Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of bicycle for a commuter, new in cycling?

Options
  • 03-12-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hello all,
    I will be moving to Galway from Los Angeles in May. Growing up in Greece, where I am originally from, I used to have a mountain bike that I would ride for hours a day around the city, just for fun. I remember loving it. Of course, I have not cycled for over 10 years (I am 31 now) and since I will be landing in a new country, I am thinking to start cycling again.
    The reasons I am thinking that cycling in Ireland is a good option are:
    -Cheaper to own that a car (especially for someone starting a new life there)
    -Faster transportation especially in the city (although a bit unsafe)
    -Wanting to better my health
    -Enjoying nature better (I am aware that this has pros and cons since you are exposed to the elements)
    What do you ladies and gents think should be my choice? Mountain bike, road bike or something in between like a CX?
    I am currently 6' 1" (1.86) and I weigh 216 lbs (98 kg).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dublin is poor for cycling but Galway is possibly worse. Practice your route a good few times on a weekend before actually running it.

A commuter style bike (med road tyres, flat bars, well wearing frame) is probably what you want. Budget for good locks (10% of bike value), lights (vital) and wet weather gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 soghluaiste

I'd agree with the recommendation of a commuter or hybrid style bike... Worth also thinking about budgeting for good waterproof panniers I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would consider an electric bike, especially as you appear to be planning on not having a car. I can carry a lot of shopping etc due to having an electric bike, I also go to shops that would not have been on my radar on a normal bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 geanmage13

ED E wrote: »
    Dublin is poor for cycling but Galway is possibly worse. Practice your route a good few times on a weekend before actually running it.

A commuter style bike (med road tyres, flat bars, well wearing frame) is probably what you want. Budget for good locks (10% of bike value), lights (vital) and wet weather gear.
    Thank you for the info! I definitely need to check the route as soon as I get there and all bicycle options. :-) I was thinking that Galway might be better due to having less cars and smaller distance to commute. That is not the case?

I'd agree with the recommendation of a commuter or hybrid style bike... Worth also thinking about budgeting for good waterproof panniers I think.
    Thank you for the input! :-) I am currently looking into the hybrids, as I do not like the panniers. Although convenient, I would much rather like the looks of a waterproof backpack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

geanmage13 wrote: »
    Thank you for the info! I definitely need to check the route as soon as I get there and all bicycle options. :-) I was thinking that Galway might be better due to having less cars and smaller distance to commute. That is not the case?

Smaller distance maybe, but gridlock is worse and not improving (or so Im told by the galwegians).

rubadub wrote: »
    I would consider an electric bike, especially as you appear to be planning on not having a car. I can carry a lot of shopping etc due to having an electric bike, I also go to shops that would not have been on my radar on a normal bike.
    I am not planning on a car.. yet! It's difficult and costly enough moving to a new country. At least for the first 6 months I would assume :-) I honestly have not given an electric bicycle much thought before I but it definitely is a good alternative! Thank you so much for the recommendation...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Breadsons

Galway has heaps of cars and its rush hour surpasses much of Dublin, there are some nasty hills also up by Shantalla and Ballybrit. Their ring roads have good cycle lanes.

Considering all mentioned above would you still recommend a commuting bicycle? It sounds like I need a mountain bike to cut through parks, fields and whatever else I can cut through to avoid that traffic lmao

On a serious note though, I thought traffic was not as bad as Dublin. I am definitely considering something with off-road capabilities at this point...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

You don't say if you will be taking up employment or will be self-employed - You should look into the Bike to work scheme..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

Just a note on a few of the points raised here:

Firstly, welcome to Galway! Yes rush hour traffic is busier than Dublin, but it is safe to cycle around. There are far less trucks/ buses etc on the roads and no LUAS/ Metro rail lines. The main cross city east/west route has separated cycle lanes from traffic. Also, practically all other parks have gravel/ tar pathways through or around them, so narrow wheels will be fine. It is also a relatively small city centre, so easy to get around.
    Depending on where you plan to live/work a bicycle is a great way to get around the city, but be sure to have a good strong lock of the bike will quickly disappear. Also, spend money on proper wet gear - we get a lot of rain!!

Practice looking over your right shoulder we cycle on the left side of the road here !!!!

Also if I recall correctly we have our breaks and gears in the reverse of the US/EU though someone will confirm that for me ? I'm 99% sure we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I lived in Galway in 2005-2006 and cycled all the time. It was ok, but Galway has four main problems as I see it. One, the city is really a long narrow strip along the coast, so traffic is really compressed into two or three main roads. Two, parking is allowed on most roads except the main bypass, making them very narrow. Three the bypasses themselves have many roundabouts which are dangerous for cyclists. While there are bike lanes alongside them, they really part of the path, meaning that you have to give way at every junction and wait for the pedestrian lights. So I generally did not use them.

And to be really honest, I thought drivers in Galway were considerably less considerate towards cyclists than in Dublin/Wicklow. Don't let this put you off. cycling around Galway is perfectly practicable. The distances are short. I lived on top of a hill in Rahoon and that didn't bother me. But I find cycling in Dublin to be much more pleasant.

Regarding the type of bike. I used my road bike most of the time, but for a town bike you're probably better off with a sturdy commuter or mountain bike. There isn't a great deal of infrastructure in terms of trails but there are some nice off road trails up beside the river and in Merlin Park woods if I recall.

homer911 wrote: »
    You don't say if you will be taking up employment or will be self-employed - You should look into the Bike to work scheme..
    I will be looking to get work in hospitality so not sure if that is offered in all employment options..

ratracer wrote: »
    Just a note on a few of the points raised here:

Firstly, welcome to Galway! Yes rush hour traffic is busier than Dublin, but it is safe to cycle around. There are far less trucks/ buses etc on the roads and no LUAS/ Metro rail lines. The main cross city east/west route has separated cycle lanes from traffic. Also, practically all other parks have gravel/ tar pathways through or around them, so narrow wheels will be fine. It is also a relatively small city centre, so easy to get around.
    Depending on where you plan to live/work a bicycle is a great way to get around the city, but be sure to have a good strong lock of the bike will quickly disappear. Also, spend money on proper wet gear - we get a lot of rain!!
    Thank you! I have heard from a lot of people that bikes disappear if not properly stored or secured. As for the rain gear, living between California and Greece, not sure what you mean by proper rain gear? Maybe dedicated winter cycling gear?

Practice looking over your right shoulder we cycle on the left side of the road here !!!!

Also if I recall correctly we have our breaks and gears in the reverse of the US/EU though someone will confirm that for me ? I'm 99% sure we do.
    I look over my shoulders all the time anyways since I've been riding motorcycles for years. Now, cycling on the left will take a bit of getting used to. And even more if the breaks and gears are opposite 😠but hey.. it's part of the experience haha

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Quite a few people, myself included, run "euro brakes" in Ireland. This setup allows front braking to slow for a right turn while indicating.

Lumen wrote: »

Quite a few people, myself included, run "euro brakes" in Ireland. This setup allows front  braking to slow for a right turn while indicating.
    I tried picturing that and I think I went through a couple of brain cells.. hahaha So... front brake is on the right and back on the left?! That's gonna be fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I tried picturing that and I think I went through a couple of brain cells.. hahaha So... front brake is on the right and back on the left?! That's gonna be fun...
    No, Euro brakes have front on the left.

The conventional way allows "safer" one handed rear braking while indicating for a right turn, but I find it safer to be able to actually stop therefore want the more effective front brake on my left hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thank you for the input! :-) I am currently looking into the hybrids, as I do not like the panniers. Although convenient, I would much rather like the looks of a waterproof backpack.
    If your commute is any significant distance, I'd push for panniers over a backpack - no sweaty back, and the weight will help your stability keeping the back wheel anchored down. Dynamo lights are a big help and mudguards are essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd get a cheap bike to try it out before spending much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

If youre not to keen on maintenance and dont mind a little bit of extra weight, Id consider a hub gear:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057796093

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I'd get a cheap bike to try it out before spending much.
    Thats what I did earlier in the year I bought a cheap CX bike had it serviced at a local bike shop and off i went,  6k+ later I still use it as my daily ride and now have a "good" bike for cycling with groups.
    Spend small until you see it it works for you and then commit to it fully at a later date.

Advertisement