Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acid attack on Dublin woman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’ve just provided you with a link to welfare’s own website re prisoners and JSA but, no, we’ll all believe you instead...

Plus I was literally working in a prison today and can back that up... unless it's changed in the last hour.

Candie wrote: »
    The thinly disguised glee that some posters greet incidents like this is disturbing. Anything that confirms their prejudices is lit on, and in this case nobody even knows the whole story yet.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your there Candie. It's not thinly veiled at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I only heard this on the RTÉ 6.1 news this evening. What a frightening & disgraceful attack to carry out on this poor woman. Whoever man who was caught inflicting this attack on her is a sick scumbag & a vile excuse for a human being. I would hope that this is not the start of a trend of frequent acid attacks happening in Ireland. I really wish that she will get an early Christmas present this year from the Gardai in getting this scumbag caught immediately & be sent to prison for a very long time, preferably a life sentence. I hope that she will get some immediate treatment for her injuries to ease the consequence of this vile attack. That will be some justice for her & a huge bit of karma inflicted on the sick **** who did this vile act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Omackeral wrote: »
    Plus I was literally working in a prison today and can back that up... unless it's changed in the last hour.

Your wrong I’m wrong and welfare’s operational guidelines section is very wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Odhinn wrote: »
    illegally. You can't claim when you're inside. You might care to look it up, rather than repeat this crap. "A garda told me" means SFA.
    Help!!!! wrote: »
    Oh yes sir, you are of course the most intelligent of us all on your self made pedestal.
    Just because something is meant to be illegal doesn't mean theres not ways around it. What about a married man?
    Mod note: Right lads, cut it out now or stop posting on the thread. If you have personal differences, find some other way of resolving them, please, or I will have to impose bans!

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice.

I have been very hurt and very very angry in my time and I have longed for revenge but never in my dreams would I ever have contemplated putting acid or bleach in a bottle to throw at someone.
    It’s a revolting thing to do.

How can you claim Job Seekers when you're not free to seek a job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Mod note: Right lads, cut it out now or stop posting on the thread. If you have personal differences, find some other way of resolving them, please, or I will have to impose bans!

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice.

No probs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

JDD wrote: »
    It does seem that she knew her attacker. The Independent article says that the Gardaon't believe the attack was random and are following a "definite line of inquiry".

I live in the area, and a friend texted me to say she works in <snip> and was on her way home. There's only two Chinese girls who work in <snip> and they are both lovely, quiet individuals. I'd stake me house that they're not involved in any gangland crime. Booterstown's not really a hotbed of that sort of activity.
    Does she definitely work in <snip> or is that just speculation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

The thinly disguised glee that some posters greet incidents like this is disturbing. Anything that confirms their prejudices is lit on, and in this case nobody even knows the whole story yet.

Well make no mistake, it goes both ways. Do you think there'll be thinly disguised glee if it turns out to be an irish person?

You might as well accuse us all of being humans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

How can you claim Job Seekers when you're not free to seek a job?

There's jobs in the kitchen, the library, polishing the wardens shoes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Tenigate wrote: »
    Had it been a white on white acid attack, it would be a landmark moment for western culture. Asian on asian though, that's just a sign of what liberals like to call multiculturalism. Hopefully one that can be reversed.

A white man poured acid on lots of white people at a club in london a while ago

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    There's jobs in the kitchen, the library, polishing the wardens shoes :D

That's a funny way to spell knobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Ireland continues to be culturally enriched.

Violence against women, or even defenceless people is a cultural this now?

wakka12 wrote: »
    A white man poured acid on lots of white people at a club in london a while ago

The boyfriend of a soap star. I don’t know where people got the notion it was confined to one particular culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Hard to distinguish Boards from The Journal comments section these days. Some pretty revolting stuff on here, given what occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Chrongen wrote: »
    Violence against women, or even defenceless people is a cultural this now?

Rape is handed down as punishment by religious courts in other cultures and women are stoned to death for adultery. Yes it is cultural.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rape is handed down as punishment by religious courts in other cultures and women are stoned to death for adultery. Yes it is cultural.

Asia is a very big place.

I saw a comment somewhere that acid attacks should carry an immediate 20 year sentence. I'd agree with this, it might put a halt on these acid attacks before they become as common as they are in England.

Absolutely one of the worst crimes you can commit behind murder and rape.

I don't think I can come up with any reason to disagree.

Carrying a weapon and employing/deploying it in either quasi-self defence or fury is one thing but plotting to conduct such an attack requires a warped and disturbing level of malice aforethought.

I always use my brain to disconnect my emotions from a crime and the punishment. But this is not a crime in the sense of beating or even killing somebody. This is actual torture and that is the most vile of all manifestations of violence and cruelty.

The goal is to inflict lifelong agony, and it takes a special kind of sadism to even think of such an abomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Odhinn wrote: »
    illegally. You can't claim when you're inside. You might care to look it up, rather than repeat this crap. "A garda told me" means SFA.
    Oh yes sir, you are of course the most intelligent of us all on your self made pedestal.
    Just because something is meant to be illegal doesn't mean theres not ways around it. What about a married man?

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice.

Can we go out the back for a straightener?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

The weird thing is, this is precisely the kind of stomach churning violence that genuinely qualifies as a hate crime.

Maybe the world should focus on ensuring that the people carrying out these attacks are prosecuted with zero tolerance and mandatory sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Can we go out the back for a straightener?

That was my line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The weird thing is, this is precisely the kind of stomach churning violence that genuinely qualifies as a hate crime.

Maybe the world should focus on ensuring that the people carrying out these attacks are prosecuted with zero tolerance and mandatory sentences.

I'd be hoping they set down an example of this lad (or wan) to stop these becoming regular in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Always felt a particular disgust towards acid attacks. The initial pain and the irreversible effects must be torturous.

Well, no... since, as others have pointed out, the details we have on this incident are rather sparse. We only know the nationality and gender of the victim. That's it. Everything else is guessing.

How did me saying that liberals stopped the police from doing stop & search in London due to perceived racism result in you spewing out that sh11te where did I say anything about vigilantism or mob rule??

What have liberals got to do with this or ANYTHING?

You brought it up. You also promoted violent, extra-judicial retribution.

Where did you mention violent vigilantism? Read back. If a scumbag is carrying a bottle of acid for some sickening reasons then you recommended he be forced to drink it.

I'd prefer the guy be jailed and post-haste. But then Are you going to accost a pharmacist bringing Hydrochloric acide from one lab to another? Are you going to ram it down his or her throat? You don't really think before you set fire to witches, do you?

What has being stopped and searched got to do with ANY of this?

Like I said, you brought it up, not me. Do you want everybody searched on a random basis, yourself included? And your granny? Or is it just brown folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh they are particularly nasty crimes. Turn somebodys life upside down in matter of seconds, a lifetime of pain and torture and reclusion from society
    Its not far from murder and in many ways worse than murder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Noveight wrote: »
    Always felt a particular disgust towards acid attacks. The initial pain and the irreversible effects must be torturous.

Imagine the kind of twisted individual you'd have to be to commit to such a thing.
    It takes planning and malice of a different kind. Disfiguring someone for the rest of their lives, leaving them with a constant reminder of what happened to them. It's just beyond sick. I just can never wrap my head around hating someone enough to want to do that to them.

The minds behind these crimes need to be kept away from civil society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What has that got to do with the thread?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

pitifulgod wrote: »
    My thoughts are with the woman and hope she recovers.

It's always the exact same posters too.

I'm just surprised some people haven't tried to claim the poor woman has some share of the blame for some reason :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The perpetrator is most likely an ex or a guy who couldn't cope with being rejected by her. Let him have his balls sprayed with acid would be a fitting punishment, maybe then he might have an insight into his victims world. You'd have to be a psychopath or brainwashed into believing your victim is non- human to do this. Obviously the balls things i don't really believe in, but to deter these brats and others, the sentence should be life, considering you have given your victim a life sentence of trauma.

The poor poor woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Pelvis wrote: »
    The problem with these foreigners is, they don't know what love is.

They want you to show them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I'd be hoping they set down an example of this lad (or wan) to stop these becoming regular in ireland

If Ireland had a Death Penalty this would qualify for it. This is just pure evil. This person should not be able to walk free in society ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The perpetrator is most likely an ex or a guy who couldn't cope with being rejected by her.

Yeah, absolutely, in fact there's a trial going on in the UK at the moment of a woman who threw acid on her boyfriend after being unable to cope with him deciding to see someone else. It's a strange case for many reasons but mainly because the guy's life was so badly effected that he ended up successfully applying for euthanasia (in Belgium) and then as a result the woman was charged with some degree of murder. The trial fell apart but there's a retrial next year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/08/scorned-woman-tried-murder-acid-attack-led-ex-boyfriend-ending/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5128633/Judge-dramatically-HALTS-acid-attack-murder-trial.html

Just imagine. You're never going to get your face back after an attack like this. Medical science has come leaps and bounds with areas like face reconstruction, but it'll never be your face, at least the way your face was, after that.

It takes a whole other level of hate and anger and sheer bile to do something like that to another person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Yeah, absolutely, in fact there's a trial going on in the UK at the moment of a woman who threw acid on her boyfriend after being unable to cope with him deciding to see someone else. It's a strange case for many reasons but mainly because the guy's life was so badly effected that he ended up successfully applying for euthanasia (in Belgium) and then as a result the woman was charged with some degree of murder. The trial fell apart but there's a retrial next year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/08/scorned-woman-tried-murder-acid-attack-led-ex-boyfriend-ending/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5128633/Judge-dramatically-HALTS-acid-attack-murder-trial.html

that is absolutely horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

backspin. wrote:
    I think acid attacks should be considered the 2nd most serious crime on the books after murder. It should carry a life sentence.

It should absolutely carry a life sentence, multiple life sentences. Given the horrific pain and life long injuries and complications, I think it should be considered along the same lines as murder. I think I'd rather die...

The perpetrator is most likely an ex or a guy who couldn't cope with being rejected by her. Let him have his balls sprayed with acid would be a fitting punishment, maybe then he might have an insight into his victims world. You'd have to be a psychopath or brainwashed into believing your victim is non- human to do this. Obviously the balls things i don't really believe in, but to deter these brats and others, the sentence should be life, considering you have given your victim a life sentence of trauma.

if it was an ex or someone who was known to her would they not already have a persons of interest they are looking for, especially with the description of a heavy set man. they’re appealing for anything they can get in terms of info, sounds like they haven’t a clue who it was at the moment...which is concerning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

sightband wrote:
    if it was an ex or someone who was known to her would they not already have a persons of interest they are looking for, especially with the description of a heavy set man. they’re appealing for anything they can get in terms of info, sounds like they haven’t a clue who it was at the moment...which is concerning.

The article does say they're following a certain line of enquiry.

It seems to be primarily a young persons “revenge” type thing.
    For a lot of people currently in their mid twenties a lovers rejection will be their first proper disappointment because these kids are just not used to the word “no”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Maybe not all of Sharia Law is a bad thing in cases such as this....
    Iran's supreme court has ruled that a woman must be blinded in one eye as punishment for an acid attack that left her victim sightless, using the principle of "eye for an eye" of Sharia, the Islamic law, Tasnim news agency, which is close to the elite Revolutionary Guards, reported on Thursday. Under Sharia, imposed since the 1979 Islamic revolution, qesas (retribution) is permitted in cases where bodily injuries are inflicted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/03/iran-blind-acid-attack-woman-retribution-punishment/

Pack of ****ing savages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

splinter65 wrote: »
    Pack of ****ing savages.

How is it any different then people on this thread and others calling for criminals to get the everloving **** kicked out of them?

How is it any different then people on this thread and others calling for criminals to get the everloving **** kicked out of them?

because it is only an emotive driven response and not official law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

sightband wrote: »
    because it is only an emotive driven response and not official law

Don’t have to go back to far in Irish history for this sort of thing to be happening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Blinding someone intentionally is perversely savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

What has that got to do with the thread?

Someone sees an article about a Chinese woman being attacked by acid and goes off on a rant about Islam. You could say they were triggered.

There's been a rise in acid attacks in London. And it's not related to islam.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/07/surge-in-acid-attacks-in-england-leads-to-calls-to-restrict-sales
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40559973

A lot are related to gang crime. Kids who would be arrested for carrying a knife are now carrying acid.
    Some are hate crimes against muslims.
    Men are actually more likely to be attacked than women (Because men are in gangs)
    And when a woman is attacked the perpetrator is normally a man and normally a jealous ex. A famous case was Katie Piper

smurgen wrote: »
    Blinding someone intentionally is perversely savage.

Doctors who presumably took the Hippocrates oath, possibly trained outside Iran preparing to blind someone with acid tells you all you need to know about medieval Iran .
    Place needs to be nuked.

Sometimes it hits you just how far ahead of the rest of the world the west is.

This very attack today happened in the West.

• Advertisement
Advertisement