Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow forecast anyone preping in case its stays.

Options
  • 03-12-2017 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

Snow forecast for Thursday so not having done a whole lot to prep for a while at the very least I'll be picking up a few extra bags of coal and bottles of water.

It may not happen or just be a fleeting flash of white but after we had 5 days of no power or water after Ophelia I don't see any point taking chances.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Best advice is not to read the sensationalist indo, tge daily muck or the hysterical Express.

According to the Hysterical Express there was a two months "freeze" to cover Britain starting 3 weeks ago.

Most famous of all was the Daily muck's forecast of a "polar vortex" and lowest temperatures for 100 years for December 2015 - it was one of the mildest on record.

So avoid believing sensationalist hysterical rubbish and you'll survive nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

So Ophelia never happened and I wasn't snowed in here for nearly 2 weeks (steep frozen roads out of our valley) a few years back?

my3cents wrote: »
    So Ophelia never happened and I wasn't snowed in here for nearly 2 weeks (steep frozen roads out of our valley) a few years back?

Met eireann gave correct forecast for Ophelia - likewise, read the met eireann forecast for this week and you'll see there is nothing to be overly concerned about.

Read and believe the tabloids and you' should currently be 2 weeks inti a two month freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

LOL you're just hilarious! Read the title of forum. Why not pop over to the Weather forum and tell them there's no point talking about the weather because its going to happen anyway. :rolleyes:

I'd forgotten why I had you on my ignore list so took you off it but I can see its time to put you back on.

my3cents wrote: »
    LOL you're just hilarious! Read the title of forum. Why not pop over to the Weather forum and tell them there's no point talking about the weather because its going to happen anyway. :rolleyes:

I'd forgotten why I had you on my ignore list so took you off it but I can see its time to put you back on.

I don't subscribe to "Catastrophe Syndrome" that so many people who read the sensationalist media subscribe to.

Likewise on the weather forum there are the "real" weather buffs and the dreamers.

The real weather buffs are pragmatic and live in the real world and have consistently said that there is nothing serious or longterm on the cold conditions due later this week (unlike the daily express saying we're in for a "two month freeze" - starting two weeks ago!) - a few snow flurries in north and west and that's about it. Probably too windy for frost.

Similarly storm ophelia was a 4-6 hour event. Shops were closed for one day, public transport was closed for one day or less. It was handled perfectly by authorities.

Some were without power for a couple of weeks (in laws were out of 6 days) - but it didn't stop people go about their normal lives. An inconvenience, yes, but a catastrophe?, absolutely not - unless you subscribe to the sensationlalist tripe of tabloids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement