Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking/Hiking in Wales advice

Options
  • 04-12-2017 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    My folks are big into walking and hiking, so looking to get them a trip to Snowdonia for a few days.

Has anyone ever done this and used public transport? Dont think they would be keen on driving abroad.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,457 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, I've done it once. The centre we used was Betws-y-Coed which is fairly easily accessible by train using a Sail Rail ticket from Dublin to Holyhead, then train from Holyhead to Lllandudno Jumction where you change to get to Betws-y-Coed.

Once there, there are some nice woodland walks starting close to the town centre, or if they want to go further afield there's a shuttle bus service called the Snowdon Sherpa that takes you to the more popular walking areas such as Snowdon and the Ogwen Valley (Tryfan, Glyders and Carneddau).

Town wise, there's plenty of hotels, b&b's, pubs and restaurants, and possibly one of the highest concentrations of outdoor shops in one place I've seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

A few of us went to climb Snowdon (and did) a few years ago. We got the fast ferry over and rented a car. There's no need to fear driving in Wales...they drive on the left and speak english. I'd suggest going to Llanberis. As far as I remember it's less than an hour from Holyhead by car.

You can walk straight up from Llanberis (about 9 miles there and back - approx 6 hours)...it's a decent gradual walk and suited to those who are less fit and reminds me very much of the walk from Fentons to Lugnaquilla(without the rocky bit)...if your folks are fairly fit, then the Miners or Pyg path would suit...they're both around 3.5 miles and take around 4 hours depending on fitness.
    Of course, if they don't fancy taking it on, they can get a train straight to the summit from Llanberis too...
    This all dependent on weather. As soon as snow arrives, Snowdon can be fairly unpleasant...and very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I loved Firbanks' book, I Bought a Mountain - put it in their Christmas stocking for them!

Have been there twice - stayed on the Lleyn Peninsula once and in Betws y Coed once always had our own car. As above, you drive on left so simple enough. Got the train up once with 2 and 3 yr olds and walked (with more serious walker friends) the other time. Fabulous. It's 10 yrs or more since we were there but accommodation options were far more oldfashioned at that stage than equivalent Irish options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Thanks folks - looking at basing them in bangor. Looks like a nice town and the sherpa bus goes through it.
    Has anyone been to Bangor?

Bangor is nice enough, a university town, but if it's walking they're into, I'd think Betws-y-Coed would be a better choice personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I agree with Alun - Bangor is a lovely city but if they were in Betws-y-Coed, they'd be surrounded by other walkers, walks, mountains and fabulous scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Great stuff folks - booked them into a nice guesthouse in Betws...

Also booked them onto the ferry with their car.

Appreciate all the help - the names of all the towns were putting me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Ah that's great to hear...hope they have a great time!

That's great, they'll enjoy it, I'm sure. If they're into their outdoor gear tell them to wait on any purchases until they get there, loads of outdoor shops including a huge Cotswold Outdoors, next to the main pub in the town, the Royal Oak, also one of the better options for eating out in the evenings.

Advertisement