Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from politics for posting tweet

Options
  • 04-12-2017 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

This is totally ridiculous. I was banned from politics for posting a very relevant and important tweet from RTE to the convo in question.

The moderator told me he deleted it. Then I explained I am not in the loop and the tweet was self-explanatory.

Here it is.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/937566510708674560

Why was I banned!?

Totally ridiculous and unfair. The ban appears to be permanent. Seriously??
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

This isn't the place to argue the merits of a ban - that's what DRP is for.

That being said, looking at the moderation history of that thread, you don't seem to have been banned for simply posting a tweet. Your original post was pulled because it's considered link dumping - dropping in a link to an external source, without qualifying it with any form of opinion or discussion fo your own. That's long been considered something that's not allowed in the politics forum.

Your ban (which is, incidentally, for one day, not permanent), was for arguing moderation in-thread, which I see you did repeatedly.

If you still feel that the ban was unjust, and wish to argue the validity of the ban, you are welcome to do so in the Dispute Resolution forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

mike_ie wrote: »
    This isn't the place to argue the merits of a ban - that's what DRP is for.

That being said, looking at the moderation history of that thread, you don't seem to have been banned for simply posting a tweet. Your original post was pulled because it's considered link dumping - dropping in a link to an external source, without qualifying it with any form of opinion or discussion fo your own. That's long been considered something that's not allowed in the politics forum.

Your ban (which is, incidentally, for one day, not permanent), was for arguing moderation in-thread, which I see you did repeatedly.

If you still feel that the ban was unjust, and wish to argue the validity of the ban, you are welcome to do so in the Dispute Resolution forum.

Ok if it's for one day but seriously? Was any malice intended?

Yet we have a poster that keeps posting with "Good morning, afternoon, evening!" as the intro along with "many thanks" and his username underneath - on purpose - pointed out repeatedly by me and many others as being annoying and makes the thread unreadable on mobile.

Nothing done.

Priorities?

Ok if it's for one day but seriously? Was any malice intended?

Yet we have a poster that keeps posting with "Good morning, afternoon, evening!" as the intro along with "many thanks" and his username underneath - on purpose - pointed out repeatedly by me and many others as being annoying and makes the thread unreadable on mobile.

Nothing done.

Priorities?

I imagine that, your own personal dislike of how the other poster formats his replies notwithstanding, he or she isn't in breach of the forum charter.

I took a look for examples just now, and I found that you raised the point - yesterday - and a moderator replied that although he didn't feel the poster was doing anything to be in breach of the charter, he would discuss it with the other mods. Your point was taken onboard for discussion - it's a little disingenuous to say that nothing was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

mike_ie wrote: »
    I imagine that, your own personal dislike of how the other poster formats his replies notwithstanding, he or she isn't in breach of the forum charter.

I took a look for examples just now, and I found that you raised the point - yesterday - and a moderator replied that although he didn't feel the poster was doing anything to be in breach of the charter, he would discuss it with the other mods. Your point was taken onboard for discussion - it's a little disingenuous to say that nothing was done.

I take it therefore said poster will refrain from annoying everyone with that?

Me posting a very important tweet v that does not compare.

Thanks.

I take it therefore said poster will refrain from annoying everyone with that?

Me posting a very important tweet v that does not compare.

Thanks.

No. You're trying to take two very separate circumstances, and somehow equate them to representing an injustice performed against you. That is not the case.

Your actions were a direct violation of the forum charter - both dumping links without opinion, and arguing a mod action on-thread, when the mod removed said link. The mod actioned the latter.

The other poster's actions - other than apparently rubbing you up the wrong way - don't violate the forum charter. And I believe the moderator addressed that in the thread. If their posting style genuinely irritates you that much, then feel free to use the ignore function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You created this thread to discuss your ban. We will not discuss moderation of other individuals and it is not fair to deflect by drawing in the actions of others.

If you wish to appeal your ban, please review the DRP process and act accordingly, as earlier suggested by Mike.

Advertisement