Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for Council Housing

Options
  • 03-12-2017 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello, I've been in my first full time job for a few months and I'm making min wage. I'm still living at home with the family in a 3 bed council house my parents have been renting since I was a baby. The rent has increased significantly as I am now the highest earner in the house and my mother is stressing out but I can absolutely afford to pay it and am grateful for what we have. It's just I'm a woman sharing a bedroom with my adult sister and the house is small. I've been wanting my own space for years but I'm not sure it counts as overcrowded if we are both women. At the moment I am trying to find an apartment to rent privately so that I can have a space of my own and I don't care how small it is but there is literally nothing out there that I can afford. Also if anyone has any experience applying for social housing as a single person please let me know what it was like. I am in Cork.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Did you try getting better education instead of looking for a social house. The increase in wages will come but that takes effort and sacrifices. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Did you try getting better education instead of looking for a social house. The increase in wages will come but that takes effort and sacrifices. Best of luck.

Social housing is there to support people who are not working or are on low income, such as the OP.

pablo128 wrote: »

Social housing is there to support people who are not working or are on low income, such as the OP.

Its a long queue. Enjoy.

pablo128 wrote: »

Its a long queue. Enjoy. The OP is not a priority

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MissDaytona

I have a degree and am saving for my masters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP how old are you?

What qualifications have you got? What are your career prospects?

A minimum wage job is really not one you should be stayimg in - have you been applying for better ones? This is really outside the scope of this forum - but is relevant because the council will consider it on assessing your housing need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You are not expected to continue sharing a room with your adult sister and the COCO will agree that you are overcrowded.
    Your salary may disqualify you, that’s your problem.
    Would you consider trying to rent a room in a shared house?

Good for you. Time to use that degree and get a better paying job.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MissDaytona

OP how old are you?

What qualifications have you got? What are your career prospects?

A minimum wage job is really not one you should be stayimg in - have you been applying for better ones? This is really outside the scope of this forum - but is relevant because the council will consider it on assessing your housing need.

22, I have a BA at the moment so I don't have much prospects now, though the masters I am considering right now doesn't sound great job wise either. I am trying to decide what is best for me long term right now really.

The job I have at the moment was the only one I could get full time, other options were part time/shift work at shops. I am trying to get into the public service and have gone through 3 application processes and am on one panel at the mo. How would the council consider that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Good on you OP.
    Hopefully that Masters won't come with a condescending attitude :rolleyes:

AFAIK Cork City Council have smaller properties as well - not everything is a 3 or 4 bedroom house. First step obviously is to get your name down and you can chat with the housing officer in there and they'll give you an idea of where you stand and any other benefits that may be available to you. They're there to help, not to judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

House share OP. I did it for years.

Not many folks can afford an apartment on their own.

I wouldnt bother with the social application, the queue is long and you are young and just out of college, life could take you anywhere yet.

House shares offered me a good bit of flexibility, saved more than having my own place and I was able to move about for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

22, I have a BA at the moment so I don't have much prospects now, though the masters I am considering right now doesn't sound great job wise either.

You have a BA, you are young and have plenty of prospects.

I know it can take time to get that first proper full time job, but once you have it and some experience things can move along fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Honestly, I wouldn't bother applying for a council place if I were you. Lord only knows how long you would be on the list for. If you absolutely must leave the family home, then a room in a house share would be how I'd go about it. In fact, that's exactly what I was doing at your age.

Your career prospects will get better when you've experience to back up your degree. You are in a lucky position that you've nothing tying you down responsibility wise. Council housing should be very last resort. You do have better options. Congratulations on your degree by the way, and best of luck in the future! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Take a house share with other young people and have a bit of fun... like we all did at that age and life stage.

Over time push yourself up to better jobs and your salary will improve.

Don't lick a masters with poor employment prospects. Pick one with good employment prospects!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Estrellita wrote: »
    Honestly, I wouldn't bother applying for a council place if I were you. Lord only knows how long you would be on the list for. If you absolutely must leave the family home, then a room in a house share would be how I'd go about it. In fact, that's exactly what I was doing at your age.

Your career prospects will get better when you've experience to back up your degree. You are in a lucky position that you've nothing tying you down responsibility wise. Council housing should be very last resort. You do have better options. Congratulations on your degree by the way, and best of luck in the future! :)

If she qualifies for the housing list then it is possible if her take home pay is low enough that she may be eligible for some HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You could be waiting 10 years on the council list. Put your name down if you want but as it takes so long for a single person to get housed you'll probably own your own home before you get housed

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

22, I have a BA at the moment so I don't have much prospects now, though the masters I am considering right now doesn't sound great job wise either.
    Then why consider it? Learnings great, but so is getting paid. Never understood why people study something being fully aware of the job prospects and then complain about prospects.

As for the OP, im assuming your still young, honestly just work hard, find some friends that are doing the same thing and rent a place together. Consider education options but theres other ways if your focused hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

22, I have a BA at the moment so I don't have much prospects now, though the masters I am considering right now doesn't sound great job wise either. I am trying to decide what is best for me long term right now really.

The job I have at the moment was the only one I could get full time, other options were part time/shift work at shops. I am trying to get into the public service and have gone through 3 application processes and am on one panel at the mo. How would the council consider that?

Similar cases I've seen were assessed as not having a housing need, so not accepted onto the housing list. Because: House sharing is very common at your life stage, and if you cannot get better paying work here, it's likely that you'll head overseas etc.

Keep applying for better jobs: minimum wage jobs for young people are starter-jobs, not forever jobs. Keep a positive attitude, and you will find that better options come along.

Do not fall into the trap of thinking you're a permanent council house family. Education should make things different for you.

Advertisement