Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lambs Scratching.

• 03-12-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi, just after buying store lambs last week and grazing them outdoors, a few of them seem to be scratching off trees and poles but one is doing alot of scratching with her back legs around her neck and front legs, checked her 2day and all seems ok, no raw skin or sign of maggots just think they need doing for lice or the likes, what do he recommend for them, click, dip them or would the likes of spot on do them ? Probably a silly question but it’s my first time with sheep. Tia for any replies. Homer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Could be lice - bouts of mild damp weather at this time of year really bring them on. Though I personally have only encountered them in housed stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Homer jay

What would you recommend, click, dip or would the likes of spot on do them ? Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

Homer jay wrote: »
    Hi, just after buying store lambs last week and grazing them outdoors, a few of them seem to be scratching off trees and poles but one is doing alot of scratching with her back legs around her neck and front legs, checked her 2day and all seems ok, no raw skin or sign of maggots just think they need doing for lice or the likes, what do he recommend for them, click, dip them or would the likes of spot on do them ? Probably a silly question but it’s my first time with sheep. Tia for any replies. Homer.
    You have got lice. Marts and livestock trailers are lethal places for it.
    0.75 ml of ivomec classic injection tomorrow and repeat it in 7 days. That will clear it up and fulfill your worm dose requirements.

That great, thanks kk.man. Hopefully that will do the trick. 👍👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

I had this problem a few months ago with a batch of hoggets I bought in the mart. All showed no signs until a week or so after arrival then they started scratching. I never had this problem before and spoke to the vet who recommended Ivomec Classic/Noromectin injections 7 days apart. He also recommended treatment with Spotinor pour-on with the first injection which I used also. Scratching stopped after approx. 11-12 days.

• Advertisement

That’s great Tom, will do them with spotinor pour on as well as the ivomec and hopefully that will clear it up. Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

Sounds like lice or mites.

2 ml of Dectomox will solve it.

Thanks Daviddenis, have them done with the ivomec classic and spotinor and will do with ivomec again in 7 days, hopefully this will work or else I will be trying dectomox as you recommended. Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

have them done with the ivomec classic and spotinor and will do with ivomec again in 7 days

Homer, where do you give injection? My first year with lambs and I need to do a few aswell I think

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EVeeAGI_b1E
    This is the way I done them using a 17gX half inch needle.

• Advertisement

Just to follow up, gave the lambs the second injection of ivomec classic on Friday seven days after the first injection and spotinor pour on and have had a great result from it, all scratching has stopped. Thanks again for the advice. Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

Just to follow up, gave the lambs the second injection of ivomec classic on Friday seven days after the first injection and spotinor pour on and have had a great result from it, all scratching has stopped. Thanks again for the advice. Homer.
    No problem, great news.
    Just a point. The ivomec classic injection on it's own would have done the job.

Advertisement