Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return products and then re buy them in sale?

Options
  • 04-12-2017 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I recently spent just over 300 euro on clothes for my daughter from a European shop. It was just a few days ago and I haven't received the order yet (tracking shows an post have just got it so I should get it tomorrow or Wednesday).

When I was checking out, I signed up for their newsletter. I just got an email from the shop today saying all of their stock will be on sale from 10am tomorrow, with between 30% and 70% off everything. I checked the website and everything I bought is still available.

Apart from the cost of return postage, is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't just buy all of the stuff again for way cheaper and then return the original order? They say you can return for no reason within 14 days. It would obviously be a massive saving on such a big order but then it seems like there must be a catch to the idea or else what would stop everyone from doing that kind of thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gal2glam

They will only give you back the current price of the clothes since they’re on sale now.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Really? I knew there must be a catch! Are they allowed to do that? What if someone didn't know about the new sale price and wanted to return something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Really? I knew there must be a catch! Are they allowed to do that? What if someone didn't know about the new sale price and wanted to return something?

No under distance selling you can return the order for a full refund. Indeed you could refuse delivery to have them sent back and save the cost of return postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

F34 wrote: »
    No under distance selling you can return the order for a full refund. Indeed you could refuse delivery to have them sent back and save the cost of return postage.

This plus one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Gal2glam wrote: »
    They will only give you back the current price of the clothes since they’re on sale now.

No way they can do that,the op would have to get the purchase price back.

• Advertisement

F34 wrote: »

I didn't know you could do that. Would it be risky to do it before they despatch the new order, though?

I don't know if I could be cheeky enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭irelandrover

They can charge you for the return postage tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I didn't know you could do that. Would it be risky to do it before they despatch the new order, though?

Ring or email their customer care and tell them you’ve changed your mind about the items and if it’s ok to decline delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You could just not be home! Yes they will charge you return postage.

Have you considered contacting the company and asking them to refund you the difference though?

Have you considered contacting the company and asking them to refund you the difference though?

No, it didn't occur to me that they would be ok with that. Do you think a shop would entertain a request like that?

Actually, I had sort of budgeted about 300 so if I had known about the sale I would have spent the same amount and just got more items. Maybe I could mention that to them since I'd be just as happy with store credit as I would with a partial refund?

• Advertisement

No, it didn't occur to me that they would be ok with that. Do you think a shop would entertain a request like that?

Actually, I had sort of budgeted about 300 so if I had known about the sale I would have spent the same amount and just got more items. Maybe I could mention that to them since I'd be just as happy with store credit as I would with a partial refund?

They may well do as its more hassle for them if you send the whole lot back and re buy.

Yeah that's a really good idea, I've always found approaching companies in a nice way goes a lot further than demanding or "I know my rights" type messages. Offering to spend more will probably go further too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Some bricks and mortar stores will refund the difference is it's reduced shortly after you bought it - there was a thread about it just last week.

The difference with online sales it they're legally obliged to accept a return of an online sale and there's nothing in law preventing you from rebuying the same items at a later date. If they're very observant and particularly petty I suppose they could to decline to sell them to you again but it seems rather unlikely.

Personally I'd contact them and ask for the difference back, then failing that return them and rebuy (providing the cost of return postage makes it worthwhile).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Agreed that you should contact them and ask for a credit note for the differnce. If they're not agreeable, you'll be able to return the goods and re-purchase them, it's a bit more inconvenient for the both of you but you're perfectly entitled to do so and depending how you get on with them when talking to the shop, I'd go as far as explaining your intentions in a friendly way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is a case of distance selling returns. He will get the full price back.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

I had someone in a toy store trying to pull that line with me.

I swear if I can remember correctly too he had a white shirt on so must have been a manager or a supervisor.

I told him I had a reciept to show I had paid full price, so that is what I am due to be refunded.

He still tried to argue with me that l me I wasn't right, until I told him I was a manger myself so I know the law.

I turned my face away from him until he sorted his sh!t out, to which he did, and I got my full refund as I should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,022 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had someone in a toy store trying to pull that line with me.

I swear if I can remember correctly too he had a white shirt on so must have been a manager or a supervisor.

I told him I had a reciept to show I had paid full price, so that is what I am due to be refunded.

He still tried to argue with me that l me I wasn't right, until I told him I was a manger myself so I know the law.

I turned my face away from him until he sorted his sh!t out, to which he did, and I got my full refund as I should have.

Refund for what?

There is no law that allows for returns for change of mind for in-store retail and stores are allowed have any policy they want (including none).

L1011 wrote: »
    Refund for what?

There is no law that allows for returns for change of mind for in-store retail and stores are allowed have any policy they want (including none).[/QUOTE

of course you can return items for a change of mind.

I have done it plenty of times with no questions asked

Refund for what?

There is no law that allows for returns for change of mind for in-store retail and stores are allowed have any policy they want (including none).[/QUOTE

Only if the shop wants to let you

There is absolutely no law to require it.

It is entirely acceptable to have a policy to only refund current selling price, or charge a restock fee, or simply not allow change of mind at all.

I would advise not claiming to know the law when no law exists as a retailer will eventually call you on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If the store lets you. You have no rights under law though. The shop to tell you to get ****ed.

It's not a law as was said in the post so you can only do it on the goodwill of the company.

Return for any reason only applies to online.

• Advertisement

ok so just looking online now about returns..

I knew it's at each shops own discretion whether they give a refund at all.

however I was talking about getting a refund(in a shop that does give refunds) for buying something at full price, but then the item being reduced and whether you are due the full price you paid, or the now sale price.

it seems that actually the shop CAN decide whether to give the full refund or only the sale price:eek:
    I don't think I can link because i'm fairly new on boards.

I didn't know that.

so I bullied someone into giving me a refund when they didn't actually have to:confused:

so I bullied someone into giving me a refund when they didn't actually have to:confused:

Yes. As long as you don't do it again we won't send out the witch hunt :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Yes. And you probably ruined their already ****ty day doing it. I'd be sending them an apology if I were you.

Yes. As long as you don't do it again we won't send out the witch hunt :p

pheeeew

well it was years ago now and I havn't been in a situation like that since so i won't go to hard on myself.;)

I must have been in an extra foul mood that day because I got my full refund.

the poor staff.

lesson learned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Yeah,

Just as well your a manager and know the law too :P

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I'd be sending them an apology if I were you.

I would but it was years ago and neither of us would remember each other.

I'm sure he got over it though seen as i was just a crazy woman and he was right about the return price

Yawns wrote: »
    Yeah,

Just as well your a manager and know the law too :P

weeeeell, that may have been a teeny spoof to the staff

i'll be sure not to use that line again;)

Advertisement