Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clematis to cover a wall

Options
  • 04-12-2017 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I want to plant some clematis to cover a wall behind a flower bed. The wall is c. 5.5 ' high and maybe 20' long. Because there are a lot of perennials in the bed, I think its best to plant the clematis that you cut right back in spring and then i wont have to climb through the perennials to prune it during the growing season.

I've bought galvanised vine eyes, wire and tensioners and plan on putting 5/6 horizontal wires across the wall. I'm wondering how many clematis I would want to cover this size of wall (obviously different varieties have different growth rates so there may be no answer to this one). Also, for this type of clematis, i know if flowers in late summer but does it have a reasonable foliage cover from early summer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Look for the spread when you're buying them. I have an early flowering one (pixie)that is still a dwarf after 4 years, it will always be a dwarf as it only spreads .5m

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-plant-clematis/

Monty's always good for planting tips.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

There a good site here that allows you select by colour and aspect, I have a Dark Eyes on a wall that gets no light which always puts up a good show. I've also had to remove a few more vigorous species that got too big, so as above, keep an eye on spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Another one to give some thought to is Clematis armandii. Evergreen flowering in February, needs full sun. Not a plant I'd associate with pruning other than pointing it in the right direction and tidying up.

A classic that might suit that I'd prefer to give just a tiny bit more height to but does take to cutting back hard every year is Vyvyan Pennell.

Advertisement