

Options
  • 03-12-2017 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I'm going to get my first semiauto in a 10/22. I'd like a stainless barrel with timber stock. I have a cz455 with the heavy barrel and would like something lighter. Question is should I go for a new rifle maybe the target model or should I get a cheap secondhand and add parts like kidd and volquartsen. I will be using it for vermin and plinking. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

if your looking for lighter, then don't buy the 10/22 with the target barrel, it is probably the heaviest barrel ruger have on their 10/22's.
    Once you have a CZ I would buy as cheap as I can get and add to it if you want as u go along. If you spend big money on ur 10/22 you will only spend more changing parts on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭eoin.d

Thanks wadi14, can a cheaper model 10/22 be added to the same as a dearer model using the same parts? Is it no advantage going for one model to another if your going to be changing parts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

eoin.d wrote: »
    Thanks wadi14, can a cheaper model 10/22 be added to the same as a dearer model using the same parts? Is it no advantage going for one model to another if your going to be changing parts

There's no advantage aside from saving money. They can all be upgraded equally. If you are going to change parts soon after buying the rifle, then go for the cheaper one.

The best upgrade is changing the trigger to a Kidd one. Expensive though. Over €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I bought the tactical target model for rabbits and plinking with the intention of not upgrading it. I did add a stock and fiddled with the trigger and I'm very happy with it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

If you want a semiauto for just plinking and rabbits, and maybe the option of gallery rifle later without the necessity of pimping maybe you should consider the Browning Buckmark.

• Advertisement

I'm set on the 10/22 because of the huge amount of spares available. German pointer do you find the tactical target heavy shooting off hand. I have a heavy 16inch varmint barrel on a 455 and find it a little heavy after a while shooting off hand

eoin.d wrote:
    I'm set on the 10/22 because of the huge amount of spares available. German pointer do you find the tactical target heavy shooting off hand. I have a heavy 16inch varmint barrel on a 455 and find it a little heavy after a while shooting off hand

I don't find it heavy at all its a 16" barrel I have and it fits me perfectly. I have a Boyd's Blaster stock on it.

Ruger bull barrels are heavy, the sporter barrels are lighter,
    When it comes to aftermarket bull barrels you can get anything from 1lb to 3.5 lbs
    Kidd drop in trigger kit is good at 1.5 lb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I bought a ruger 10-22T which is the target model years ago and was unimpressed with the accuracy. A 30 year old well used and abused brno bolt action was streets ahead in accuracy. The Browning .22 lever action, if you can find one, would be better for quick follow up shots.

This is a 10 shot group with my 10/22 Tactical at 50 mt
    Bolt guns are more accurate but I'm quite happy with this.

• Advertisement

This is a 10 shot group with my 10/22 Tactical at 50 mt Bolt guns are more accurate but I'm quite happy with this.

If I got a group like that I'd be more than happy with it.
    If I bought a 10/22 with a heavy target barrel could I change it out for a light barrel afterwards?
    Thanks for all the replies lads

You can change virtually every thing on a 10/22 , if you buy the 20 inch target barrel you are probably buying the heaviest ruger bull barrel they have, def not an off hand barrel and heavy for carrying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mylo10

eoin.d wrote: »
    I'm going to get my first semiauto in a 10/22. I'd like a stainless barrel with timber stock. I have a cz455 with the heavy barrel and would like something lighter. Question is should I go for a new rifle maybe the target model or should I get a cheap secondhand and add parts like kidd and volquartsen. I will be using it for vermin and plinking. Any advice welcome. Thanks

I use a 10/22 and love it. I'm using it for Rats, Rabbits and some plinking. Great Rifle and easy to strip down for cleaning. Right down to removing the barrel and stripping the trigger completely down. Because it's such a popular rifle there are lots of upgrades available and videos online of stripping / upgrading.

When I bought mine I did some searching and found the second hand price wasn't far off the new price in Ireland. In some cases, second hand was actually more expensive (a bit daft but that's what I found).

I can't comment on the heavier Ruger barrels as I've never used them. I just use the standard 16" barrel and the rifle is light enough for me.

Best of luck anyway. You'll have loads of fun with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

This is a 10 shot group with my 10/22 Tactical at 50 mt
    Bolt guns are more accurate but I'm quite happy with this.

Great group GP, not easy from a10/22 I found that if you hold the the rifle steady (on a rest) it helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The uk champion in one of the galleryrifle comps. (he is Irish) shot his winning targets with a ruger tacticle/target and only changed the trigger to a Kidd single stage.

clivej wrote:
    Great group GP, not easy from a10/22 I found that if you hold the the rifle steady (on a rest) it helps a lot.

That was off a bench using a bipod but I'll get the same groups with mini mags , cci subs standards and even volicitors

I'm just waiting on a few prices from dealers. As said earlier not much between secondhand and new prices. Are 10/22 fussy on what they will cycle? Thanks for all the replies

Mine doesn't like some of the Eley but that is more the grease that the actual bullets.
    One thing to note you can't use the CCI stinger round in the tactical target model

Mine doesn't like some of the Eley but that is more the grease that the actual bullets. One thing to note you can't use the CCI stinger round in the tactical target model

Is it for barrel wear or what's the problem with cci stingers?

They don't fit in the chamber. It does state in the manual not to use them. It only affects the tactical target model all other 10/22s can use stingers

• Advertisement

10/22 barrels have a slightly bigger chamber than say a match barrel, the reason for this is to accommodate a wider selection of ammo from bulk to match ammo also a semi autos chamber is slightly larger than a match bolt action, to help with the feeding and ejection of the rounds, to prevent stoppages.
    Factory chamber is a Sporting chamber
    Bentz is a semi auto match chamber
    Match is a bolt action chamber, the more accurate the rifle the tighter the chamber. A 10/22 match chamber is still wider than a bolt action match chamber to facilitate operation of the action.

the bolt action round is fed and ejected manually, but with the semi auto using a blow back and spring system to cycle the rounds it cant afford to have rounds or empty casings sticking in the chamber, so the chamber is slightly bigger.
    But being a ruger 10/22 every thing can be changed, even the spring that are used in cocking and feeding. Kidd for example have 3 springs available, light for subs, mid for standard , and strong for higher velocities. so you have the option to change the spring if you where having jams.

Anyone know anything about the 10/22 target lite? The ruger website says it's a new model but nobody i rang knows anything about it

They don't know about it because it is that new lol, prob only days out Im guessing,
    Nice looking rifle, nice stock, lighter trigger than the standard,( but still not light enough), Barrel is steel liner covered in aluminium to reduce weight, a lot of the lighter bull barrels are made this way, I have a lined barrel in my 10/22 and 22 pistol.
    The trigger can be worked on to lighten them up, ( by someone qualified who knows what they are doing)
    not a bad attempt by ruger to capture a niche in the market for lighter semi auto.
    Warning start saving cus by the time it reaches here, the dealers wont know how much to charge u. Wont be cheap Im guessing.

Wadi14 wrote: »
    They don't know about it because it is that new lol, prob only days out Im guessing,
    Nice looking rifle, nice stock, lighter trigger than the standard,( but still not light enough), Barrel is steel liner covered in aluminium to reduce weight, a lot of the lighter bull barrels are made this way, I have a lined barrel in my 10/22 and 22 pistol.
    The trigger can be worked on to lighten them up, ( by someone qualified who knows what they are doing)
    not a bad attempt by ruger to capture a niche in the market for lighter semi auto.
    Warning start saving cus by the time it reaches here, the dealers wont know how much to charge u. Wont be cheap Im guessing.

We'd still end up replacing most of the parts.

lol of course its a 10/22 lol. isn't that why we buy them

Wadi14 wrote: »
    lol of course its a 10/22 lol. isn't that why we buy them

Agree with you 100%.

That's why I wouldn't buy the 10/22 Target Lite. It's more expensive (I'll eat my hat if it isn't) and I'd wind up swapping most of the parts out of it anyway.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Agree with you 100%.

That's why I wouldn't buy the 10/22 Target Lite. It's more expensive (I'll eat my hat if it isn't) and I'd wind up swapping most of the parts out of it anyway.

Im guessing like me you have changed virtually every thing on your 10/22, there is only one 10/22 I'd buy if I could afford it that is, and its the Kidd Supergrade model , with the new interchangeable barrel system. And of course with it still being a 10/22 I'd have to buy 2 barrels 1 light and 1 20 inch target :) .

eoin.d incase you weren't aware there are a few companies who produce custom 10/22, not a Ruger part in sight, Kidd and Volquartsen being 2 of the big named manufactures.

Buy the cheapest 2nd hand 10/22 u can find and have fun customising it yourself, I think that's the message me and BattleCorp are trying to say.

Advertisement