Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent medical health issues and up coming pre employment medical

Options
  • 05-12-2017 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I've recently been discharged from a mental health hospital after 12 weeks treatment that went really well, I just got a job offer that requires a fairly stringent medical, I'm lost as I know disclosing my recent past will hinder my chances and yet I know that saying nothing is not the right thing either for my health. Has anybody got through a medical so soon after discharge? Can I be honest and have a chance of passing? If I'm dishonest is that really stupid?

I'm lost, any guidance would be appreciated. This is my one and only admission to any hospital.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

pat c wrote: »
    Hi all, I've recently been discharged from a mental health hospital after 12 weeks treatment that went really well, I just got a job offer that requires a fairly stringent medical, I'm lost as I know disclosing my recent past will hinder my chances and yet I know that saying nothing is not the right thing either for my health. Has anybody got through a medical so soon after discharge? Can I be honest and have a chance of passing? If I'm dishonest is that really stupid?

I'm lost, any guidance would be appreciated. This is my one and only admission to any hospital.

What is the job and what sort of medical are they looking for?

Some positions will be testing for drug use. Some for physical health in the case where the job requires a lot of physical work.

Im not sure how many jobs would get involved in testing the mental stability of the employee.

In either case they cant find out about your hospital stay unless you tell them. But if they ask then obviously you shouldnt lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pat c

Thanks Broken Arrows,

Its a process role, the medical questionnaire has details of Hospital stays etc. I know they cant discriminate but with my stay being so recent I feel as though I wont have a chance, medical on Thursday so bringing the questionnaire to my GP and hoping he can write a note stating that it is one off and that I'm now fit for work, fingers crossed it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pat c

Medical done and the mental health piece went well thank God. My luck ran out when the gp found a hernia that needs surgery, passed fit with a note to the employer that ill need surgery in the near future. Bad run of luck, glad they found it, but play the waiting game again now to see if they offer me the position ill keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Even if the hernia rules you out you’ve gained the confidence that your recent hospital stay shouldn’t hinder you further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

pat c wrote: »
    Medical done and the mental health piece went well thank God. My luck ran out when the gp found a hernia that needs surgery, passed fit with a note to the employer that ill need surgery in the near future. Bad run of luck, glad they found it, but play the waiting game again now to see if they offer me the position ill keep you posted.

They just found a hernia?
    I thought hernia was something you would already know about? Its supposed to be very painful!

• Advertisement
Advertisement