Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are the Irish gone lazy to work?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

k

What i make of it is a race to the bottom.

Its not a race to the bottom to take a bit of pride in your work without having to be compensated for every extra minute should they choose to do so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Tzardine wrote: »
    I work for a semi state. Our cleaning staff, all Irish, who earn 850 a week (I assure you they do, i have seen the payslips) will not pick up cardboard from outside the front door.

Occasionally we need to use contract cleaners. They are usually foreign and earn about €10 an hour. They embarrass our own cleaners with their standard of work.

Make of that what you will.

850 a week??WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Geuze wrote: »
    People aged less than 60 living in households with very low work intensity, 2014–15 (%)

People_aged_less_than_60_living_in_households_with_very_low_work_intensity%2C_2014%E2%80%9315_%28%25%29.png

You’re going to need newer figures since it’s 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

368100 wrote: »
    Its not a race to the bottom to take a bit of pride in your work without having to be compensated for every extra minute should they choose to do so

It’s eulogisung the 10€ a month that’s the race to the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Smarty-pants recruitment policies are coming home to roost. I was chatting with a friend who works in recruitment who agreed. A 12 mth contract (with little or no expectation of renewal) on a solid wage vs ANYTHING permanent is kind of a no brainer. I had an uncle who got a job as a temp operator in pharma and was on €23/hr with all the allowances applied and he thought it was just a tease because he knew he'd never be kept on.

The Irish aren't lazy - if you look at the Irish abroad, they are doing lots of the work the locals won't but when you're in your home country and your'e trying to build a life and thinking about your future, of course you look at the world differently and will be prepared to do things differently. There are lots of industries full of expats trying to better themselves but that doesn't mean they will stay in poor jobs for good. They will go home (so the less prestigious work is acceptable) or try and get on in their chosen new home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the only thing worse than going to work in the morning is not going to work in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

the only thing worse than going to work in the morning is not going to work in the morning

I dunno, I think leprosy is probably worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I dunno, I think leprosy is probably worse.

The only thing worse than leprosy is leprosy on the dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

bigpink wrote: »
    Speaking with someone in a management role saying they can't get staff and a huge increase in foreign workers I've noticed.What ye all think?

I think you've answered your own question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

bigpink wrote: »
    850 a week??WTF

That's more than I get!!

F**ks sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

It’s eulogisung the 10€ a month that’s the race to the bottom.

I hardly think anyone is going to eulogise that, but a lot of people would be content to do an honest days work on that wage and they shouldn't be looked down on because of that.

Advertisement