Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation after Leopardstown

Options
  • 05-12-2017 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are travelling to the Leopardstown Christmas festival on the 29th and looking for accommodation recommendations for afterwards. We stayed in Clayton Leopardstown last year & Talbot Stillorgan the year before but both had no atmosphere in the evening.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay that isn't too far away where there would be a few bars nearby. We don't want to do city centre as we are travelling up that morning and would need to park city centre and then make our way out which would be time consuming.

Thanking you in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Go Airbnb and get a place.

dizzydoll wrote: »
    Hi all,

We are travelling to the Leopardstown Christmas festival on the 29th and looking for accommodation recommendations for afterwards. We stayed in Clayton Leopardstown last year & Talbot Stillorgan the year before but both had no atmosphere in the evening.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay that isn't too far away where there would be a few bars nearby. We don't want to do city centre as we are travelling up that morning and would need to park city centre and then make our way out which would be time consuming.

Thanking you in advance!

Not the answer you asked for but don't rule out town. It's 25 minutes on the Luas plus a short walk to the course and you'll have lots of options and plenty of life. If you can't be bothered with the Luas it's less than half an hour in a taxi and 20 euro.

Outside of that there isn't much life anywhere walking distance from the course (so you'd be getting a taxi anyway). There will be a crowd after racing in the Leop Inn and maybe a couple of other spots but they are isolated.

You could consider Dun Laoghaire, Blackrock but not sure what the accomodation options are like and again, you'd still need to get a taxi. Ranelagh could be another option for a marginally shorter Luas ride and easier parking, but airbnb or bnbs probably the only option there.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Lepp Inn is the only decent bar in the immediate area if you're looking to stay close.

Then there's the Goat which is slightly further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It's hardly time consuming staying in town, 20 minutes on the Luas will get you to where you want to go and you'll have your pick of bars when you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Where are you travelling up from, ie. are you coming from the West or South?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dizzydoll

Thanks for the advice! I am travelling up from the South and with it being a working day & Christmas sale shopping we thought getting into city centre to park the car beforehand would be a nightmare!

Thanks for the advice! I am travelling up from the South and with it being a working day & Christmas sale shopping we thought getting into city centre to park the car beforehand would be a nightmare!

I travel across the city every year to Leopardstown, I can confirm that getting into the city will be extremely easy at that time in the morning, it's very quiet until later in the day.

I don't know what your budget is but the Hilton is opposite the charlemont luas stop or the camden court is around the corner from the harcourt stop, either would mean not having to go through the city centre and a very quick turnaround to get out to the races.

Unfortunately I don't think there's much in ranelagh hotel wise which would be the obvious other option.

Thanks Orinoco for the great advice! I had already looked at the Camden court because I have heard Camden street is a good area so will probably try there. Can we get the Luas straight from the Harcourt stop out to the Sandyford stop which I believe is the closest. How long is it in a taxi from there? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks Orinoco for the great advice! I had already looked at the Camden court because I have heard Camden street is a good area so will probably try there. Can we get the Luas straight from the Harcourt stop out to the Sandyford stop which I believe is the closest. How long is it in a taxi from there? Sorry for all the questions.

Harcourt is on the green line so straight out to sandyford from there, yes. Takes about 25 minutes or so and a 10 minute walk at the end. They are pretty regular.

A taxi will take about half an hour and will cost maybe 25 euro, not totally sure. Wouldn't be ruinous for a group anyway.

There is indeed lots of life near the Camden Court to suit anyone.

Thanks Orinoco ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Get the Luas, they run a free shuttle bus from sandyford to the track on race days.

Thanks RasTa, do you need to prebook tickets for the free shuttle or just arrive on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Thanks RasTa, do you need to prebook tickets for the free shuttle or just arrive on the day?

First come first served in the times I've gone at Christmas and other times of the years you generally get on one once it arrives. When leaving the course you may have to wait for the second one but it's well managed.

Buy a return Luas as there is normally a Luas waiting once the shuttle arrives back to the stop so you'll be able to just jump on.

It's only a 15 min walk too from the course to Sandyford Luas, if worse comes to worse.

Thanks Gavin :)

Advertisement