Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much outside space do I need?

• 03-12-2017 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I'm buying a small house and this is my first time. The estate agent says has 'a planning issue', which is that the outside yard is not big enough. For a small two bed house, how big does the yard need to be under the new planning regulations? Any help would be fantastic. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Aoife248 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm buying a small house and this is my first time. The estate agent says has 'a planning issue', which is that the outside yard is not big enough. For a small two bed house, how big does the yard need to be under the new planning regulations? Any help would be fantastic. Thanks

It depends on the original planning application.
    It would be stilulatednon the drawings.

In Dublin they usually require 12-15 Sq. M per bedspace.
    The main bedroom is a double bed space by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aoife248

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

60m2 in cork county

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aoife248

Thank you for your input but I wasn't clear, I think. I meant the outside yard space. The extension built by the current owner is too big, so the yard is considered too small by the planning department, according to the estate agent. So I was wondering how big does a yard have to be for a small two-bed house?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Aoife248 wrote: »
    Thank you for your input but I wasn't clear, I think. I meant the outside yard space. The extension built by the current owner is too big, so the yard is considered too small by the planning department, according to the estate agent. So I was wondering how big does a yard have to be for a small two-bed house?

Ok so it sounds like the previous owner built an extension to the rear and tried to claim it was exempt.

You need 25 Sq. M of private open space to the rear remaining after the extension. The extension if single stored has to be 40 Sq. M maximum.

If the planning department has already ruled that the space is too small, then you need to apply for rentention planning permission to keep the extension with the remaining garden space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement