Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma 3 bed duplex or 3 bed old house same town

Options
  • 03-12-2017 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My apologies if this is the wrong place to post. Widow. Need to move house financial reasons. Cannot decide between 2 options. 2 children secondary school. Im getting older and some health issues. Kids friends not far from duplex. Small group of duplexs own door apartment. Top floor. 1 duplex house/apartment either side. Worried about noise and no garden. Less maintenance than house. Duplex Good ber rating. Versus house nice Back garden but other side of town. Low ber rating. More maintenance. No worries re noise. Possibly more privacy. Any feedback appreciated as need to make decision soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Living in a cold house with no money to fix it up or heat it properly is no fun.

I don't think I went into my garden once as a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I'd normally agree with duplex (sounds like good area, warm, easy to look after, and in practice close neighbours are usually quiet...), but curious about mobility issues in future years, as sometimes these duplexes have stairs leading to them outside?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Dardania wrote: »
    I'd normally agree with duplex (sounds like good area, warm, easy to look after, and in practice close neighbours are usually quiet...), but curious about mobility issues in future years, as sometimes these duplexes have stairs leading to them outside?

That would be my concern. Also where is the parking space for the duplex? I know there are duplexes in my complex but the upper ones have their parking space around the corner, so if you have mobility issues, lugging the groceries in could be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sparkle 40

Think that's my concern aswell re mobility but everyone seems to recommend top floor duplex if going for one. I need to make a decision but unfortunately none of the options perfect. Duplex seems lovely buy then I'm thinking would the house be wiser move re getting old etc but then there is maintenance. Thanks so much for your replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Sparkle 40 wrote: »
    Think that's my concern aswell re mobility but everyone seems to recommend top floor duplex if going for one. I need to make a decision but unfortunately none of the options perfect.  Duplex seems lovely buy then I'm thinking would the house be wiser move re getting old etc but then there is maintenance.  Thanks so much for your replies so far.
    If worst came to worst, you could fit an outdoor stairlift - be much cheaper than renovating an older house...

Forgot to ask: perhaps the duplex is in a gated community? Might feel a bit safer too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Sparkle 40

Leaning towards duplex but didn't factor in management fees 900 per annum. Good idea re stair lift future years. Cannot afford to stay where I am at present so unfortunately choices ltd. I suppose something in my head also niggling re house. ThinkING lot of money for mgt fees. Would maintenance heating etc on older house be more expensive. Afraid of making wrong decision. So hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭californiabear

Is it a linear A or B decision? Could there be other options coming onto the market? It seems that you have challenges with both of the current options, so perhaps better to wait for something more suitable.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sparkle 40 wrote: »
    Leaning towards duplex but didn't factor in management fees 900 per annum. Good idea re stair lift future years. Cannot afford to stay where I am at present so unfortunately choices ltd. I suppose something in my head also niggling re house. ThinkING lot of money for mgt fees. Would maintenance heating etc on older house be more expensive. Afraid of making wrong decision. So hard.

you dont have to stay in the duplex forever either......

my opinion would be, if you could afford to do some insulation works on the house then its a better option. If health is an issue then less noise, less stairs, privacy and garden space are all important factors. You could look into SEAI better energy scheme where a grant would cover about 25% of the costs, or, if you can avail of it, their warmer homes scheme grant would cover 100% of costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jennyjo

Hi All!

We have applied for SEAI Fully funded grant (formerly warmer homes) as we receive Domiciliary Care allowance. We fit the application criteria but in terms of the property suitability, the house is old circa 1920. Will SEAI cover the retrofit on a property of this age?

Advertisement