Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re - Existing tenant and rent price

Options
  • 04-12-2017 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an existing tenant in my house the last 5 years almost now, she’s been great in fairness never bothered me for much and paid rent on time, she’s been receiving part rent allowance as she has a child and also works part time.

However things are tight on my end and the house is costing me too much every year (mostly on tax as everything is above board).

Tenant currently pays not much over €1000 for a large 3 bed 2bath house in a rpz.
    I know I could get a lot more than this as houses in the area are going for €1700-2000, this is the market value.
    Being able to put up the rent would greatly ease the pressure off on my end financially and take the stress away.

It’s either get the market value very soon or I’m going to have to sell up and then nobody wins and she’ll still be out...

She’s looking to go on to the hap scheme now and has been into them, she’s told them I’ve been looking to up the rent to market value as I’ve discussed this with her briefly telling her of my situation re the house, and they’ve obviously told her that I can’t do that.
    I know I can’t just put up the rent or I can only put it up by 4% so I was a bit annoyed she told them this, the reason we came to chat about it was she was telling me her new partner might be moving in to the house, so I thought it would be a good time to renegotiate rent etc, but nothing was decided.

so is it advisable to give her her 3 months notice and get new tenants before she goes on the hap.. can I then ask for the market value from new tenants straight away ?

Or do I need to renovate the house under the new law to get the market value regardless if it’s a new or existing tenant.. is this the only way to go ?

Rent has not been increased in years...

Any advise welcomed please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

so is it advisable to give her her 3 months notice and get new tenants before she goes on the hap.. can I then ask for the market value from new tenants straight away ?

What reason are you going to give to terminate her tenancy? Plus even with new tenants you can only increase by the 4% unless you do a refurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

There's no way around this cause of the government sticking their nose in. My advise would be to sell up , take your money and wash your hands of being a landlord in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭charleville

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What reason are you going to give to terminate her tenancy? Plus even with new tenants you can only increase by the 4% unless you do a refurb.

So... do a refurb is the only option then ?

What is classed as a refurb in the eyes of the people who write these laws in

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Refurb is the only legitimate way you can increase beyond 4%.

On the other hand there were mutterings in the past that there'd be changes to the RPZ rules to help landlords like yourself who'd kept rents very low for familiar tenants, but you could be waiting a long time for those to change.

New carpets ,painting. Remodel kitchen bathroom. Pretty much stuff that it's only really possible to do unoccupied.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Have a read over this thread, especially the linked documents.

It may help clarify items that individually would not qualify. e.g. new kitchen, new carpets, painting.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057812263

You could move in a family member for a period of time. I suggest however you follow the rules exactly and don't try to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

When did you last increase the rent?

When did you last increase the rent?

You could move in a family member for a period of time. I suggest however you follow the rules exactly and don't try to pull a fast one.

That's not going change the RPZ rent increase limits.

• Advertisement

I don’t plan on pulling a fast one, but I need to somehow legally increase the rent so it’s sufficient enough to cover myself

I don’t plan on pulling a fast one, but I need to somehow legally increase the rent so it’s sufficient enough to cover myself

Refurb or you need it for your own use or sell. Those are your options. The legal rent increase is 4% 40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Is 1700 really a fair rent for a 3 bed house. Yeah the rental market is broken at the moment, but you're talking about shafting a good hard working tenant. You say you're not making any money on the deal, but you're getting the mortgage on that house paid and gaining equity on your asset. You're getting 12k a year in rent. The house is probably also increasing in value by at least that much.

Landlords complain that Ireland is a hard place to be a landlord. Try being a Tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Check the rules for HAP, there are minimum requirements (which are not enforced) but could you do upgrades to the house to meet them and then go to market value. Bottom line you can't easily increase the rent. Your grounds for asking her to move aren't valid. Sounds like you want to be fair to her.

Check the rules carefully as to what is counted as a refurb, price a kitchen in IKEA, re carpet up stairs, budget for painting, can the walls be pumped? After you write the costs off against tax how long will it take to recoup the costs? None of that will require her to move out. Can you put up the rent, will HAP and new partner help her cover it? Is it worth it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Has she been living there for five years or seven years?

You can increase the rent by more than 4% since its been some time. There's a calculator on the RTB site which will help.

Has she been living there for five years or seven years?

You can increase the rent by more than 4% since its been some time. There's a calculator on the RTB site which will help.

The rent has been that price since 2010, she has been living there for almost 5 years now also at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A paint job & cheap carpets won't do it. You need to be thinking new kitchen & /or news bathroom.

Buying furniture, carpets, was machine, painting is considered normal maintenance. To put the rent up you need to go beyond normal maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Akrasia wrote: »
    Is 1700 really a fair rent for a 3 bed house. Yeah the rental market is broken at the moment, but you're talking about shafting a good hard working tenant.

he is talking about maximising an asset when he is struggling financially,

even at current rents, if you are a paye worker and renting a place out above board, if you have a mortgage it probably doesnt wash its face.

• Advertisement

Check the rules for HAP, there are minimum requirements (which are not enforced) but could you do upgrades to the house to meet them and then go to market value. Bottom line you can't easily increase the rent. Your grounds for asking her to move aren't valid. Sounds like you want to be fair to her.

Check the rules carefully as to what is counted as a refurb, price a kitchen in IKEA, re carpet up stairs, budget for painting, can the walls be pumped? After you write the costs off against tax how long will it take to recoup the costs? None of that will require her to move out. Can you put up the rent, will HAP and new partner help her cover it? Is it worth it to you?

Afaik bringing a house up to minimum requirements does not count... I will check it out but it’s a bit vague as to what is included or not,

how do I need to prove the works has been done for example ??

I am a tradesman and have my own small business so is it just receipts they need to see for works been done or so they come out and inspect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Is 1700 really a fair rent for a 3 bed house. Yeah the rental market is broken at the moment, but you're talking about shafting a good hard working tenant. You say you're not making any money on the deal, but you're getting the mortgage on that house paid and gaining equity on your asset. You're getting 12k a year in rent. The house is probably also increasing in value by at least that much.

Landlords complain that Ireland is a hard place to be a landlord. Try being a Tenant.

He is charging 1k rent per month which is absolutely nothing. I was renting a house for 1k a month in 2010 in Galway!!
    He is doing everything above board so is probably being shafted by the tax man. If hes a higher rate tax payer he will be getting 6k per year in rent after tax and probably paying for things to be fixed etc.

The system is broken and they need to allow for rent increases greater than 4% when the tenant is obviously paying far too little. The current law is basically forcing the landlord to kick his good tenant to the curb in order to make being a landlord viable.

OP, a potential resolution is to move into this house yourself and put your current home up for rent. Potentially keeping your existing tenant if they are willing to pay a higher price

Cyrus wrote: »
    he is talking about maximising an asset when he is struggling financially,

even at current rents, if you are a paye worker and renting a place out above board, if you have a mortgage it probably doesnt wash its face.

It really doesn’t... landlords have a bad reputation in ireland, but the reality is that most single home landlords are struggling, and I imagine we make up a large number combined

A LL invests to maximise their return on investment not half cover the cost of a mortgage etc.

It's scandalous how LLs are being forced to stay on well below market rents, often resulting in them struggling to make ends meet where they should be reaping the rewards for their hard work and investment risk.

The combination of crazily high levels of taxation and unconstitutional rent controls are a total farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Given that it’s been 7 years since you last increased rent, then you’ll be entitled to more than 4%. Check the RTB calculator but I think you’ll be entitled to ~14%. I know it’s not market rate, but at least it’s more than 4%.

As others have pointed out, the only way you can raise rents to market rates is to substantially refurbish, and guidance on that is wishy-washy at best. To do that you’ll have to get the tenant out smoothly, invest in the refurb and then relist, which has the potential risk of replacing a good current tenant with an poor one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I am afraid that you left it too late to increase rent by enough to cover your costs going forward.

You best option would be to sell and take your money before too long and before you are completely cleaned out.

This is provided you are not in negative equity and on how much you can get for the house but trying to raise rent from 1000 to 1700 pm in one go will not be allowed. Even going at the max 4% pa allowed would take 15 years to get up to TODAYS market rent, not counting for market rises in the meantime...

dudara wrote: »
    Given that it’s been 7 years since you last increased rent, then you’ll be entitled to more than 4%. Check the RTB calculator but I think you’ll be entitled to ~14%. I know it’s not market rate, but at least it’s more than 4%

Hi,
    Your right, I checked there and it works out around 10% for me.
    It’s still not where I need to be though but it’s something.
    How often can the rent be put up by 4% ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think you can increase by 42% every year thereafter, but perhaps someone else can confirm?

Edit: corrected, thanks Fol20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

It’s 4pc there after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

You really have no idea what you're talking about !! You also don't know any landlord that owns one property cause if you did , you be aware that they are struggling with all the hoops they have to jump through. But you go on ahead and think that every landlord is living it like a lord !!
    Your ignorance is sickening

Advertisement