Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goat or mutton anywhere?

Options
  • 04-12-2017 3:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to cook Jamaican curried goat for a soiree i'm having...the recipie calls for either goat or mutton neither of which i've seen in any of my local butchers. Anybody got an idea where i can source one or the other?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Check the market at temple bar on saturday. There is a stand there that sells goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

FX Buckleys on Moore St do goat. I have also found it in many of the Asian/Indian food shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Just ask yer local butcher to source some for you. If he doesn't then you probably need a better butcher. Most butchers will be happy to order it, mutton in particular is still fairly common.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

OldGoat wrote: »
    Just ask yer local butcher to source some for you. If he doesn't then you probably need a better butcher. Most butchers will be happy to order it, mutton in particular is still fairly common.

Username checks out.

• Advertisement

I've been using goat meat recipes as my Boards signature for years. Odd thing is that my fondness for goat-meat and my username are totally coincidental. I had the name long before my first encounter with goat-meat and long before Boards existed too, and long before I grew a smeg of a beard.

/Takes a long hard look at myself

Oh god, what have I become? I AM CAPRINE!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

I've been using goat meat recipes as my Boards signature for years. Odd thing is that my fondness for goat-meat and my username are totally coincidental. I had the name long before my first encounter with goat-meat and long before Boards existed too, and long before I grew a smeg of a beard.

/Takes a long hard look at myself

Oh god, what have I become? I AM CAPRINE!

Chuck us up a decent recipie for curried goat so! :)

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Chuck us up a decent recipie for curried goat so! :)
    's easy. Take yore favourite curry recipe, remove specified meat, replace with goat-meat. :) My current signature (for those who have sigs turned off) is a tagine with preserved lemons and apricots.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,147 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Intrigued... do let us know OP if you quest is successful and whether you found mutton or goat to be better in the dish than lamb or beef or venison etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

's easy. Take yore favourite curry recipe, remove specified meat, replace with goat-meat. :) My current signature (for those who have sigs turned off) is a tagine with preserved lemons and apricots.

Nah Mon..dis gotta be jamaican curried goat!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

where do you get your preserved lemons ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

foodaholic wrote: »

I've gotten them in fallon and bryne, but would be interested in other sources if people have them

foodaholic wrote: »
    I make 'em. I usually follow the following link...
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1977656/preserved-lemons

I use less star anise as my kids hate it...the feckers. Also, you don't need to store them for a month, they are usually ready to go within a week.

I used to mix my own "rass el han" but then I found it on the shelf in Nolans (Clontarf).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anywhere to get kid goat? I heard that's nice

RasTa wrote: »

That's what i'm looking for..although i've been told mutton is perfectly acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I have had kid goat plenty of times. Its lovely, a lighter leaner lamb.

Many of the Asian/Spice shops do it. My mother is from Northern Mexico and spatchcocked kid goat over a fire is the typical birthday or family gathering meal, the meat is often then pulled apart and used for tacos or eaten on its own or with some salsa.

Goat meat provides about the same protein as lamb with less calories, goat milk also has much lower lactose than cows milk, many people who have issues with typical dairy can consume goats milk or cheese without the same issues as with cow dairy.

Hopefully it becomes more popular. They are easy to rear animals and a great alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive seen mutton in the large EurAsia Market in Fonthill near Liffey Valley shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Temple Bat Market on Saturday, there a crew there that sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

RasTa wrote: »

These are the guys who are at the Temple Bar market every Sat
    http://broughgammon.com/

They sell kid goat, they raise the unwanted billy goats from the dairy sector.

Advertisement