Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Desktop PC Restarts Without Warning

Options
  • 03-12-2017 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I am using an Asus M32BF desktop PC running Windows 10.

About a month ago, the PC unexpectedly shutdown and restarted without warning. It is increasing in frequency, having occurred 5 times in the last week.

I regularly run Windows updates, so my system is up-to-date.

There is no heavy load on the system. Most of the time, I would have a few tabs open in Microsoft Edge, along with Microsoft Office (Outlook and Excel). There is no consistency in my activity at shutdown, just general usage as stated.

I've been told that it is either a power supply issue or a driver issue, but I've no idea what is the problem.

Is there any existing Windows monitoring system or one that I can download, so that I can read a log that will give some idea of what is happening?

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Tommy

if you go to control panel > administrative tools > event viewer you can see the windows event logs.

you need to check system logs, and use the filter option to filter on errors. if you have some idea of the time it rebooted, you wont have to trawl through too many logs, to see if anything useful is there around the time it crashed.

google is your friend when reading microsoft system logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Thanks Xterminator
    I have done the following:-
    Opened Event viewer and went to Windows Logs / System

I know that the last restart happened at 17:28 on 02/12/2017

The first item I find on the timeline is a CRITICAL level that states:-
    Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date: 02/12/2017 17:28:42
    Event ID: 41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level: Critical
    Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: Tommys_PC
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>6</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-12-02T17:28:42.561832100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>6658</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Tommys_PC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">2</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

The next one I see is a WARNING level that states:-
    Log Name: System
    Source: BTHUSB
    Date: 02/12/2017 17:28:48
    Event ID: 34
    Task Category: None
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Tommys_PC
    Description:
    The local adapter does not support an important Low Energy controller state to support peripheral mode. The minimum required supported state mask is 0x491f7fffff; got 0x1fffffff. Low Energy peripheral role functionality will not be available.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
    <System>
    <Provider Name="BTHUSB" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32773">34</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-12-02T17:28:48.994196100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>6666</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Tommys_PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>0x491f7fffff</Data>
    <Data>0x1fffffff</Data>
    <Binary>00000000030028000000000022000580000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

I’m lost, I’m afraid and wouldn't know where to start.

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Try checking if the CPU is overheating, download one of the many available hardware monitors with a quick Google search. If this is the case just open up the case and clean all the dust away using micro fibre clothes and compressed air. Run the PC with the case opened to check if all fans are working. If it's still overheating you may need to reapply thermal paste to the cpu.

Thanks Xterminator

I've installed a recommended app called Core Temp (see attached). It also warns of overheating, so hopefully I can take a snapshot if I get a message.

Tommy

The machine could be blue screening - the default behaviour is for Windows to reboot itself. Look in the System event log and filter it by the category BugCheck, that will show you if it has blue screened in the past.

• Advertisement

Thanks Karsini

I don't seem to be able to do that.

When I select Windows Logs / System and click on "Filter Current Log" in the Actions pane on the right hand side, the filter page opens, but the "By Log" section is selected by default and is greyed out so that I cannot change it to "By Source" (and hence select BugCheck) (see attached)

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

In event of overheating, PC would stay down, otherwise there would be risk to go in to infinite shutdown/restart loop.
    ....the PC unexpectedly shutdown and restarted without warning....
    However checking dust/fans still valid suggestion.

Thanks smuggler.ie

Yep - I've done a clean of the casing and fans, with no effect.

Tommy

Thanks Karsini

I don't seem to be able to do that.

When I select Windows Logs / System and click on "Filter Current Log" in the Actions pane on the right hand side, the filter page opens, but the "By Log" section is selected by default and is greyed out so that I cannot change it to "By Source" (and hence select BugCheck) (see attached)

Tommy
    That's OK, it should filter regardless. If you get no results then there are no entries from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

You will need to check temps over the time you are using it to see what the max temp is.

Also when you checked logs for shutdown you should be looking at the ones before the 2 you mentioned so look for critical or errors and the like just before restart to give you maybe something else to go with.

Also have you setup or installed anything new even usb devices that are still connected?

• Advertisement

Thanks Karsini,

That filter returned no events.

Tommy

Thanks jhud,

1) I've not added any new hardware or usb devices.

2) I attach view of Core Temp Data

3) I attach a full list (whole day) of critical, warning and error events

Tommy

Thanks jhud,

1) I've not added any new hardware or usb devices.

2) I attach view of Core Temp Data

3) I attach a full list (whole day) of critical, warning and error events

Tommy

You have a lot of warnings for the BTHUSB so what bluetooth device do you have?
    Can you update the driver to the latest version.

Thanks jhud

The only Bluetooth items I have is a keyboard and mouse.

I opened Device Manager and could not find it under Bluetooth, but did find it under Human Interface Devices (see attachment). I ran driver update but I have the latest driver.

Tommy

Thanks jhud

The only Bluetooth items I have is a keyboard and mouse.

I opened Device Manager and could not find it under Bluetooth, but did find it under Human Interface Devices (see attachment). I ran driver update but I have the latest driver.

Tommy

Ok you see the realtek bluetooth 4.0 adapter( i thinks its part of your wifi card so both are on same driver) you may need to update this driver but also you may need to turn off the power option in its properties.

So right click and under power management tab
    Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power"

Thanks Jhud

The driver updated successfully and I have unchecked as you suggested.

If I have another occurrence, I will post here.

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

did you move case recently,from one room to another or similar ?
    just to rule out shorting and lose cables.

also is your win 10 straight or did you upgrade from 7 or 8.1 on top ?

since you have two errors that stand out, seeing cpu max temp is normal on max load 70c,but you can run some benchmark to rule out it completely and see if system freezes smth like 3dmark or simillar free version and see where it tops out.

lastly seems power issue and given bluetooth is there spare keybaord wired one maybe to give it a go and getting rid of generic bluetooth drivers,to see how system behaves.

since as pointed above this message does indicate some power saving or supply issue that:
    The local adapter does not support an important Low Energy controller state to support peripheral mode. The minimum required supported state mask is 0x491f7fffff; got 0x1fffffff. Low Energy peripheral role functionality will not be available.

Thanks scamalert

I did not move case.

Upgraded ( a long time ago) to Windows 10 from 8.1

The rest is, I'm afraid, way beyond my understanding.

Tommy

what im saying is basically if you have spare keyboard that youd connect that one and uninstall any drivers related to wireless one and see if there's any change. to eliminate driver conflict issue.

Thanks scamalert

Unfortunately, I don't have any wired devices that I could swap.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've been using this Bluetooth connection for my mouse and keyboard for 12 months without issue.

Is there no app that will test drivers for conflicts?

Tommy

• Advertisement

It has just restarted again. I am using an app called Speccy and it is showing the CPU temperature over time as never going below 55°C and jumping up to as high as 77°C.(see attached)

Is this telling me anything?

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I thought Asus has its own UEFI utility monitoring temperature and fan speed. if available check with different tools as they might be inaccurate.

How long it takes PC to run when it reaches ~77C ? Do you run any apps same time? CPU fan is smart one, has to be connected to dedicated port clearly marked on MoBo. At this temperature (77-80)your CPU fan should run crazy trying to beat the heat, providing is connected to right port.

According this site, your CPU temperature bit high.... unless you run something heavy.
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000687.htm

Ensure you have heat-sink dusted properly(fins could be clogged), consider re-seat with new, good quality paste. Monitor/confirm CPU fan increasing speed when temperature rise. Monitor/confirm other fans running.
    Would like to believe your PC not sitting above or next to heating appliance.

^ all of the above advise, had few asus mobo die over the years for no real reason so yours could be on the way,as seeing your post my first question was going to be is it asus mobo.

when temps increase did you look at task manager to see what uses most resources ?

i have my cpu OCed to almost 4ghz even thou it dual and regular temps would be 50c+ nowadays, but once first overclocked it stayed way under 40c,so advise to take cooler off reseat cpu and apply fresh thermal paste and make sure fan is clean would be good step, thou that said mine case is huge so plenty of airflow, if you got mini case id check gpu temps as well using msi afterburner to see if the box isnt suffocating whole system.

In general i take my case at least once a year apart and get air cans and painting brush to clean all chips/fans etc since without proper dissasembly and clean dirt turns almost into sand and temps increase,not saying its the case but just general maintenance,which does no harm if done properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

AMD are hard to read accurate temps on but if it's idling at 55c and heading up to 77c it's definitely running way hotter than it should be.

Might need to reseat the CPU cooler, but that requires cleaning the old thermal paste off surface of CPU/base of cooler and applying new thermal paste also.

In the meantime, if you go into the bios or power management settings and limit the max frequency of the processor it should stop overheating at the cost of lower performance.

Advertisement