Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will An Post leave package on doorstep if I request it?

Options
  • 03-12-2017 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

A delivery is scheduled to arrive on one day next week when I might be out for a few hours.

If I leave a note instructing the delivery man to leave the parcel at the front door would they, or do they have to give to a person?

Area is safe so the parcel won't be stolen, and I have CCTV ...not really required for the area tbh, but me just be cautious ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

mrcheez wrote: »
    A delivery is scheduled to arrive on one day next week when I might be out for a few hours.

If I leave a note instructing the delivery man to leave the parcel at the front door would they, or do they have to give to a person?

Area is safe so the parcel won't be stolen, and I have CCTV ...not really required for the area tbh, but me just be cautious ;)

I have had this happen before without even alerting them, so its likely it can be done. Maybe consult postie if you see him on his rounds and he can advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Our postman won't, I live rurally, quiet enough.
    But he won't if the parcel has to be signed for, I have an arrangement now and he leaves a note if there's a parcel and I collect it in the local shop. He said if I got a neighbour to agree they could be left in there either, but anything that Wont go through the box won't just be left on the doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm very rural and he will certainly leave a parcel of we're not home - even without asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'll see if I encounter him tomorrow, but will try the note anyway.

This is for non-signed boxes like Amazon deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Our postman doesn’t be very happy with doing it...so now if I know I won’t be home I give the PO a ring the day before and tell then to hold it for me and I will collect it on way home.

• Advertisement

I'll see if I encounter him tomorrow, but will try the note anyway.

This is for non-signed boxes like Amazon deliveries.

There's no reason he wouldn't leave the likes of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

harr wrote: »
    Our postman doesn’t be very happy with doing it...so now if I know I won’t be home I give the PO a ring the day before and tell then to hold it for me and I will collect it on way home.

Collection from the office isn't an option for me as I've no car at the moment, so would they redeliver on a separate date if leaving the box wasn't an option?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If it’s Amazon, they will usually send you a text saying there is a delivery on the way, and to text back if you want to organise delivery for a different time/date. They will deliver Amazon deliveries in the evening now, I think.

whiterebel wrote: »
    If it’s Amazon, they will usually send you a text saying there is a delivery on the way, and to text back if you want to organise delivery for a different time/date. They will deliver Amazon deliveries in the evening now, I think.

I get Amazon deliveries at least once a month and have never had a text regarding delivery. It just arrives and he leaves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

whiterebel wrote:

Do not TEXT, the number you get in the text or email is for the scanner and it can't receive texts, calls only. Call the number on the email/text and you can request it to be left with neighbour or in a safe place like a shed or bin even if it requires a signature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Collection from the office isn't an option for me as I've no car at the moment, so would they redeliver on a separate date if leaving the box wasn't an option?

Seems so, they used to charge for this service but now it appears to be free :)

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Managing+Mail/Redelivery/

I get Amazon deliveries at least once a month and have never had a text regarding delivery. It just arrives and he leaves it.

Not all amazon deliveries are bar coded, if it has a bar code and needs to be scanned you should automatically receive a text or email when the postie scans it out in the morning.
    Does amazon have your number or email address?

gerard2210 wrote: »
    Not all amazon deliveries are bar coded, if it has a bar code and needs to be scanned you should automatically receive a text or email when the postie scans it out in the morning.
    Does amazon have your number or email address?

Of course they have. Still never got a text or email about a pending delivery other than dispatch confirmation. Not that I want any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I get the texts not from amazon but from post office with the postmans mobile number so I can ring him to organise the delivery if I won’t be at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AnPost text you when it comes by Express Post (EP) but not when its basic Courier Post (CP).

The numbers appear to not receive SMS.

To your question, my postie puts it in the bin without even knocking or being instructed to do so.

ED E wrote:
    AnPost text you when it comes by Express Post (EP) but not when its basic Courier Post (CP).

The text/email has nothing to do with express or courier post.
    An post offer the service to companies with large volumes of packets/ parcels as part of the contract terms to compete with the couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I get a text with the postman's mobile number for almost all my Amazon (an post) deliveries but I'm one of the first houses on the round and sometimes the text arrives after the package.

I find that An Post are by far the best deliverer that Amazon use. I really dislike seeing iParcel as the deliverer but worst of all is Chronopost - worst ever!!

Advertisement