Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Crash/Traffic thread

Options
  • 04-12-2017 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Thought it'd be interesting to have a dedicated thread to discuss traffic/crashes in Cork.

The traffic this morning was awful on the N25, it was backed up beyond Carrigtwohill/Middleton. Seems there was a bad accident near Little island and a truck broken down in the tunnel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yeah. I went the back road through Glounthaune and half the road was dug up between the Elm Tree and the train station with a contraflow in place. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,911 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Passed that crash this morning, very serious, car looked very badly damaged.

Then again, not bad at all when compared to what happened in Wexford this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Passed that crash this morning, very serious, car looked very badly damaged.

Then again, not bad at all when compared to what happened in Wexford this evening.

Looked really bad. Hope they got out okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I read so much about serious crashes, and - apart from the obvious risk of injury or loss of life! - their impact on traffic flow. It makes me wonder if it would be possible/better to have lower speed limits during peak traffic hours?

You'd likely have fewer accidents, certainly fewer serious accidents which cause blockages and lane closures, less disruptions where one driver brakes and you have a cascade of hard-braking behind.. You probably can have greater density of vehicles on the roads too, at lower speeds (less clearance needed between cars at lower speeds).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just sticking up a few speed limit signs won't make people behave.
    People will speed when they think they'll get away with it.

When are there ever cops on the South Link, morning or evening, except in the aftermath of an accident?
    They will hang around the dual carriageway past the Silver Springs alright. Shooting fish in a barrel revenue collecting job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

who_me wrote: »
    I read so much about serious crashes, and - apart from the obvious risk of injury or loss of life! - their impact on traffic flow. It makes me wonder if it would be possible/better to have lower speed limits during peak traffic hours?

You'd likely have fewer accidents, certainly fewer serious accidents which cause blockages and lane closures, less disruptions where one driver brakes and you have a cascade of hard-braking behind.. You probably can have greater density of vehicles on the roads too, at lower speeds (less clearance needed between cars at lower speeds).

Lowering the speed limit won't do a thing. People drive like absolute bell-ends along the entire stretch from Ballincollig to the tunnel each day.

I drive both a motorbike and car to work, and the amount of mental drivers I see each day is staggering.

People going 80kmh in the overtaking lane, people hogging the overtaking lane, people speeding, cutting across lanes to get to their turn off because they were hogging the overtaking lane, people doing their hair/makeup.

Sonics2k wrote: »

People going 80kmh in the overtaking lane, people hogging the overtaking lane, people speeding, cutting across lanes to get to their turn off because they were hogging the overtaking lane, people doing their hair/makeup.

Going into the wrong lane on the roundabout approach (shorter queue) and then attempting to slip back into the correct lane on while negotiating the roundabout is another one.

Changing lanes inside the tunnel and general acting the maggot like aggressive tailgating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Just sticking up a few speed limit signs won't make people behave.
    People will speed when they think they'll get away with it.

When are there ever cops on the South Link, morning or evening, except in the aftermath of an accident?
    They will hang around the dual carriageway past the Silver Springs alright. Shooting fish in a barrel revenue collecting job.

You'd see them every now and again on the hard shoulder between the Kinsale Road Roundabout and the Douglas exit.

With the current road works going on there at the moment though, they are less likely to be there.

Not sure are they widening the road or not.

There was a biker killed there a year or 2 ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Going into the wrong lane on the roundabout approach (shorter queue) and then attempting to slip back into the correct lane on while negotiating the roundabout is another one.

The traffic has gotten worse in last 2 months where it seems there's a backlog now also in the Dublin lane by the tunnel. 2019 can't come soon enough for them to implement the new road system.

The traffic has gotten worse in last 2 months where it seems there's a backlog now also in the Dublin lane by the tunnel. 2019 can't come soon enough for them to implement the new road system.

It gets like this every year in the run up to December. There's a massive increase in people going shopping in Mahon Point, temp staff across Mahon.

It doesn't help that there was increase of 4,000 people using the tunnel on a daily basis than was predicted up until 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Another humdinger this morning, along the Rochestown Park Hotel (again). What looked like a fender bender grinds the entire west bound orbital artery of the city to a halt for an hour.

Gardai looked very annoyed having to actually come out and do something :rolleyes:

Another humdinger this morning, along the Rochestown Park Hotel (again). What looked like a fender bender grinds the entire west bound orbital artery of the city to a halt for an hour.

Gardai looked very annoyed having to actually come out and do something :rolleyes:

Gardai were probably far more annoyed that yet another gob****e wasn't paying attention when merging on to the bloody road.

It gets like this every year in the run up to December. There's a massive increase in people going shopping in Mahon Point, temp staff across Mahon.

It doesn't help that there was increase of 4,000 people using the tunnel on a daily basis than was predicted up until 2020.

Of course the dismal public transport stays as it is, or gets more unbearable to use.
    The bus arrival times of the live displays are works of fiction is what I hear from someone I know who has to use it daily. Cork is slowly being strangled by its own success.

In the city I see they're screwing around with the one way streets, of course we'll be told it's for our own good.

Gardai were probably far more annoyed that yet another gob****e wasn't paying attention when merging on to the bloody road.

do you know for a fact that it was a merging incident? As discussed on other threads around here, if there was more Garda presence on that road it might enforce better driving practices.
    The Gardai will know very little about this morning because no one was injured, they just spout civil remedy and they are gone again.

Of course the dismal public transport stays as it is, or gets more unbearable to use.
    The bus arrival times of the live displays are works of fiction is what I hear from someone I know who has to use it daily. Cork is slowly being strangled by its own success.

In the city I see they're screwing around with the one way streets, of course we'll be told it's for our own good.

Around the mercy hospital and grattan Street is all changed now and is almost all one way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

As discussed on other threads around here, if there was more Garda presence on that road it might enforce better driving practices.

Fair dues to the copper catching the fcukers shooting down the bus lane on Wilton Rd last week.
    Put manners on a few of them hopefully.

Fair dues to the copper catching the fcukers shooting down the bus lane on Wilton Rd last week.

+1

This same spot is also a nightmare for crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What time was this out of interest? This road maddens me, everybody uses the bus lane when they shouldn't, then nobody uses it when they can and possibly should.

TheChizler wrote: »
    What time was this out of interest? This road maddens me, everybody uses the bus lane when they shouldn't, then nobody uses it when they can and possibly should.

IIRC about 5.30pm wednesday last week, cop with no car/bike i could see)
    It sickens my sh1t too!

(Also annoys me, people in the outside lane indicating left when their lane kinks left before the lights).

IIRC about 5.30pm wednesday last week, cop with no car/bike i could see)
    It sickens my sh1t too!

(Also annoys me, people in the outside lane indicating left when their lane kinks left before the lights).
    Fair play to them!

Bugs me too, gives the impression that you're moving left and asking permission to join their lane when they are supposed to yield to you (but inevitably plough on).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Ah that is what it was, I had business to drive down Wilton Road a few mornings this week, during rush hour and I was wondering where all the idiots were gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

kub wrote:
    Ah that is what it was, I had business to drive down Wilton Road a few mornings this week, during rush hour and I was wondering where all the idiots were gone.

I cycle to work so use the bus lane from CUH to Dennehys cross. I hate when cars come up behind me, its the one place a cyclist can feel somewhat secure. I usually show right down and cycle in middle of road so they end up making less progress than if they'd stayed on the correct lane. For other cars it must be annoying seeing some fecker try to skip by so I'm not just doing it for me?

seefin wrote: »
    I usually show right down and cycle in middle of road so they end up making less progress than if they'd stayed on the correct lane. For other cars it must be annoying seeing some fecker try to skip by so I'm not just doing it for me?

and this is why car drivers hate cyclists...and why cyclists return the sentiments :D

and this is why car drivers hate cyclists...and why cyclists return the sentiments :D

Oddly enough, many cyclists are also car drivers, there's no shortage of fcukwittery to go around whether on 2 wheels or 4.

I cycle to work so use the bus lane from CUH to Dennehys cross. I hate when cars come up behind me, its the one place a cyclist can feel somewhat secure. I usually show right down and cycle in middle of road so they end up making less progress than if they'd stayed on the correct lane. For other cars it must be annoying seeing some fecker try to skip by so I'm not just doing it for me?
    As long as you're only doing it between 7:30-9:30 and 16:30-18:30 Monday to Friday...

Using the centre of the lane is fine but I'd be hesitant to intentionally slow down though, you'd be putting their already inflated urge to plough through you into overdrive.

TheChizler wrote: »
    As long as you're only doing it between 7:30-9:30 and 16:30-18:30 Monday to Friday...

Using the centre of the lane is fine but I'd be hesitant to intentionally slow down though, you'd be putting their already inflated urge to plough through you into overdrive.

Think this behaviour is tempting fate. Only takes one hot head.

Coming down the Wilton road earlier and the usual happens, traffic is queuing up and along comes farmer john in his Honda Jazz undertaking the whole bloody lot.

The new traffic light system going from Victoria Cross outside the old crows nest isn't ideal either.

Alot of people in the left lane who naturally enough want to turn left are stuck at a red light while the other light for straight on turns green.

The reverse has also occurred, before, those lights changed from green to red and red to green together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I usually show right down and cycle in middle of road so they end up making less progress than if they'd stayed on the correct lane. For other cars it must be annoying seeing some fecker try to skip by so I'm not just doing it for me?
    I think you are just doing it for you.
    Playing chicken with a ton or two of metal; bets of luck that you don't meet a maniac.
    I cycle, I know the rules, but still put my own safety ahead of try to police others.

Coming down the Wilton road earlier and the usual happens, traffic is queuing up and along comes farmer john in his Honda Jazz undertaking the whole bloody lot.

The new traffic light system going from Victoria Cross outside the old crows nest isn't ideal either.

Alot of people in the left lane who naturally enough want to turn left are stuck at a red light while the other light for straight on turns green.

The reverse has also occurred, before, those lights changed from green to red and red to green together.

There seems to be a sensor issue there as well, unless youre on top of the ASL, you wont get a right arrow in peak traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I saw a prize idiot on my way home this evening. I was stuck in traffic heading from Victoria Cross to Dennehys Cross.
    I am on the inside lane.
    2nd vehicle back from the pedestrian lights just before Orchard Road.

The traffic is also very heavy coming in the opposite direction, at a standstill on the inner lane, there, which many of you know is an imaginary one.
    Anyway the outer lane on that side is not too bad and traffic is moving along.

So I notice a motor cyclist on the outer lane and he slowed down and stopped at the pedestrian lights as they were red, which as we all know is the correct, safe and legal thing to do.

What does class idiot do? Just as the motor cyclist stopped, this clown passes him on the wrong side of the road.

Unfortunately I did not get his reg but it is a pity there was not a Garda there to witness it.

Advertisement