Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a spare shotgun barrel

Options
  • 03-12-2017 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi what is the procedure for importing a shotgun barrel if i already got a gun licence is it OK just to have it delivered to my RFD or do i have to ask the gardai for permission.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You can have it delivered to your front door via An Post.
    As you hold the license, that also allows you to hold and acquire spare parts and components of the gun. What you need to do is go online to the Dept of Justice and download a form for importing firearms and ammo.

Even best is to give them a ring[ firearms & explosives or C4 section, aptly named] and ask what form you need to import a spare barrel.[They are a nice and helpful lot to deal with these days].

I assume you are importing it from the EU?If so you need to send the original DOJ letter with your certified copy of your license to the seller for them to process the export sale. Outside the EU...Best ring them and find out what is the current procedure?
    However, on the positive side, most countries will ship this part by normal post or courier as it is a "part", not an actual firearm or munition.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You could, as per your first post, have your RFD do it all. no need for you to do anything, but you will most likely have a fee to pay on top of everything for your RFD to do it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭freddieot

An Post prohibit all Firearms and firearms parts \ components in international mail (import and export). If you order it via An Post for delivery (and it gets detected) it will end up with Customs \ AGS or on it's way back to origin.

Less chance of a mess if you use a courier company option.

Even finding a courier company is becoming a hard one too. Obviously declaring it as gun parts is not an option anymore.Just "parts" is ambigious enough.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭freddieot

Metal parts works fine for springs and parts like that. Nobody cares about buffers, grips and other bits but a shotgun or rifle barrel is something that always stands out because of the shape \ weight of the parcel. Under X-Ray, well it gets worse...very easy to see what it is...

• Advertisement

No wonder the post is so slow if we have An Post dilligently X-raying EVERY package for contraband...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mach Two

On a similar note. What is the story with buying a shotgun barrell of different gauge for the same gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Mach Two wrote: »
    On a similar note. What is the story with buying a shotgun barrell of different gauge for the same gun.

It depends on the gun in question, It would have to be done by a competent gunsmith. It is expensive.

If the gun itself was produced in different gauges would it not be a simple matter of just changing barrells.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As soon as you change caliber it's a new license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Be an expensive feat of gunsmithing too.
    Only guns I've ever seen this done were for some of the bigger calibre double rifles.Some had an extra set of 20 gauge shotgun barrels made up in the set.So you had something to flake at game birds on the day off in the hunting camp for the pot. Not really a practical consideration for us mere mortals.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Id a massive problem getting in a mossberg 500 replacement magazine. Marked gun parts on the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Be an expensive feat of gunsmithing too.
    Only guns I've ever seen this done were for some of the bigger calibre double rifles.Some had an extra set of 20 gauge shotgun barrels made up in the set.So you had something to flake at game birds on the day off in the hunting camp for the pot. Not really a practical consideration for us mere mortals.:)

Some gunsmiths or hobbyests with alot of skill make double rifles from old 20 gauges usually converted 45-70s some of them turn out really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If the gun itself was produced in different gauges would it not be a simple matter of just changing barrells.

No because the barrels would have to be fitted to the gun, the bolt ( i currently cant think in english) that locks into the lug and the barrel has to be fitted correctly, it would have to be fitted to the hinge pin and then the barrels have to be brought on face and the headspace adjusted.
    If you wanted something like that you would be better off looking in Germany, Things like that used to be popular however were extremely expensive like 50K plus however now everyone wants a blaser r8 or 16 or whatever other new shiny thing gets their attention. So all the second-hand stuff that was going for 20 30 grand a couple of years ago is going for more like 5.
    Still it is possible to do it. but as i said it depends on the gun. If the actions were the same size then it may be easier however that is usually not the case.
    There is also a safety issue the amount of force that the lugs are under with a smaller calibre like a 20g is actually alot more than it is with a 12g so that is another issue.

Would it be possible to get a trigger mechanism without having to go through a dealer. Wouldn't mind getting a hair trigger.

Same thing.You have the license for a particular firearm, you are entitled to possess extra component parts for it.Be it a buttstock screw or the trigger pack.If you are buying those in the EU, most countries consider them[last I heard] non essential components, they don't need any paperwork to purchase or export.So they will mail them to you within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Some UK places I've come across have notices on their websites that firearm components can't be shipped outside the country as its against UK laws.
    I'm in the market for a trigger kit myself so I'm on the fence when it comes to buying online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

on the upswing, 40000 new parts/items are being added to that website we do not speak of this week. so might be helpful in getting parts and be as plentiful as its uk and european counterparts

hrcbob wrote: »
    Some UK places I've come across have notices on their websites that firearm components can't be shipped outside the country as it's against UK laws.
    I'm in the market for a trigger kit myself so I'm on the fence when it comes to buying online.

TRANS; We cant get or aren't bothered with small amounts of stuff as it is too much bother to get a UK export license from our anally retentive govt in London.But who have no problem selling any amount of hardware to any tinpot dictator who comes on by.:rolleyes:

As for the website that none dare speak its name.You might as well deal with its parent company in the US.It will cost less and unless they have a "must be ordered from ........Ireland webpage "Take about as long to ship[Thats if it isn't an ITAR item in the first place] and cost less with customs even.

Advertisement