Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless or wired cctv camera's

Options
  • 04-12-2017 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi i want to install 4 cctv camera's on my house and was wondering what system would be best.A wireless or wired system. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Stay away from wireless stuff. It's not possible to get decent wireless cameras without spending big money and even then you need to wire power to the camera.

Hikvision is a good quality system.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Gtapo

Is it easy to wire cameras and do i need to wire a cable for power and a cable to DVR. Thanks

Stay away from wireless stuff. It's not possible to get decent wireless cameras without spending big money and even then you need to wire power to the camera.

Hikvision is a good quality system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Gtapo wrote: »
    Is it easy to wire cameras and do i need to wire a cable for power and a cable to DVR. Thanks

Fred Funk is on the ball. Get POE IP Cameras so you run one cable to provide power and network the cameras. Hikvision is good and there's a cheaper brand Hi-Watch available. Check out NVR rather than DVR for the IP camera

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Fred Funk is on the ball. Get POE IP Cameras so you run one cable to provide power and network the cameras. Hikvision is good and there's a cheaper brand Hi-Watch available. Check out NVR rather than DVR for the IP camera

Has anyone tried the Hi-Watch cameras? Is there much in the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Agree with the cabling install but the issue for most people with IP is the cost and the set up. Most people may not have the money, know how or patience to set up an IP system.

OP as mentioned the HIK Vision range is pretty good and as yes avoid wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Mr. G wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Hi-Watch cameras? Is there much in the difference?

I got one for 60 euro and I am impressed with the picture quality. The build is not as good as the Hikvision version(heavier feel to Hikvision) but I must admit the quality of the picture is very good. I am going to go Hi-Watch from now on as the price is very good and the setup is the same as Hikvision (same UI).

I only have it one month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

I'd go for a wired system, I installed a 4 camera system at home over the summer. It's hard work running the cables around the attic and feeding them down the inside walls and I had 1 failed cable I kinked by accident and had to rerun. Worth doing but give yourself time. I bought that fibre glass cable pole system that screws together for the vertical wall runs and cable tied everything up in the attic. I'm currently redecorating so can cover up the holes I made! I went for HikVision POE cameras and an 8 port DVR, very happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

Hi Mike_2009, what system did you go for in the end, I am looking for the same set up,

Thanks Redved

My kit list was as follows:

4 x Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I 8MP Turret Network Camera (3 x 2.8mm - wider view, 1 x 4mm - narrower view)
    1 x Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2-8P | 8 Channel Network Video Recorder DS-7608NI-K2-8P - this also provides POE
    2 x 4TB WD Purple WD40PURZ, 3.5" AV Surveillance HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 5400rpm, 64MB Cache, NCQ

Various Micro SD cards (Class 10+) which go directly into the camera themselves in case the DVR is swiped,for example:
    128GB Toshiba Exceria M302 Micro SD, Record and play in 4K and full HD, Up to 90MB/s Read, With SD Adaptor

Cat6a F/FTP Cable 100m (solid, not stranded, flame retardant)
    Punchdown tool
    6 x Modular sockets (terminates 2 x cables each)
    Cat 6 Patch leads - 2m (to DVR from sockets in room) & 7m (to CCTV cameras from sockets in attic)
    Cable access kit 10m (this is the screw together fishing rod to push/pull cables)

Note: The DVR fans are noisy, locate appropriately
    You can hook a monitor up to the DVR directly or via a HDMI extender to get a live view. Also you can connect to your internet router to access over the local network. Hikvision also provide a web based service that you can register against to view the cameras and historical footage remotely and an app for your phone too. Very handy!
    The 8MP is probably overkill and it's reckoned a lower MP is better at night but I've no complaints. Running the cables was the hardest part. Solid cable does not tolerate kinks as I found out so keep it on nice loose bends.

The things I've caught teens doing in my garden.......!

That must of set you back a nice bit. Fair play for doing it. The HIKvision gear is good stuff. Pictures are quality arent they.

• Advertisement

Yep, about 1.5K all told. Started with one of the cameras, wired the house, then got the other 3 and DVR. Motion detection is very sensitive so a lot of false alerts from shadows and sun etc but that's par for the course. Picture is very good for people coming towards the camera, less so from side to side at 6fps, might increase back to 24fps. Any static person and you get a very clear picture. Still tweaking things a bit! They have a good range of cameras to suit most requirements but I heard they are looking to withdraw from residential market and only sell via installers but there are still a good few avenues to get them direct so hope that doesn't cut off supply. Hope to get a good few years out of them!
    Plenty of cats about for sure!

mike_2009 wrote: »
    Yep, about 1.5K all told. Started with one of the cameras, wired the house, then got the other 3 and DVR. Motion detection is very sensitive so a lot of false alerts from shadows and sun etc but that's par for the course. Picture is very good for people coming towards the camera, less so from side to side at 6fps, might increase back to 24fps. Any static person and you get a very clear picture. Still tweaking things a bit! They have a good range of cameras to suit most requirements but I heard they are looking to withdraw from residential market and only sell via installers but there are still a good few avenues to get them direct so hope that doesn't cut off supply. Hope to get a good few years out of them!
    Plenty of cats about for sure!

Fair play that is a fine set up so. Turn down the sensitivity on the motion and it wont be as bad and maybe get the recording resolutions to be lower when there is no motion being detected (presuming you have not done so already).

I cant see them closing off the market to installers only and even if they did getting the gear would still be handy enough so no panic there.

Yeah you should get a few years out of it no problems. Keep the firmware up to date and you should have no problems. All the firmware is on the download portal for free.

Hi i got a 4 camera wired cctv system installed but a few of the cameras have fuzzy horizontal lines across them in live view. How could this be fixed. Thanks

Not sure - have them on one of my cameras, thought it might be where the network cable runs across a main 240v wire or something? Try one of the cameras directly with a short patch lead to the DVR and see....?

Not sure - have them on one of my cameras, thought it might be where the network cable runs across a main 240v wire or something? Try one of the cameras directly with a short patch lead to the DVR and see....?

Ok thanks any tips how to make the cameras better in the dark. Thanks

Gtapo wrote: »
    Hi i got a 4 camera wired cctv system installed but a few of the cameras have fuzzy horizontal lines across them in live view. How could this be fixed. Thanks

There could be many reasons for that issue. We would need more info regarding the type of system, cabling, camera types, cable routes etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

My kit list was as follows:

4 x Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I 8MP Turret Network Camera (3 x 2.8mm - wider view, 1 x 4mm - narrower view)
    1 x Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2-8P | 8 Channel Network Video Recorder DS-7608NI-K2-8P - this also provides POE
    2 x 4TB WD Purple WD40PURZ, 3.5" AV Surveillance HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 5400rpm, 64MB Cache
    Hi can i ask where you bought the equipment?

Payton wrote: »
    Hi can i ask where you bought the equipment?

Ebay/Amazon will have them. Plenty of places online will sell them even your locals sparks store may have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

I would also be interested where you purchased from, UK or IE?

My rear camera wasn't great in the dark as it was picking up reflected infra red off the wall of the house. I had to override the automatic settings for force it to believe I wanted a 30 meter throw range, rather than 1-5. It's in the advanced settings of the camera. Other than that the cameras perform well in the dark, the model I went for doesn't have a ring of infra red lights around the lens, it sits side by side which is a better arrangement for night vision I'm told. All you can do is wait until it gets dark, look at live view and fiddle with the settings until you're happy. I'm told 2MP perform better at night than 8MP but from the detail of video I've reviewed it's fine for my purposes. I got some stuff off ebay, the rest off two UK companies - I'll PM the details to you. The brexit exchange rate helped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Worth doing but give yourself time. I bought that fibre glass cable pole system that screws together for the vertical wall runs and cable tied everything up in the attic.

Could you share a link to pole system you mentioned?

Anyone found a way to save to the cloud so that if your DVR/NVR got stolen you would still have content?

I’m assuming these camera and systems are better than nest/arlo/circle/ring etc......? Just wondering if anyone compared....?

Cheers

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Could you share a link to pole system you mentioned?

Anyone found a way to save to the cloud so that if your DVR/NVR got stolen you would still have content?

I’m assuming these camera and systems are better than nest/arlo/circle/ring etc......? Just wondering if anyone compared....?

Cheers

They are cable rods, you would get them in a hardware store. Here is a link to what they are. I would not buy cheap ones like the ones in the link as they snap very easily.
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/CABLE-ACCESS-KIT-LONG-REACH-10-X-330MM-PULLER-ROD-WIRES-HOOK-RING-EXTEND-TOOLBOX/261811198226?hash=item3cf529d912:g:NMsAAOSw0hlZE2JG

Here is a Youtube video showing how to save to a cloud.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrYW5ENCc3o

Yes imo Hikvision cameras are better than those IOTs which you mentioned.

Pm Sent re: cable access kit 10M
    I think dedicated camera providers will always be better than devices which are designed more multiple purposes. Not used any of the ones mentioned but each has their place.
    As for saving to the cloud, I use email integration which let's me get notification of any alerts with an image attached. If I see something other than a bird or cat I can log in live to check....also audio alerts are very useful if your alarm goes off and it doesn't have text notification capability. Lots of uses!

Advertisement