Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre only 12mb??

Options
  • 04-12-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Ive been trying to sign up to Fibre but been told it will actually be slower than regular broadband.
    We currently get 15/18mb from regular connection but been told it will actually drop to 12mb if we switch to fibre?
    Our neighbours about 50 yards away can get 100mb? 
    Any idea how I can improve it?
    fibrerollout.ie says we are fully enabled but still only return 12mb when i test the line??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

neilwhite wrote: »
    Ive been trying to sign up to Fibre but been told it will actually be slower than regular broadband.
    We currently get 15/18mb from regular connection but been told it will actually drop to 12mb if we switch to fibre?
    fibrerollout.ie says we are fully enabled but still only return 12mb when i test the line??
    Hi neilwhite,

Thanks for getting in touch. It is possible that you can only receive speeds of 12mb with fibre, however, our fibre broadband is uncongested. If your line is capable of holding a maximum speed of 12mb we won't be able to speed this up. If you PM me your eircode I'll check on this for you.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9 neilwhite

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi neilwhite,

Thanks for getting in touch. It is possible that you can only receive speeds of 12mb with fibre, however, our fibre broadband is uncongested. If your line is capable of holding a maximum speed of 12mb we won't be able to speed this up. If you PM me your eircode I'll check on this for you.

- Adam
    Adam,
    Sent you a PM a few hours ago, any update on this?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Old broadband is ADSL and "Fibre" is VDSL. The former is optimized for long range, the latter for short range. In the middle there's an area that ADSL IS actually faster.

You're probably 1800m or so from the main exchange for your area(find it here http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/ use the NGA button) and if thats correct then dont bother upgrading, its just tough luck and cannot be changed. 

ED E wrote: »
    Thanks ED E, i just checked and the distance according to the map is 820m so should be getting 50mb or so?
    Thanks ED E, i just checked and the distance according to the map is 820m so should be getting 50mb or so?

Assuming that unit is labeled as E01 and not some other number. 

• Advertisement

Assuming that unit is labeled as E01 and not some other number. 
    Its marked as E01?

Yeah, rates should be better so. That has a 1700m range. 

It can be a bad prequal (test) on the line that throws it. Worth having the reps here test your line looking for bad shorts or any earthing. 

It can be a bad prequal (test) on the line that throws it. Worth having the reps here test your line looking for bad shorts or any earthing. 
    THanks ED E,
    Have PM'd rep so waiting to hear back since early this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

THanks ED E,
    Thanks, I've responded to your PM.

- Adam

eir: Adam wrote: »

THanks ED E,
    Thanks, I've responded to your PM.

- Adam
    Thanks for the PM, bit it didnt answer my question!

• Advertisement
Advertisement