Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New European Marathon record!!

• 03-12-2017 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Sondre Moen continues his incredible year with the win in Fukuoka Marathon and the fastest Non African born time on an eligible course in history (previously Ronaldo da Costa at 2.06.05)

Moens time(2.05.47) bettered Turkish Kaan Kigen Özbilen (formerly Mile Kigen) European record of 2.06.10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Sondre Moen continues his incredible year with the win in Fukuoka Marathon and the fastest Non African born time on an eligible course in history (previously Ronaldo da Costa at 2.06.05)

Moens time(2.05.47) bettered Turkish Kaan Kigen Özbilen (formerly Mile Kigen) European record of 2.06.10

His PB was 2:12:54 before this year. Has also gone from 62:19 to 59:48 in the half marathon. No huge track pedigree that would suggest this either (7:52, 13:20, 28:15). Hope he’s legit but really can’t help questioning this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Chivito550 wrote: »
    His PB was 2:12:54 before this year. Has also gone from 62:19 to 59:48 in the half marathon. No huge track pedigree that would suggest this either (7:52, 13:20, 28:15). Hope he’s legit but really can’t help questioning this.

He has also been working with Canova since last December. Plenty of people make big jumps with a coaching change there are a number of plausible reasons both positive and negative for this break through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭The Bin Man

This wasn't a surprise. Many people, long before the race, predicted Moen would run 2.05/06, including Canova. He's been working with Canova since 25th Oct 2016. He ran 2:10:07 (Hanover April '17). His poor run in Hanover was down to stomach issues. Although he had a relatively poor run in Hanover, based off his training, he wouldn't have gone too much faster (2:08:High-this is what he was expected to run too). In the build up to Hanover, it was clear that Moen had a lot of work to do in order to get down to sub 1hr for the half and then this performance. Canova detailed the key sessions with locations and it's interesting to watch both the brilliance of Canova and how Moen improves. I'd be surprised if this wasn't down to hard work (he changed his lifestyle to live a spartan existence in Iten) and Canova's brilliance.

This wasn't a surprise. Many people, long before the race, predicted Moen would run 2.05/06, including Canova. He's been working with Canova since 25th Oct 2016. He ran 2:10:07 (Hanover April '17). His poor run in Hanover was down to stomach issues. Although he had a relatively poor run in Hanover, based off his training, he wouldn't have gone too much faster (2:08:High-this is what he was expected to run too). In the build up to Hanover, it was clear that Moen had a lot of work to do in order to get down to sub 1hr for the half and then this performance. Canova detailed the key sessions with locations and it's interesting to watch both the brilliance of Canova and how Moen improves. I'd be surprised if this wasn't down to hard work (he changed his lifestyle to live a spartan existence in Iten) and Canova's brilliance.

I genuinely hope you are right. I’m not accusing him of foul play, just asking questions as the improvements are enormous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭The Bin Man

I genuinely hope you are right. I’m not accusing him of foul play, just asking questions as the improvements are enormous.

Oh, I understand. I'm the same about these things. But I've followed him closely. Here's Canova after the race:

https://medium.com/alberto-stretti/coach-canova-my-opinion-about-sondre-moen-in-fukuoka-d4625cfeafa

• Advertisement

pretty fly for a white guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think asking the questions is fair enough but also showing a change in coach and lifestyle can lead to great gains is great to show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

He has also been working with Canova since last December. Plenty of people make big jumps with a coaching change .

Heres hoping ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Plenty of people make big jumps with a coaching change .

Heres hoping ;)

and some don't ... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This marathon lark is not fooking rocket science....it's not specific talent either....

He is still minutes behind the best times on the marathon circuits...

Young fit and healthy man in the "prime" of his life with natural elite talent....

• Advertisement

Nice at least to have a 'European' holding the'European Record'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

walshb wrote: »
    This marathon lark is not fooking rocket science....it's not specific talent either....

He is still minutes behind the best times on the marathon circuits...

Young fit and healthy man in the "prime" of his life with natural elite talent....
    No one said it was rocket science. People are expressing some concerns that a guy makes such massive improvement at the two distances, Half and Marathon. Given the number of elites who have had some doping trouble, especially with big fairly sudden improvements, then I'd think you'd be at best naive not to have doubts. Could it be down to improved training? Yes, as everyone here has posted.

His previous coach Frank Evertsen (up to 2016) has a chequered past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

<mod>Enough of the doping speculation, please</mod>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This the fastest "eligible" time by a white man?

Canova posted loads about his training after his 59 half marathon for anyone interested.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8495930&page=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

walshb wrote: »
    This the fastest "eligible" time by a white man?

Yes. And fastest non-African-born on eligible course.
    Ryan Hall ran ran 2:04:58 on net-downhill Boston course with tailwind.
    1. 2:05:48 Sondre Moen, Norway 2017 Fukuoka
    2. 2:06:05 Ronaldo da Costa, Brazil 1998 Berlin
    3. 2:06:16 Toshinari Takaoka, Japan 2002 Chicago
    4. 2:06:17 Ryan Hall, USA 2008 London
    5. 2:06:34 Marilson Gomes dos Santos, Brazil 2011 London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Not usually one for doping speculation but this is interesting in that what is happening is pretty much unprecedented in elite athletics. Canova is releasing all Moen's bio passport blood readings from tests plus a lot of medical records that tests don't even cover. His goal seems to be to correlate blood values and altitude with training and performance but it has the added benefit of transparency on his test results during training and races.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8566162&page=13

Advertisement