Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Crash/Traffic thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

There seems to be a sensor issue there as well, unless youre on top of the ASL, you wont get a right arrow in peak traffic.

The same place you’d be lucky to get 2/3 cars through before they change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Driving along the ballincollig bypass yesterday, doing about 115/120kph and pulled into the overtaking lane as I was coming up to a car doing about 85/90kph.
    I noticed the car now in front of me also doing below the limit, nothing wrong with that but he was in the overtaking lane while the driving lane was pretty much empty.
    Quick flash of the lights were ignored so I pulled back in and went passed. I then noticed all the cars were in the overtaking lane.
    I went passed 7 in total all driving miss daisy at about 100kph, in an overtaking lane with a limit of 120kph.
    Fupping idiots, rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

People don't know how to drive on dual carriageways. Once they go into the right hand lane a huge number of people just stay there regardless of what is in the main driving lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Driving was a lot easier and friendlier years ago.
    People gave way,
    Nobody argued,
    Not even me,
    No cutting you up.
    Cyclists stayed in.

Oohh I miss my BULL BARS.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tom44 wrote: »
    Driving was a lot easier and friendlier years ago.

Cyclists stayed in.

Cyclists weren't there, by and large. At least not in the organised groups we have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

.red. wrote: »
    Quick flash of the lights were ignored so I pulled back in and went passed. I then noticed all the cars were in the overtaking lane.
    I went passed 7 in total all driving miss daisy at about 100kph, in an overtaking lane with a limit of 120kph.
    Fupping idiots, rant over.

Not sure I follow exactly...was it one car at the front of these 7 cars holding everyone else up and they were all waiting for him to move in so they cousl speed up again rather than undertaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

namloc1980 wrote: »
    People don't know how to drive on dual carriageways. Once they go into the right hand lane a huge number of people just stay there regardless of what is in the main driving lane.

This is of course true but just as bad are people who think the speed limit in the overtaking lane is 140/150 kph. Up your hole with no stoppage distance when you're doing 120 (or maybe even 125) to overtake those doing 110/115

mordeith wrote: »
    This is of course true but just as bad are people who think the speed limit in the overtaking lane is 140/150 kph. Up your hole with no stoppage distance when you're doing 120 (or maybe even 125) to overtake those doing 110/115

They don't really annoy me anymore. I just move in once I've overtaken and leave them off. If they want to risk getting caught speeding/kill themselves then that's their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Cyclists weren't there, by and large. At least not in the organised groups we have now.

Cyclists were there well before we all got our SUVs!

Ludo wrote: »
    Not sure I follow exactly...was it one car at the front of these 7 cars holding everyone else up and they were all waiting for him to move in so they cousl speed up again rather than undertaking?

They were all happily motoring along at 95/100kph in the overtaking lane.
    I didn't realise how many cars were in front of me till I pulled back into the driving lane and went passed them all.

• Advertisement

Cyclists were there well before we all got our SUVs!

Not heaps upon heaps of them in lycra as part of a leisure activity; back then schoolkids, students and people that didn't have a car.

So possibly they were waiting for the first car in the line to move in and you went and under took them all. IF this was the case they did nothing wrong from what I can tell. What else are they supposed to do? All undertake? That is illegal, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Echo Article on the chemical spill in little island and the ensuing chaos last week.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Plan-is-needed-after-chemical-spill-chaos-in-Little-Island-e46a3696-edcf-4f21-bb4c-66573b32f3c9-ds

I was behind the truck that shed the load and rang it in. I actually felt bad for the people in all the cars as i knew they would be stuck for hours once the fire brigade got on the scene.

Echo Article on the chemical spill in little island and the ensuing chaos last week.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Plan-is-needed-after-chemical-spill-chaos-in-Little-Island-e46a3696-edcf-4f21-bb4c-66573b32f3c9-ds

I was behind the truck that shed the load and rang it in. I actually felt bad for the people in all the cars as i knew they would be stuck for hours once the fire brigade got on the seen.

Missed all that fcukery by seconds. Complete screw-up traffic-wise, like something you'd see in India or somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I was behind the truck that shed the load and rang it in. I actually felt bad for the people in all the cars as i knew they would be stuck for hours once the fire brigade got on the seen.

If it's the operator i suspect it is then i'm not surprised.

Peanuts & monkey's is a regular connection with that company if it is the one i'm thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

So possibly they were waiting for the first car in the line to move in and you went and under took them all. IF this was the case they did nothing wrong from what I can tell. What else are they supposed to do? All undertake? That is illegal, isn't it?

If you are in the driving lane, driving at/under the speed limit, and happen to go faster than the vehicle outside you, you are not breaking any law :)

Undertaking itself I think is illegal, but the real issue here is the person at the top driving in the outer lane while not overtaking.

As for the other cars, if they are also not overtaking, they should be in the driving lane.

If it's the operator i suspect it is then i'm not surprised.

Peanuts & monkey's is a regular connection with that company if it is the one i'm thinking of.

From the quick look i had of it, it seemed to me like it was a few unsecured stacked IBCs in the trailer and they came out through the side wall onto to footpath and proceded to spill their contents. They were incredibly lucky not to kill a pedestrian on the footpath as the containers landed right on it.

Im not doing anything wrong if I'm driving at or under the speed limit in the driving lane. The clowns in the wrong lanes are the ones in the wrong. If your not overtaking, don't go into the overtaking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Not heaps upon heaps of them in lycra as part of a leisure activity; back then schoolkids, students and people that didn't have a car.

Ah. a Different kettle of fish! (But no less entitled to be there).
    If we make it safer fir cyclists, they will be more of them and less congestion.
    Win win!

Its the fcukers jumping the lights in black around UCC that boil my piss. Absolutely oblivious to how invisible they are, and if i knock one over ive to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I was behind the truck that shed the load and rang it in. I actually felt bad for the people in all the cars as i knew they would be stuck for hours once the fire brigade got on the scene.

Lad I work with got stuck there, was over half an hour late because of it. Got an absolute bollocking from a manager and got reprimanded for it too, bloody ridiculous.

• Advertisement

If you are in the driving lane, driving at/under the speed limit, and happen to go faster than the vehicle outside you, you are not breaking any law :)
    .red. wrote: »
    Im not doing anything wrong if I'm driving at or under the speed limit in the driving lane.

I would respectfully disagree here I must say. If I am driving along at 120 and come across a string of cars in the overtaking lane at 110, as far as I know I am not allowed pass them on the left.
    Only time to pass on the left as far as I learned was in congested slow moving traffic.

Yes the guy at the front of the line of cars in the overtaking lane is an a-hole and should move in, but AFAIK that doesn't mean undertaking is allowed. 2 wrongs and all that.
    I may be completely wrong but IMHO lane-hogging is wrong but passing at speed on the left is dangerous (even if you are under the limit).

Quick search found this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055922731

Looks like a hot topic in the motoring forum every so often :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Yes the guy at the front of the line of cars in the overtaking lane is an a-hole and should move in, but AFAIK that doesn't mean undertaking is allowed. 2 wrongs and all that.
    I may be completely wrong but IMHO lane-hogging is wrong but passing at speed on the left is dangerous (even if you are under the limit).

Quick search found this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055922731

Looks like a hot topic in the motoring forum every so often :-)
    In your scenario, it probably is dangerous and unnecessary.
    But if the person is doing 70 or 80? Maybe slower (I have come across such people)?
    If you continue on and drive past them on the left, I don't believe it's any more dangerous than a backlog of traffic on two lanes (and a lot of frustrated drivers) to match their speed.

Difficult to capture or run through every possibility in such cases of course; but unless you are reckless I couldn't see a conviction.

The focus here should be on the person in the over taking lane. It's a prime example of a broken system where there are so many people on the road that shouldn't be. Cars can be tested every year by the NCT, but the person driving it gets tested once and then a few decades later. Lack of enforcement is another problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Got an absolute bollocking from a manager and got reprimanded for it too, bloody ridiculous.

What kind of bollox does your buddy work for?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Lad I work with got stuck there, was over half an hour late because of it. Got an absolute bollocking from a manager and got reprimanded for it too, bloody ridiculous.

Time for your buddy to look to get a new job. Manager sounds like a right clown.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious. There's truckloads of chemicals heading in and out of L.I. everyday.

“About two years ago, I asked for the detailed emergency plan for Little Island. I got a one-page assessment to say that there is an emergency plan in place and that it would be implemented in the event of an emergency....”

It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious.

“About two years ago, I asked for the detailed emergency plan for Little Island. I got a one-page assessment to say that there is an emergency plan in place and that it would be implemented in the event of an emergency....”

Its a solid plan - lockdown the island in the case of any event. It worked pretty well in The Dark Knight Rises. Anyone trying to leave is shot

Traffic like a dream for last few days, assume that will change when the little horrors, I mean, little dears go back to school.

Traffic like a dream for last few days, assume that will change when the little horrors, I mean, little dears go back to school.

I wish the same could be said for Little Island, took me 20 minutes to get from the middle of Eastgate to the roundabout by the bridge last night, its about 500 meters. Its gone completely nuts, theres literally no way off the island.

CHealy wrote: »
    I wish the same could be said for Little Island, took me 20 minutes to get from the middle of Eastgate to the roundabout by the bridge last night, its about 500 meters. Its gone completely nuts, theres literally no way off the island.

We were discussing in the other thread, that a second entrance / exit will be completed as part of the Dunkettle works. That should pretty much sort it, but a tough 2 years ahead for those trying to leave the island in the evening and get on in the morning.

Alot of people coming from eastgate seem to find it faster to go up by Cork Golf Club and down to the roundabout from there.

• Advertisement

Alot of people coming from eastgate seem to find it faster to go up by Cork Golf Club and down to the roundabout from there.

I actually used to go that way when it was free flowing but since the traffic lights went in its just been clogged back as far as the roundabout in the middle of Eastgate. Iv tried everything, forget going past BMW you'll be there all day, at the moment the best bet is to head past The Range and Harvey Norman and cut up past KFC, but thats getting just as bad now aswell, going the back road onto the tunnel isnt an option its so bad. Its genuine madness.

Advertisement