Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Cross Country

• 04-12-2017 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

Coming up this weekend. Obviously Fionnualla once again our big hope; I dont know how she is going, but I doubt she would run if she wasnt ready. Womens team looks a bit weaker than it has been in recent years, maybe I'm wrong. Interesting to see how Pollock gets on in mens.

Yasemin Can is again running for Turkey, but Sifan Hassan not running for NL.

Anyone know will RTE show it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RTE2, 10am to noon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Turkey’s men’s team is laughable. These championships have become a farce of an event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Turkey’s men’s team is laughable. These championships have become a farce of an event.

All purchased Africans I take it?

OOnegative wrote: »
    All purchased Africans I take it?

https://twitter.com/cathal_dennehy/status/935466234426068993

Save ourselves the grind of the annual post championship discussion by having it now I reckon!

Save ourselves the grind of the annual post championship discussion by having it now I reckon!

Good god!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Yup, a total mess. Will watch Fionnuala but then the TV will be getting turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

One of those kenyans is a former Russian as well:pac:

It's hard not to laugh to be fair as it really is nothing short of a joke right now. At least the IAAF have reacted (years too late) with the transfer embargo which might save the event in the long-term. What I don't understand is what satisfaction the Turkish get out of seeing this, aren't these championships supposed to be about pride in your country.

Pollock seems confident of a top-10 anyway, he was battling with the top 2 brits on the road 2 months not long after returning from injury and says he's in the best shape he's ever been for Euro XC. The mens team looks decent enough and young with the likes of Dooney, Armstrong and Tobin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Its is xmas, so turkeys are in hiding!!!

El Caballo wrote: »
    One of those kenyans is a former Russian as well:pac:

It's hard not to laugh to be fair as it really is nothing short of a joke right now. At least the IAAF have reacted (years too late) with the transfer embargo which might save the event in the long-term. What I don't understand is what satisfaction the Turkish get out of seeing this, aren't these championships supposed to be about pride in your country.

Pollock seems confident of a top-10 anyway, he was battling with the top 2 brits on the road 2 months not long after returning from injury and says he's in the best shape he's ever been for Euro XC. The mens team looks decent enough and young with the likes of Dooney, Armstrong and Tobin.

Pollock talks the talk every year about a top 10, top 5 finish. So far he has failed to live up to his own hype. Don't get me wrong I would love to see him do well but it's time he stepped up and did it.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Pollock talks the talk every year about a top 10, top 5 finish. So far he has failed to live up to his own hype. Don't get me wrong I would love to see him do well but it's time he stepped up and did it.

+1. If medals were given out for talking a great game, he’d be Ireland’s most decorated athlete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Turducken is served up at Thanksgiving in the USA. (A chicken stuffed in a duck stuffed in a turkey)

At the European XC we'll serve up TurEthKen. (Ethiopians and Kenyans stuffed in a Turkish vest) :D

Hey, a big shout out to Fionnuala, who's running in the champs for the 15th time! :eek:

Sophie Murphy tenth in the U20 race. A Kenyan is winning the women's race, Fionnuala seems to be struggling back in about 10th place.

Fionnuala 12th. Only three to score on the team this year so the ladies were nowhere.

True to form!!

Andy Buchart finishes 3rd in the men's race (first European as well), a good run, he really went for it.

Tobin, Armstrong & Maunsell the 3 Irish scorers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Ireland packed well to get 5th place, only 3 pts behind France. That must be best team performance in a while. Commendable 15th Place for Tobin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

OOnegative wrote: »
    Tobin, Armstrong & Maunsell the 3 Irish scorers.

Great running by the lads, esp. by Tobin.

Another win by a not very Turkish team. Same old story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

To be fair not really Dewi Griffith took it on early and was unlucky looks like hamstring went,

Ozbilen did well to come back from the fall looked in pain from that onwards.

Great to see two top 20 finishes for Tobin and Armstrong great to see especially given they are two of the younger members of the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Andy Buchart finishes 3rd in the men's race (first European as well), a good run, he really went for it.

First European born, anyways.
    Mechaal grew up in Spain since he was 2 years old. As for Ozbilen.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

wgtomblin wrote: »
    First European born, anyways.
    Mechaal grew up in Spain since he was 2 years old. As for Ozbilen.... :rolleyes:

True, I was being a little mean, apologies. Still a disgrace to see two bought in Kenyans winning the men's and women's senior races at the Euro XC. Good running by the Irish lads, they can be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sums it up. Turkish lads didn't know what way was up with their countries flag.

https://twitter.com/amyohconnor/status/939819725021904896

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Especially by Maunsell, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Caprica

That’s was a really entertaining Men’s race. The Brits took it our hard and the Turks seemed to be struggling but they worked there way through the field. An impressive win by Ozbilen. The Brits seemed to fade away as the race progressed, disappointing for Griffiths he looked very strong.

Great run by the Top 3 Irish lads. They packed very well, 5th place is a great team result. Great to see an athlete from the west on the team. I’m disappointed with Pollock, he was a long way of where he was talking.

Can took the Ladies race at her leisure. I thought Fionnuala was running a smart race holding back in the early stages but she never got in to the race. Ingebrigtsen looked very comfortable in the Junior men, still only 17, hopefully he doesn’t burn out he does a hell of a lot of racing.

Disappointing that we haven’t entered a team in the relay, we could have got a good placement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

YFlyer wrote: »

Yea, superb run from him at this stage in his running career.

Tipp boys leading the way :)

Great to see the men's team up there an competitive with a few relatively new faces leading the way in Tobin and Armstrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ozbilen did well to come back from the fall looked in pain from that onwards.
    Don't think it was actually him that fell. The commentator initially said it was him, but corrected themselves at the replay, think it was Kaya

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Caprica wrote: »
    That’s was a really entertaining Men’s race. The Brits took it our hard and the Turks seemed to be struggling but they worked there way through the field. An impressive win by Ozbilen. The Brits seemed to fade away as the race progressed, disappointing for Griffiths he looked very strong.

Great run by the Top 3 Irish lads. They packed very well, 5th place is a great team result. Great to see an athlete from the west on the team. I’m disappointed with Pollock, he was a long way of where he was talking.

Can took the Ladies race at her leisure. I thought Fionnuala was running a smart race holding back in the early stages but she never got in to the race. Ingebrigtsen looked very comfortable in the Junior men, still only 17, hopefully he doesn’t burn out he does a hell of a lot of racing.

Disappointing that we haven’t entered a team in the relay, we could have got a good placement.
    I respect and admire all athletes at that level but at this stage Pollock should stop talking himself up so much. If he comes in under the radar one time and surprises everyone that will be great but he seems to think putting pressure and expectation on himself is the solution. It hasnt proven to be so far and his solid performances are being overshadowed by his extravagant predictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Ceepo

YFlyer wrote: »

Irish performance of the day for me.
    1st time running in an Irish vest and at 36yrs he must have been one of the oldest in the field.
    5 years ago he was fighting it out for a top 3 Tipp Co intermediate xc title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Sure how would they know, they have probably never set foot in Turkey !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That wasn't a proper cross country course. Nothing testing in it. It's like the field we run on in the summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can was holding it same way, I was looking at it thinking ''that does not look right...."

Missed the mens race, got a bit bored by the womens to be honest. Great coverage and great quality stream from European Athletics though.

Great result for the Irish men.

Advertisement