Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlons 2018

Options
  • 04-12-2017 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I did my first tri last year in Athy and want to do a couple of sprint lengths in 2018. I'd like to plan the family holidays around these so the area it's held in is important too.

So far I'm thinking of Mullaghmore in June and the Moby Dick in Youghal in September. What are your opinions on these races? Would you recommend others instead? I'm not interested in city based races.

I assume that the best thing to do would be to get the yearly race license? Hire or buy the wetsuit? Any other tips or advice for a novice who wants to do more this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

TrafficBug wrote: »
    I did my first tri last year in Athy and want to do a couple of sprint lengths in 2018. I'd like to plan the family holidays around these so the area it's held in is important too.

So far I'm thinking of Mullaghmore in June and the Moby Dick in Youghal in September. What are your opinions on these races? Would you recommend others instead? I'm not interested in city based races.

I assume that the best thing to do would be to get the yearly race license? Hire or buy the wetsuit? Any other tips or advice for a novice who wants to do more this year?

It's been a few years but loved mullaghmore sprint. Also did my first tri there think there was a shorter swim option maybe 300m.
    Lovely swim, nice fast bike and run around the head. Think there was a hills to test the legs. Well organised and nice feed after when o did it.
    IMO better value to get licence. Once you do more than 2 races it's covered. You may be also be tempted to do the odd duathlons early season etc.
    Obviously the most important thing is to make sure wetsuit fits but have a look around for 2nd hand ones you'd be surprised what you might pick up. Ideally try get one on a shop where you can ensure it fits etc. May be some of last season's stuff on sale etc

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TrafficBug

Thanks for the information Rodney. Much appreciated!

Advertisement