Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I send to Australia?

Options
  • 03-12-2017 6:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

My cousin is in Australia the last few years and we are thinking to assemble a hamper and send it to her for Christmas as she's not coming home this year unlike other years.

I seen Paddy Box but I think its bad value and I'd like to assemble something similar but I'm not sure of the rules of what you can and cannot send, in line of different foodstuffs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Doltanian wrote: »
    My cousin is in Australia the last few years and we are thinking to assemble a hamper and send it to her for Christmas as she's not coming home this year unlike other years.

I seen Paddy Box but I think its bad value and I'd like to assemble something similar but I'm not sure of the rules of what you can and cannot send, in line of different foodstuffs.

Meat is out of the question - soups would also be an issue - confectionery products and Tea will be fine - tinned peas beans I would say will also get taken.
    Dont try it they do seize these things they run these parcels over with trained sniffer dogs and will remove any products that are prohibited.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I am in Oz and we can get loads of the things that would traditionally have been sent over in the "Irish" section of nearly every supermarket now - you can get Tayto, Irish Dairy milk, mushy peas, club orange - loads of stuff. There is a website called www.tasteireland.com.au and they import lots of the traditional Irish foods. Have a look at that site and you might even be able to make up an hamper from there and get it sent to them from over here rather than shipping it yourself. There also won't be any issue with things not being allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I can only speak for myself here but dont send chocolate. Its the peak of Australian summer, between transport and storage during postage your chocolate is going to melt and solidify god knows how many times and end up a gross mess by the time ends up at your recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Meat is out of the question - soups would also be an issue - confectionery products and Tea will be fine - tinned peas beans I would say will also get taken.
    Dont try it they do seize these things they run these parcels over with trained sniffer dogs and will remove any products that are prohibited.

Neither soup or tinned peas are prohibited.
    You can buy them in the shops.

OP if you are going to send something, send something that can't be bought in Australia easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

You can get pretty much everything now in Coles or there is a string of Irish shops. The only thing is that the best before dates tend to be very close. We always send selection boxes and my aunts love iced caramels and silvermints. Just remember you cannot send wood into Australia even photo frames.

• Advertisement

amtc wrote: »
    Just remember you cannot send wood into Australia even photo frames.
    That's not correct.
    You can bring in any wood that is free contamination/insects/bark. So picture frames are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

We got photo frames from bali confiscated last year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I did the shopping today so I'll post up a list of what I got later. I won't be sending any wooden materials, I know of lads in Australia with Ash Hurleys, I wonder how do they get them into the country? Its been 7-8 years since I was downunder but I do know they are very strict and I remember from that Nothing to Declare also. My aunt sent her daughter clothes earlier this year and it was returned back to Ireland because she had used a Fruit box to sent it in. I'm going to reuse a large Amazon box I got stuff in on Black Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Doltanian wrote: »
    I'm going to reuse a large Amazon box I got stuff in on Black Friday.

Be aware that you will probably be charged based on the dimensional size of the box, rather than the weight. The details are on the An Post website, but in essence it makes it very €€€ to post (think €60+). If you can keep it to a 'packet' size and the weight isn't too heavy it will be around €18. I managed to get one of the boxes that photocopy paper comes in sent as a package rate to send an xmas present - any bigger than that and it will likely be charged as a parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Probably because they had pest infestations in the wood. I've brought stuff in that looks ok and then they tap it and all these little bugs fall out :eek: They normally offer you the option of paying to get it fumigated if you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I brought some wooden items back from Thailand. It was just a matter of declaring them on arrival. They were inspected and cleared. If you send such items by post then you also have to declare them.

The thing my relatives used to take away on holidays was Barry's Tea. That is now available here in Woolies. There is a section with a few other Irish & UK imported goods. Recently they started to stock Clonakilty Black pudding too. It is made in Melbourne under license. I believe the spice mix comes from Cork and then it's made here.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 west20s

Also from this end, check the prohibited items list on An Post's website. You cannot send liquids, batteries etc... So no alcohol and certain food items

They get confiscated if they are contaminated/infested with bugs or have bark still attached as I said. Irish lads playing hurling bring in wooden hurls all the time.
    Wooden items are allowed into Australia if they are free from bark, insects, signs of insect damage (such as borer holes) or any other contamination

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Brin/Can-I-bring-it-back/Can-I-Bring-It-Back-Market-Goods-And-Shopping/Can-I-Bring-Wooden-and-Woven-Items-Back

Advertisement