Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brass/copper kettle

• 03-12-2017 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Picked this up at a fair recently. Was planning on using it while camping on an open fire but after searching for similar ones online it seems like it might be an antique. Has a stamp on the base with a scimitar and Sartic S.A.

Any ideas on its provenance and how I could get it valued. If it's worthless that's ok - it'll be coming to the forest with me and hung over a fire. But if it's valuable I'd hate to ruin it.

Pics attached.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Orion wrote: »
    Picked this up at a fair recently. Was planning on using it while camping on an open fire but after searching for similar ones online it seems like it might be an antique. Has a stamp on the base with a scimitar and Sartic S.A.

Any ideas on its provenance and how I could get it valued. If it's worthless that's ok - it'll be coming to the forest with me and hung over a fire. But if it's valuable I'd hate to ruin it.

Pics attached.

It's certainly not old in any way.

It looks to be Arabic or Islamic in style ,as well as the dagger motif on the bottom.

My guess would be it's from Morocco/Algeria/Tunisia or somewhere like that.

If I were you I'd use it..its absolutely designed to hang over a campfire .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I was thinking Turkish.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Esel wrote: »
    I was thinking Turkish.

Nah,it's arabic script..turks have their own alphabet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

MysticMonk wrote: »
    It's certainly not old in any way.

It looks to be Arabic or Islamic in style ,as well as the dagger motif on the bottom.

My guess would be it's from Morocco/Algeria/Tunisia or somewhere like that.

If I were you I'd use it..its absolutely designed to hang over a campfire .

Perfect. Now I won't feel guilty using it as planned.

Advertisement