Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase notice?

Options
  • 05-12-2017 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi everyone,
    We've been renting a property for the last year in a rent pressure zone. We signed a one year lease that ends this month and have agreed to sign another with the landlord in the coming week.
    There has been no mention of a rent increase so far but I was just wondering if it is possible that we might be given one in the new lease?
    I know that usually you must be given notice of increases and that it can only be 4% but does that also apply to signing one year leases each year? Do they need to give the same notice?
    I might be worrying over nothing but thought I'd ask here. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You are entitled to the same notice and same rent increase limits, that doesn't change just because you're on a 1 year lease.

The length of your tenancy is determined by the amount of time you've been in the property, not the length of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Also keep in mind that you have security of tenure under Part 4 of the RTA since you've been in the property for more than six months. This means the landlord can't terminate your tenancy except for an allowable reason (landlord is selling the property, substantially refurbishing the property, moving himself or a family member into the property, or if you have violated your tenant's obligations) even without a new fixed term lease. Don't feel pressured into signing a lease if you aren't certain you want to remain in the property for at least another year; it's not necessary to continue your tenancy. (If you are certain you wish to remain, though, then a new fixed term lease would provide you some additional security, as a landlord can't terminate a fixed term lease even for the usual Part 4 reasons unless there's a break clause in the lease itself allowing them to do so.)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

If your lease commenced prior to the 24th December 2016 you are not eligible for a rent increase until 2 years has expired.

Advertisement