Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this good value?

Options
  • 04-12-2017 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

My brother is buying a PC for his kids for gaming and a little bit of programming.
    Do you guys think this would be okay and is it good value? Its £600

ASUS G11CD Core I5-6400 8GB 1TB GTX 970 DVD-RW Windows 10 Gaming Desktop

Tech Spec

Key Specification
    Processor manufacturer Intel
    Processor Model Intel Core i5
    Processor Number 6400
    Graphics GeForce GTX 970
    RAM Memory 8GB
    Hard drive capacity 1TB
    Operating System Windows 10
    Optical Drive SATA DVD+/-RW 16x SuperMult
    Manufacturer Warranty 1 year warranty
    Form factor ATX
    Processor
    Processor Model Intel Core i5
    Processor Number 6400
    Clock Speed 2.7GHz
    Memory
    RAM Memory 8GB
    Storage
    Hard drive capacity 1TB
    Graphics
    Graphic Type Dedicated
    Graphics Manufacturer NVIDIA
    Graphics card GeForce GTX 970
    Graphics Memory 4GB
    Media
    Optical Drive SATA DVD+/-RW 16x SuperMult
    Operating system
    Operating System Windows 10
    Keyboard and Mouse
    Peripherals Keyboard and Mouse
    Warranty
    Warranty 1 year warranty

He's not interested in building one himself like I suggested.

What do you think? Any better suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That's actually not bad, usually prebuilds are a rip off.

If there's an option with an SSD built in I would go for that, or else pick one up on Amazon (120gb minimum). Makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That's actually not bad, usually prebuilds are a rip off.

If there's an option with an SSD built in I would go for that, or else pick one up on Amazon (120gb minimum). Makes a big difference.

Thanks. I thought price was good, just a little worried about the CPU not being up to much. 2.7Ghz doesn't feel like a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Blackgator wrote: »
    Thanks. I thought price was good, just a little worried about the CPU not being up to much. 2.7Ghz doesn't feel like a lot.

It boosts up to 3.3GHz

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The i5-6400 is one of the best Skylake CPU's in terms of power/price. Barely lags behind the 6600K. It's not going to bottleneck a GTX 970. You'll have 60+FPS in most recent titles on Ultra 1080p settings.

I have essentially the exact same system, I just have my 6400 overclocked to 4.3Ghz.

The i5-6400 is one of the best Skylake CPU's in terms of power/price. Barely lags behind the 6600K. It's not going to bottleneck a GTX 970. You'll have 60+FPS in most recent titles on Ultra 1080p settings.

I have essentially the exact same system, I just have my 6400 overclocked to 4.3Ghz.

Is that through SkyOC using an older BIOS or something? I remember those non-K Skylakes were overclockable, until they weren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Is that through SkyOC using an older BIOS or something? I remember those non-K Skylakes were overclockable, until they weren't.

It was initially through SkyOC using an old bios, until my BIOS corrupted itself a few months ago and I had to flash it.

Turned out that Asrock had quietly enabled BCLK overclocking on the later versions of the BIOS and fixed it so it worked properly and all reporting systems were functional. So it now works better than before :pac:

It was initially through SkyOC using an old bios, until my BIOS corrupted itself a few months ago and I had to flash it.

Turned out that Asrock had quietly enabled BCLK overclocking on the later versions of the BIOS and fixed it so it worked properly and all reporting systems were functional. So it now works better than before :pac:

I wondered about that, I upgraded from an i3-6300 to 7600K and had to update the BIOS to run the Kaby Lake chip on a Z170, spotted SkyOC in the BIOS menu when I updated. It hadn't been there previously as I built my system after Intel tried to block the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Someone posted this from Overclockers in another thread. its fairly similar performance wise, but has newer CPU and GPU. Might be a better option

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gaming-vision-vr-gaming-pc-intel-8th-generation-3.6ghz-quad-core-fs-1c5-og.html

Advertisement