Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game recommendations to a new owner

Options
  • 05-12-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

During the Black Friday, I decided to purchase PS4 Slim as an addition to my gaming setup. The last console I have owned was the first Xbox which was over 10 years ago now and have been only gaming on my PC and will continue to do so alongside with PS4.
    So far, I have been really happy with my purchase and enjoy it, however, I only got 3 games in the bundle and looking to expand my collection of games. The issue I have right now is that I'm barely aware of any recent PS4 / Console titles and have little idea of what to look into buying.

My current collection includes the 3 games I got in my bundle - Gran Turismo Sport, Call of Duty WWII and Hidden Agenda. I have also purchased The Last of Us Remastered and Until Dawn through the €30 deal and also have Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection being shipped to me as I'm writing this.

I would appreciate if people could suggest games I should look into getting for PS4, however, note that I'm primarily looking for PS4/Console exclusives which cannot be played on PC as I prefer to have games on PC if I can help it.

Thanks,
    Marty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

That's a good collection to start with. I'd pick up Horizon Zero Dawn. Must have exclusives for me would be TLOU, HZD, Uncharted and Until Dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Marty5678

Been looking into Horizon Zero Dawn too, waiting to see if it's going to be on sale as apparently there is a chance it will be in the 12 days of Christmas deals. I have also been looking into Bloodborne and inFamous series. But yeah, I'm open to hearing more suggestions on what to get even if it's not strictly PS4/Console only.

In that case I'd get the Division. New update today. It's an old game but there's tons of content although you'd need to pick up the DLCs to get everything. Should be relatively cheap although it's not on the PSN store.

Warframe free to play PSN download.

Wolfenstein The New Order €5 last week but excellent game. Doom, get Doom for god's sake.

There's a lot of cheap older stuff on the PSN store. I picked up Tomb Raider Celebration edition last month and quite enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Check out the Last Guardian, Tearaway Unfolded and the Gravity Rush games as well.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    In that case I'd get the Division. New update today. It's an old game but there's tons of content although you'd need to pick up the DLCs to get everything. Should be relatively cheap although it's not on the PSN store.

Warframe free to play PSN download.

Wolfenstein The New Order €5 last week but excellent game. Doom, get Doom for god's sake.

There's a lot of cheap older stuff on the PSN store. I picked up Tomb Raider Celebration edition last month and quite enjoyed it.

Going to keep my eye on those, although I'd say The Division would better on PC in my case.
    Check out the Last Guardian, Tearaway Unfolded and the Gravity Rush games as well.

Gravity Rush wouldn't be a game that I would consider playing, not my kind of game at all. Been considering The Last Guardian in the €30 deal as well.

• Advertisement

Division is free to play on all platforms this weekend and then you can buy it for a significant discount for a limited time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Fortnite is free to play and is a real blast in a group or alone, feel free to add me on PSN and I can add you to a group chat we have set up for organising party's.

Its basically a battle royal survival game!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I am a PC gamer so I bought the PS4 just for the exclusives as I can get the main other games cheaper on PC
    so excluding what you have or are going to get I would recommend picking up
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Finish off your Uncharted collection with the last 2 games
    Journey
    Heavy Rain/Beyond: Two Souls double pack
    The Order 1886
    Zombi
    Killzone: Shadowfall
    The Last Guardian

upcoming games
    Death Stranding
    Days Gone
    Detroit: Become Human

SeanHarty wrote: »
    Fortnite is free to play and is a real blast in a group or alone, feel free to add me on PSN and I can add you to a group chat we have set up for organising party's.

Its basically a battle royal survival game!

Unfortunately, Fortnite isn't really my cup of tea, especially on a console. Rather prefer PUBG.
    Skerries wrote: »
    I am a PC gamer so I bought the PS4 just for the exclusives as I can get the main other games cheaper on PC
    so excluding what you have or are going to get I would recommend picking up
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Finish off your Uncharted collection with the last 2 games
    Journey
    Heavy Rain/Beyond: Two Souls double pack
    The Order 1886
    Zombi
    Killzone: Shadowfall
    The Last Guardian

upcoming games
    Death Stranding
    Days Gone
    Detroit: Become Human

Thanks, exactly what I wanted. Will have to keep eye on those and see if I can find any good deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Marty5678 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Fortnite isn't really my cup of tea, especially on a console. Rather prefer PUBG.QUOTE]

fair enough!

I'm hoping to get PUBG when it drops on the xbox next week :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bloodborne is far and away the best game on PS4. Might not be for you as it is very difficult. If you do get it get the version which includes the expansion as it's incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Rainbox Six Seige.

All other games are ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Titanfall 2 is still the best fps on the system. I've been playing it since launch and no other game has offered so much free content and the feeling of getting your titan is still awesome in every match. I'm mostly playing frontier defence mode to max out all my titan abilities right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Why would he buy fps on a console when hes got a PC? He can play real basketball, not wheelchair basketball folks :P

Anyway hes looking for PS4 "exclusives"

I second Bloodborne, it is one of the best games ever created.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

nix wrote: »
    Why would he buy fps on a console when hes got a PC? He can play real basketball, not wheelchair basketball folks :P

Anyway hes looking for PS4 "exclusives"

I second Bloodborne, it is one of the best games ever created.

Bloodborne is not for everyone.

Don't get me wrong there's no doubt it's a fantastic game. It looks amazing, sounds amazing and has seriously tight controls.

But, if your patience isn't the best or you're not in the mood to concentrate much after a hard day in the office or whatever it will absolutely and utterly massacre you.

This will in turn spur you on to keep trying or make you incredibly frustrated and fling the controller at a wall.

I'd like to say I'm in the former bracket. However, I am not. :-(

As for other games to try OP I know you ruled out Gravity Rush for not being your thing but if you haven't tried it (I don't know if you have) I'd say give it a chance. The first one blew me away. So different, amazing art style and music. I bought the second one in a sale recently but haven't gotten round to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I agree with murphyebass on Bloodborne. I don't get much time to play and I can't be bothered with Bloodborne. Takes too much time, I'd rather pick up something easier. The whole game looks amazing, it in a really cool world and has great atmosphere and style though, but I think I gave it 2 nights of playing and gave up.

I definitely don't have any interest in getting FPS games on the console, especially when I already have Siege and Titanfall 2 on PC. I already have enough trouble aiming at WWII and Killzone so FPS is out of the question.
    I was considering Bloodborne, but from my view, it's similar to Dark Souls games (which I also have on PC) which I do not play either as it takes quite a bit of time to focus on it properly and can be frustrating. Might look into getting it once I run out of games to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Thats the thing with the souls/borne games, they take a lil time for the hook to sink in because of that difficulty spike. Majority of gamers have been conditioned with an easy difficulty curve in their games, they just button mash to the end just watching the story and feeling fulfilled by the beautiful journey.

With bloodborne, when i first started, i was so close to throwing it back into the box and taking it back, but i kept at it and the further i got, the better the game got, taking down a big boss, no better gaming feeling of achievement, and i now class it as the best game I've ever played.

You just need to learn how to approach the combat, you just cant go windmilling in like in most games, you can eventually when you learn the mobs and get good at side stepping into combat etc then you got the parry mastering which just makes you feel like a true monster hunter :D

Its sad that people keep playing the same safe games over and over, the only real experience they get from the game is the story, you can get that from watching a movie. When its a game you're playing, it should be difficult and rewarding :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Souls games are pure videogames. It's all about mastering the mechanics and overcoming the challenges set by the developer.

Most other modern games are stories were the gameplay gets in the way of the next cutscene.

Putting your fist through the wall is a minor inconvenience to get to such gaming bliss.

Advertisement