Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability parking

Options
  • 04-12-2017 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Just want to get peoples opinions here and see how many it annoys when someone parks in disability parking and if you actually go and say something to the person.

We have had complaints about us for parking in them because we don’t have a permit. My wife is missing her left arm and is registered as being disabled and I have a slip disc in my lower back that causes me constant agony but yet we are not entitled to the permit and there are people out there that are simply overweight that get it no bother. If it’s not visible people complain about you parking in them and if it is like with my wife they still complain. We were talking to a security guard we know in the local shopping center and he said someone complained that we were parked in one of the spots, he told her about my wife and the woman said that’s no excuse. What’s your opinion on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm sorry Kaleb, but I don't think you are going to get a lot of sympathy here for your argument. If you don't have a permit you don't park in disability spots.

The point of the disability badge is to clarify who is entitled and who is not, and it is to do with mobility. Not having an arm, while very unfortunate, does not really affect your ability to walk, so why would you need to use a disability spot? Again, the slipped disc is no doubt painful and restrictive, but people have lots of issues that don't get them a disability badge.

If you really feel you should be entitled to one, then apply for it. Parking in the precious few slots when you do not have one is going to get you grief though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You've said "people who are simply overweight get them" and gone on to talk about invisible illnesses - can you see the irony there?

No you aren't entitled to park in a disabled space without a permit. Unless you have one please don't do so, you're stopping people who have applied and been granted one (and who have proven genuine need).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Christian2015

The two people who already replied should be ashamed of themselves, in this day and age a disability is a disability no matter what it is, if the permit is meant for only uses with mobility then change the name of the permit, I know quite a few who have gotten it on grounds that they where over weight constricting their walking and mobility, it is a joke that this couple are not entitled to it, I know them and they have a special needs two year old and still can’t get it, every disabled person should be treated equally,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

The two people who already replied should be ashamed of themselves, in this day and age a disability is a disability no matter what it is, if the permit is meant for only uses with mobility then change the name of the permit, I know quite a few who have gotten it on grounds that they where over weight constricting their walking and mobility, it is a joke that this couple are not entitled to it, I know them and they have a special needs two year old and still can’t get it, every disabled person should be treated equally,

What part of "invisible illnesses" did you misunderstand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Kaleb2015 wrote: »
    Just want to get peoples opinions here and see how many it annoys when someone parks in disability parking and if you actually go and say something to the person.

We have had complaints about us for parking in them because we don’t have a permit. My wife is missing her left arm and is registered as being disabled and I have a slip disc in my lower back that causes me constant agony but yet we are not entitled to the permit and there are people out there that are simply overweight that get it no bother. If it’s not visible people complain about you parking in them and if it is like with my wife they still complain. We were talking to a security guard we know in the local shopping center and he said someone complained that we were parked in one of the spots, he told her about my wife and the woman said that’s no excuse. What’s your opinion on it?

I fully sympathise with your situation, and I know how life can be challenging.
    Now I won't pretend to know the criteria set out for disabled badges for cars, but I am sure that they do apply the same to each application, and if refused I presume may be appealed.
    But the badge is unfortunately the only way anyone can determine if the car should or should not be parked in the marked parking bays.
    If its the one thing in life that grates my bones is people who blatantly abuse and park in these limited spaces without permits. But equally annoying is seeing people who are using the permit to save themselves walking an extra 10 metres when the permit is obviously not for them, but for another family member.
    In saying that, if I see someone pulling into the space without a permit to drop off someone who is elderly or someway incapacitated, then fine, usually they move the car to avoid a penalty. But if they left the car there and went off about their business, who is to know if its not just another inconsiderate twat too lazy to walk ??
    I would suggest you appeal the application if you feel it is appropriate. Until then, it would be best to avoid the marked spaces to avoid the possibility of clamping or fines as I have noticed my local shopping centre is now clamping cars without permits and the Garda are handing out fines under "Operation Enable".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

every disabled person should be treated equally,

So you're saying that every disabled person, including those with the mildest, slightest level of disability should have the same access to disabled parking? Have you any idea what this would do to availability of the spaces?

So you're saying that every disabled person, including those with the mildest, slightest level of disability should have the same access to disabled parking? Have you any idea what this would do to availability of the spaces?

Anyone with a level of mobility impairment high enough that they qualify to apply for access to disabled spaces should get one, yes. They are not available merely for the asking. The person needs proof they are disabled enough in a specific way that affects their mobility, including disorders that cause undue fatigue and pain, and including temporary mobility impairment after surgery, for example.

As for availability of the spaces, what are you on about? If more are needed, I don't doubt that the country will adjust the number required and someone else will get out there with a paint can. The rest of us who don't need spaces, well, don't need them.

(I draw the line at considering "being pregnant" or "having kids in the car" a mobility impairment, however. If you are genuinely mobility impaired while pregnant, that's a separate issue.)

Speedwell wrote: »
    Anyone with a level of mobility impairment high enough that they qualify to apply for access to disabled spaces should get one, yes. They are not available merely for the asking. The person needs proof they are disabled enough in a specific way that affects their mobility, including disorders that cause undue fatigue and pain, and including temporary mobility impairment after surgery, for example.
    Previous poster said nothing about 'level of mobility' - just that everyone with a disability should get a badge, which makes little sense.

What you describe above is basically the current rules, as far as I can make out.
    As for availability of the spaces, what are you on about? If more are needed, I don't doubt that the country will adjust the number required and someone else will get out there with a paint can. The rest of us who don't need spaces, well, don't need them.
    Have you ever tried to get extra spaces provided in a town or city?

Have you ever tried to get extra spaces provided in a town or city?

Yes, as a matter of fact. Many places. Successfully. In the US you mention the ADA to a business after having visited it with a friend in a wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I help people to fill forms and the DPB is a real eye opener as to the entitlement culture.
    “I’ve got asthma/diabetes/angina/high blood pressure/arthritis/rheumatism/IBS and I want to apply for a DPB please”.
    Just as well I can refer them to the IWA to ask for a form.

• Advertisement

Yes, as a matter of fact. Many places. Successfully. In the US you mention the ADA to a business after having visited it with a friend in a wheelchair.

I'm talking about in Ireland. Are you?

I'm talking about in Ireland. Are you?

I've only been here a few years and I live out in the country. Do your bit where you live and I'll do my bit where I live.

I've only been here a few years and I live out in the country. Do your bit where you live and I'll do my bit where I live.

Your ADA reference made me think you might be talking about the States. Getting extra spaces provided is not an easy task.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

And then you have this problem as well..

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/939606970662834176

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Its unbelieveable that your wife cant get a badge with her level of disability. But in saying that if you dont have a badge you should not park in disabled spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My badge has elapsed and I cannot afford to get the new one. I learned that many folk think they are free? E35, a lot for a pensioner. And the photos... I qualify and no problems getting the form filled.

When you look at the cost of running a car - my insurance just went up by €100 for no very good reason that I could see, and that was after I had complained and got it reduced by about €60 - tax, servicing etc, and the fact that you save on parking costs, €17.50 a year is not that outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Another big problem (for some) is having to get severely disabled persons down to the local Garda station to have their photos verified and stamped.

looksee wrote: »
    When you look at the cost of running a car - my insurance just went up by €100 for no very good reason that I could see, and that was after I had complained and got it reduced by about €60 - tax, servicing etc, and the fact that you save on parking costs, €17.50 a year is not that outrageous.

I understand but i only park in eg supermarket areas;aldi and lidl are free..Not that ti is outrageous just cannot find it.

Graces7 wrote: »
    My badge has elapsed and I cannot afford to get the new one. I learned that many folk think they are free? E35, a lot for a pensioner. And the photos... I qualify and no problems getting the form filled.

Compared to what a non badge holder has to pay throughout the year I think 35e is more than reasonable

• Advertisement

lulu1 wrote: »
    Compared to what a non badge holder has to pay throughout the year I think 35e is more than reasonable

Coming at it from different place.... I live on a small pension and finding E35 is impossible for me. And rarely am where I need to pay for parking. But getting more and more limited as the years pass so soon will not be going anywhere much

I was also told that even with a badge we have to pay for parking?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Coming at it from different place.... I live on a small pension and finding E35 is impossible for me. And rarely am where I need to pay for parking. But getting more and more limited as the years pass so soon will not be going anywhere much

I was also told that even with a badge we have to pay for parking?

So sorry that you are finding it hard to stretch to 35e but even you put 1e a day into a jar you would have the 35e saved in just over a month
    As far as i know if you have a badge you dont have to pay because you are already paying your 35e

No, you don't pay for parking - it would be a bit counter productive to have to get from the car to the pay machine and back, it would negate the advantage of convenient parking.

So sorry that you are finding it hard to stretch to 35e but even you put 1e a day into a jar you would have the 35e saved in just over a month
    As far as i know if you have a badge you dont have to pay because you are already paying your 35e

Just in case you're not aware of the additional costs that many people with disabilities face to survive;

http://disableinequality.ie/disability-and-income-factsheet-jan-2016/

Just in case you're not aware of the additional costs that many people with disabilities face to survive;

http://disableinequality.ie/disability-and-income-factsheet-jan-2016/
    Unfortunatly i am all to aware of it thats why disaabled spots should be kept for people who have disabilities (what this thread started off with).and who pay for their badge. Try living on 207euro a week and pay 60e a week to try and pay the bus fare to get 2 kids home from collage at weekends and another teen in the house. and thats just a fraction of costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Kaleb2015

Unfortunatly i am all to aware of it thats why disaabled spots should be kept for people who have disabilities (what this thread started off with).and who pay for their badge. Try living on 207euro a week and pay 60e a week to try and pay the bus fare to get 2 kids home from collage at weekends and another teen in the house. and thats just a fraction of costs

Since I posted about this we have gotten the badge and find that it’s great having it but it’s leaving us more stressed at times. Every time we park in a disabled spot we are getting daggers from people with and without the badge. People in this country can be very judging. If they can’t see the disability as clear as day then you get the look. We parked in the town center not long ago and a woman went and reported us for using a badge that wasn’t ours because it wasn’t obvious. We know the security guard so he put her straight but wheather you have it or not you can’t win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Since I posted about this we have gotten the badge and find that it’s great having it but it’s leaving us more stressed at times. Every time we park in a disabled spot we are getting daggers from people with and without the badge. People in this country can be very judging. If they can’t see the disability as clear as day then you get the look. We parked in the town center not long ago and a woman went and reported us for using a badge that wasn’t ours because it wasn’t obvious. We know the security guard so he put her straight but wheather you have it or not you can’t win.

Ignore ignore ignore.
    One more thing.
    Ignore.
    If anyone approaches you just smile politely and tell them that they should ring The Disabled Drivers Association and report their concern. Offer to give them the phone number.
    The people who are important to you know that you need the badge.
    No one else matters, they’re nobodies.

I would stare them out of it as long as you have it your entitiled to use it

• Advertisement

That's the thing though, these people are trying to look out for disabled drivers!

Granted they are missing a point but they are doing it with the best intentions. If anyone says anything you could answer 'thank you for being concerned, disabilities are not always all that obvious but I do have a card' and a smile. If you are being glared at, catch their eye and smile indicating a willingness to be open with them. Lets encourage the people willing to get involved in the fight!

Advertisement