Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,745 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Interesting story on Bloomberg this morning.

Essentially, the report says the UK has signalled that it is going to accept the EU take on "regulatory alignment" for NI, provided that this can be extended to the whole of the UK, to avoid an intra-UK regulatory border.

This would in some ways be a huge climbdown by the UK, effectively subjecting the whole of the UK to the EU regulatory regime for goods (as well, of course, as keeping the whole of the UK in the customs union - the Bloomberg article doesn't say so, but I think this is implicit in the UK's proposal).

However the report also says that the EU is going to reject this.

It doesn't say why, but presumably it's because the EU would see it as cherry-picking - in effect, the UK remains in the single market for goods, but not for services or labour. They are willing to allow a modest degree of cherry-picking to facilitate an open border in Ireland, provided this is confined to the border region (i.e. to NI), but they will not allow the whole of the UK to benefit from this cherry-picking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Econ_

Peregrinus wrote: »

Essentially, the report says the UK has signalled that it is going to accept the EU take on "regulatory alignment" for NI, provided that this can be extended to the whole of the UK, to avoid an intra-UK regulatory border.

This would in some ways be a huge climbdown by the UK, effectively subjecting the whole of the UK to the EU regulatory regime for goods (as well, of course, as keeping the whole of the UK in the customs union - the Bloomberg article doesn't say so, but I think this is implicit in the UK's proposal).

It doesn't say why, but presumably it's because the EU would see it as cherry-picking - in effect, the UK remains in the single market for goods, but not for services or labour. They are willing to allow a modest degree of cherry-picking to facilitate an open border in Ireland, provided this is confined to the border region (i.e. to NI), but they will not allow the whole of the UK to benefit from this cherry-picking.

‘We accept NI will be legally tied to the CU but we want the rest of the UK not to be legally obliged to follow but we will voluntarily commit ourselves to aligning with NI’

I think that is the road they are trying to go down. It is no wonder the EU won’t accept this as it creates the potential for there to be a complete mess with the border if the UK backs out of their ‘voluntary commitment’ at any point in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Econ_ wrote: »
    ‘We accept NI will be legally tied to the CU but we want the rest of the UK not to be legally obliged to follow but we will voluntarily commit ourselves to aligning with NI’

I think that is the road they are trying to go down. It is no wonder the EU won’t accept this as it creates the potential for there to be a complete mess with the border if the UK backs out of their ‘voluntary commitment’ at any point in the future.

Exactly. More uninformed doublespeak by the Tories while they thrash around looking for a way out of the clusterfúck they created. A bespoke deal seems impossible. It's on a knife edge now. Either they capitulate or they crash out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

And by if you mean when? Because in the last year we've see how much the UK's word is worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Thomas__.

And by if you mean when? Because in the last year we've see how much the UK's word is worth.

I am convinced that the UK, that means this present UK govt, is heading for a crash out of the EU with a hard Brexit cos that is all they wanted and all the talk and negotiations are just a side show to pass the time. Otherwise they could have proved themselves reliable and more to the point, reasonable. It is because of the performance of this present UK govt (I always use 'present' cos I still hope that Mrs May will be overthrown before the Brexit negotiations are complete) that the word of the UK counts for nothing and can't be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

More and more I am starting to reconcile myself with the understanding that Brexit is the 'bleeding' that Euroscepticism needed.

What is transpiring is precisely what we 'Remoaners' predicted -- that beneath all the bombast and symbolism of sovereignty, immigration, bureaucracy and 'taking back control' -- the Brexit process, without any plan, would flounder in the reality of the legal, financial and political technicalities. The British are being given a national education on the nature of their country's relationship with the EU (and Ireland) -- that it is complex and sometimes seemingly bureaucratic precisely because we live in a part of the world which has the unique distinction of having a whole host of wealthy and powerful sovereign states squeezed into a relatively small peninsula. People harp on about bendy bananas and cubed butter, but when you actually look at the Treaty provisions on the Free Movement of Goods and the European Court case law, you see that sometimes the apparent bureaucracy actually works and has a very rational basis for the proper and harmonious functioning of European economies.

It's all becoming very strange now and all the constant talk has rendered little manifest progress, but I am now thinking that Brexit is perhaps exactly the shock treatment which the UK (or rather the south-eastern constituents of the UK) needed to finally face up to the scapegoatism which is inherent in the Eurosceptic school of thought and the recalibration of the British national identity in the wake of its diminished global influence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Thomas__. wrote: »
    I am convinced that the UK, that means this present UK govt, is heading for a crash out of the EU with a hard Brexit cos that is all they wanted and all the talk and negotiations are just a side show to pass the time. Otherwise they could have proved themselves reliable and more to the point, reasonable. It is because of the performance of this present UK govt (I always use 'present' cos I still hope that Mrs May will be overthrown before the Brexit negotiations are complete) that the word of the UK counts for nothing and can't be trusted.

You could expand on that view - the UK keep to their cakeist utterances until push comes to shove and then capitulate, or at least attempt to hide the truth (lie), or kick the can down the road.

Will they face the chaos that a crash out would cause, with aircraft on the ground and lorries parked on the M2 and M25? We will see, but the EU are calling them out at the moment so it is put up or crash out for the UK - decide now not in 11 months time.

By the way, I don’t think there’s any real prospect of the U.K. crashing out. I don’t think parliament will let it happen - if push comes to shove they’ll pass an amendment to extend article 50. And if that fails on account of the EU not wanting to drag it out, I think it’s more likely that parliament will push through a referendum to withdraw article 50 permanently rather than accept no deal.

Basically, parliament has a lot of power in this when it comes down to it and I can’t see many of them wanting to risk their political careers on the back of crashing out of the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Thomas__.

Thomas__. wrote: »

You could expand on that view - the UK keep to their cakeist utterances until push comes to shove and then capitulate, or at least attempt to hide the truth (lie), or kick the can down the road.

Will they face the chaos that a crash out would cause, with aircraft on the ground and lorries parked on the M2 and M25?  We will see, but the EU are calling them out at the moment so it is put up or crash out for the UK - decide now not in 11 months time.

The UK govt is careless, has been since BrexitRef and will be to the end of the negotiations. They have wasted too much time since and their suggestions and demands were that insane and unreasonable that they had to be rejected by the EU. Every warning, not just from the EU but also from their domestic experts (which the Brexiteers hate as much as the EU) have either been dismissed or simply ignored.

I had never thought of such a muppet show like incapable and illusioned UK govt like this one to ever surface. They put their whole economy and the existence of millions of their people at risk and think that somehow it won't be that bad to leave the EU without a deal, still thinking that once they are out, plenty of non-EU countries will queue up for getting trade deals with them. Even the response from economical strong CoN countries like Canada and Australia was rather low to feed the expectations of the Brexiteers that all will be better outside of the EU. The two mentioned countries have other interests and trade ties with other countries more closer to them than the UK. They want to head for their economical suicide and catrastrophe and they will get it. Too strongheaded to realise that before it is too late.

I reckon with a Scottish IndyRef2 when the UK leaves the EU without a deal and I estimate that the mood in Scotland regarding Independence will swing to an overall majority, just for the sake to avoid the consequences for Scotland that come with the post-Brexit 'era'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

He will be. "Head of the Commonwealth" is a title with no powers or functions attached. The Commonwealth as an organisation can function perfectly well without a "Head". The only point of having a "Head" is to give the British monarch a role in the Commonwealth; the title was introduced when India became a republic, and for the first time the Commonwealth included a member which did not have the British monarch as head of state. Being "Head" of the Commonwealth gives the Queen a connection to each member state which doesn't depend on her being Queen of it.

I think this announcement is timely, given the mention of the 'Commonwealth' recently, particularly in relation to the poor treatment received by the 'Windrush' people who derive from 'Commonwealth' countries.
    Peregrinus wrote:
    If the British monarch isn't the Head of the Commonwealth, there is literally no point at all to having a Head. So the choice isn't so much "should it be the British monarch or someone else?" but "should the Commonwealth have a head or not?"

Agree. The other question is 'should there be a 'Commonwealth' anymore? Is it relevant? Do the citizens of the Commonwealth derive any benefit from being in it?

Brexit has just opened a massive bag of worms in so many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

By the way, I don’t think there’s any real prospect of the U.K. crashing out. I don’t think parliament will let it happen - if push comes to shove they’ll pass an amendment to extend article 50. And if that fails on account of the EU not wanting to drag it out, I think it’s more likely that parliament will push through a referendum to withdraw article 50 permanently rather than accept no deal.

Basically, parliament has a lot of power in this when it comes down to it and I can’t see many of them wanting to risk their political careers on the back of crashing out of the EU.
    I haven't seen any indication from the HoC that this could come to pass. The Lords seems more sensible but ultimately is subservient to the lower house.

And May would characterise this as 'UK - frustrated - making a concession to the bullyig EU, to save NI and preserve the Union', while really, they are thinking 'this could be our chance to save the Union and the UK economy'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It's quite funny in some ways both Irish political traditions have her on the ropes.

On the one side, if she causes a Northern Ireland border, the Irish Government will veto any trade deal.
    On the other side, if she attempts to cause any border between Northern Ireland and Britain, she'll have the DUP pulling the plug on her minority government.

Effectively, she has to deliver the status quo for Northern Ireland, as she's absolutely no other options except to cause mayhem in Northern Ireland and cost the UK billions with no EU trade deal.

If nothing else, it's showing the GFA is working to protect both communities interests in NI and also it should show the UK that you actually have to honour major international treaties you signed up to, or there are major economic and political consequences to breaking those agreements.

There's still a notion in the UK that the Northern Ireland Peace Agreement can just be unilaterally overridden or torn up without any political fallout. It's proving to to be anything but the case.

In a way, by extension to the fact that Ireland is a member of the EU, the EU has more or less taken on a role in standing behind the GFA as it's in one of its members core interests. That border is also one of the key examples of how the EU's structures allowed two communities to find a solution to a centuries old mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I don’t think parliament will let it happen - if push comes to shove they’ll pass an amendment to extend article 50.
    They do not have that power or prerogative. That is solely the EU’s.
    And if that fails on account of the EU not wanting to drag it out, I think it’s more likely that parliament will push through a referendum to withdraw article 50 permanently rather than accept no deal.
    That one is allegedly more do-able, but only through the EU sanctioning the requisite fudge. So again the EU owns the balance of power.

May effectively stripped Parliament of powers in relation to Brexit by default, when she deposited the Art.50 notification: from that point forward, the EU was always going to have the advantage no matter what, even if all it did was simply wait out the clock, because Parliament does not have jurisdiction over the TEU and it’s effects.

This is why all the noises about a Parliament vote against a government-negotiated deal restoring the situation to status quo ante (U.K. back in EU by default) weren’t worth entertaining or engaging about, and still aren’t, no matter what journos and politicos may proclaim: a Parliament vote against that deal, means an exit in March 2019 without any deal, ie a hard Brexit, if there is insufficient time to tweak the deal and re-vote.

By October 2018, that is, to ensure it is also voted by all the other democratic representative assemblies in the EU (which thus have, effectively, just as much power as Parliament in that respect) in good time by March 2019.

All the above long-known to longtime thread followers, but worth reiterating as a refresher.

More and more I am starting to reconcile myself with the understanding that Brexit is the 'bleeding' that Euroscepticism needed.

What is transpiring is precisely what we 'Remoaners' predicted -- that beneath all the bombast and symbolism of sovereignty, immigration, bureaucracy and 'taking back control' -- the Brexit process, without any plan, would flounder in the reality of the legal, financial and political technicalities. The British are being given a national education on the nature of their country's relationship with the EU (and Ireland) -- that it is complex and sometimes seemingly bureaucratic precisely because we live in a part of the world which has the unique distinction of having a whole host of wealthy and powerful sovereign states squeezed into a relatively small peninsula. People harp on about bendy bananas and cubed butter, but when you actually look at the Treaty provisions on the Free Movement of Goods and the European Court case law, you see that sometimes the apparent bureaucracy actually works and has a very rational basis for the proper and harmonious functioning of European economies.

It's all becoming very strange now and all the constant talk has rendered little manifest progress, but I am now thinking that Brexit is perhaps exactly the shock treatment which the UK (or rather the south-eastern constituents of the UK) needed to finally face up to the scapegoatism which is inherent in the Eurosceptic school of thought and the recalibration of the British national identity in the wake of its diminished global influence.

Excellently well put. I think its also been instructive for far right parties in countries like France, Italy, Austria, Hungary etc... And for EU citizens more generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

If that happens we will have a ringside seat to the UK devouring itself.[/QUOTE

May be ominous for the Republic's economy also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

He will be. "Head of the Commonwealth" is a title with no powers or functions attached. The Commonwealth as an organisation can function perfectly well without a "Head". The only point of having a "Head" is to give the British monarch a role in the Commonwealth; the title was introduced when India became a republic, and for the first time the Commonwealth included a member which did not have the British monarch as head of state. Being "Head" of the Commonwealth gives the Queen a connection to each member state which doesn't depend on her being Queen of it.

If the British monarch isn't the Head of the Commonwealth, there is literally no point at all to having a Head. So the choice isn't so much "should it be the British monarch or someone else?" but "should the Commonwealth have a head or not?"

Thing is the British strung their colonies along, telling them that after the Queen of England, there would be an elected head, presumably from among the countries - sort of like democratically...

Seemed quite repulsive seeing all the pms eg Trudeau a supposed modernist and African and Asian leaders ,etc bowing to their monarch, justifying their occupation, in the British news recently.

Furthermore, it just proves Britain just cannot accept being an equal member of anything.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    In a way, by extension to the fact that Ireland is a member of the EU, the EU has more or less taken on a role in standing behind the GFA as it's in one of its members core interests. That border is also one of the key examples of how the EU's structures allowed two communities to find a solution to a centuries old mess.

I think the EU may be party to the agreement also.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I think the EU may be party to the agreement also.

It's not actually. It's a bilateral agreement between two countries lodged with the United Nations, but the GFA does make reference to the EU.

And locally the Ulster Unionist Party, Sinn Féin, the SDLP, the Alliance Party, the Progressive Unionist Party, the Northern Ireland Women's Coalition, the Ulster Democratic Party and Labour are all formally signatories to it.

Notably the DUP isn't.

It's also ratified by two referenda : Northern Ireland 71.12% (turnout 81.14%) in favour and Republic of Ireland 94.39% (turnout: 56.26%) in favour.

I'm increasingly getting the sense that Brexit will just unravel due to "incompatibilities with reality".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Here's the problem with your scenario.

1) We're in October this year and no deal is on the table (remember the extension is tied to the deal as well). Now what happens?
    2) Parliament votes to not accept the deal May has failed to negotiate and demands a new referendum; problem is May does not want a vote (which is not legally binding anyway even if it went ahead) nor is she capable of agreeing one without losing her PM position (which she'll do anything to hold on to no matter what)
    3) May now stalls out for 6 months and voila; Brexit has happened

There is no way to stop Brexit short of a new general election and a new PM being selected which May will never in a million years call again after the last fiasco. The hardcore Brexit wing has 66 seats which is more than enough to vote out any Tory PM who does not pander to them; ergo even if May goes and a new Tory PM is elected the hardcore wing will keep voting them out until they get what they want.

The problem here is very simple; there is a huge difference in what needs to happen to cancel Brexit vs. having a crash out Brexit. To cancel Brexit there needs to be a new UK government with someone who wants to cancel it (i.e. both May and Corbyn are out) in a general election which May would for some reason call. Compared to a brexit crash out which only requires that nothing is agreed for the next 6 months or so (since anything to be ratified has to be ready by October). The second is way easier to achieve esp. with the hardcore group of 66 tories ready to vote down what they don't like along with the 10 DUPs holding the government up as is. Hence due to the balance of power the most likely scenario is a crash out by UK due to incompetence which no one wants and only UK can prevent but will fail to do due to lack of understanding, personal gains and simply outright stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Nody wrote: »
    there is a huge difference in what needs to happen to cancel Brexit vs. having a crash out Brexit.

You are assuming that the Brexiteers and DUP actually want the UK to catch fire and sink into the sea playing Rule Britannia. I don't think so.

May will drive the leave bus right to the edge and when they get a good look over the cliff, she'll call their bluff and accept what is on offer from the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

You are assuming that the Brexiteers and DUP actually want the UK to catch fire and sink into the sea playing Rule Britannia. I don't think so.

May will drive the leave bus right to the edge and when they get a good look over the cliff, she'll call their bluff and accept what is on offer from the EU.

Possibly. The problem is the edge of the cliff may be a lot closer than May thinks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Perhaps the Leave bus has no brakes or has a fault in the steering that forces it to go right, and then further right - right over the cliff.

It is a mad strategy they are pursuing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Seeing how May was the one created the red lines in the first place and multiple Brexiteers (and let's be honest here DUP are the most extreme version that comes of them) would happily do so for personal gains; remember all it takes for a hard crash is that nothing is agreed for 6 months. That is not a lot of time to turn the M/S Titantic around esp. not when you got an incompetent government with a weak leader at the helms. Hence I'm not suggesting that the hard crash will be due to an active attempt to crash out but more so failure by the UK government to get anything in place (because I can't see them ever accepting the current deal due to NI). Remember for every Tory that might want to remain there are plenty of Labour who want out as well to compensate and all that is required is a failure to agree on how to do the new deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Nody wrote: »
    That is not a lot of time to turn the M/S Titantic around esp. not when you got an incompetent government with a weak leader at the helms.

Barnier has already signalled that the Single Market is still open until 2020, all they have to do is change their minds.

What's worrying me is that there's very little evidence of any progress at all.

It's like:

1 UK presents cherry picking list.
    2 EU says no cherry picking!
    3 UK re-spins cherrypicking as 'managed divergence' or something equally ridiculous.
    4 Go to step 1.
    (repeat until you feel queasy or bang your head off the desk.)

All the self referencing and smugness really bothers me aswell. "As I set out in my Florence speech..." , like it was some magnum opus.

There's just very little room for debate it seems, and the UK Gov continue to paint itself into a dark, dreary little corner. Brexit means Brexit.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    All the self referencing and smugness really bothers me aswell. "As I set out in my Florence speech..." , like it was some magnum opus.

There's just very little room for debate it seems, and the UK Gov continue to paint itself into a dark, dreary little corner. Brexit means Brexit.

Well, I suppose it sounds better than if it were her Slough Shopping Centre speech. It does come across as very pompous though.

My view of it is that there's no hope of the Government in the UK doing anything about this. It will either fumble on until there's no deal and a major economic crisis.

It's really up to Westminster to press Ctrl-Alt-Del on Brexit.

You also have to realise that we are looking into the 'Brexit Bubble' from outside. There's no sense of urgency about this in the mainstream of English debate. The comparison I keep seeing is with the mentality of group think that was in Ireland before the financial crisis, where you'd politicians and others making totally uniformed but confident statements about the robustness of the economy and the economic situation.

It's different in the sense this is driven by nationalism and jingoism, but it's the same kind of super-confident, ignore all advice, uniformed, factless statements.

My concern is that there simply isn't going to be any change until that bubble bursts and I think that will happen when you get a run on the economy when it looks like a hard Brexit is inevitable. We are getting to the point that's not beyond the realms of possibility.

ambro25 wrote: »
    They do not have that power or prerogative. That is solely the EU’s.
    That one is allegedly more do-able, but only through the EU sanctioning the requisite fudge. So again the EU owns the balance of power.

May effectively stripped Parliament of powers in relation to Brexit by default, when she deposited the Art.50 notification: from that point forward, the EU was always going to have the advantage no matter what, even if all it did was simply wait out the clock, because Parliament does not have jurisdiction over the TEU and it’s effects.

This is why all the noises about a Parliament vote against a government-negotiated deal restoring the situation to status quo ante (U.K. back in EU by default) weren’t worth entertaining or engaging about, and still aren’t, no matter what journos and politicos may proclaim: a Parliament vote against that deal, means an exit in March 2019 without any deal, ie a hard Brexit, if there is insufficient time to tweak the deal and re-vote.

By October 2018, that is, to ensure it is also voted by all the other democratic representative assemblies in the EU (which thus have, effectively, just as much power as Parliament in that respect) in good time by March 2019.

All the above long-known to longtime thread followers, but worth reiterating as a refresher.

If you listen to people close to parliament that actually know what they’re talking about they’ll tell you that if the deal is voted down by parliament - there is no way that’ll be an automatic no deal, despite whatever the government says before hand. The institute for government did a report on the scenario and interviewed Tory MP Dominic Grieve (a guy who knows what he’s taking about - it was his amendment that secured parliament having a vote on the deal) and he is adamant that the govt is talking complete nonsense on this. Amendments can be made and the govts hands could be forced at multiple stages around October.

I agree that of course the EU hold the balance of power as they’d have to agree to pause article 50 - but if you listen to certain people who have discussions with Barnier and officials in Brussels, they will tell you (Nick Clegg - worked with the EU commission) that it is highly likely the EU would accommodate such a situation.

• Advertisement

What's worrying me is that there's very little evidence of any progress at all.

It's like:

1 UK presents cherry picking list.
    2 EU says no cherry picking!
    3 UK re-spins cherrypicking as 'managed divergence' or something equally ridiculous.
    4 Go to step 1.
    (repeat until you feel queasy or bang your head off the desk.)

Interesting thought on that in The Guardian. May & Co are deliberately putting forward suggestions that they know will be shot down by the EU. This will eventually allow her to tell the cabinet that they have only two options, a soft or hard Brexit as the EU won't countenance anything else. Makes sense when you think how, in the past week, The Telegraph has been floating the idea that a customs union might be inevitable.

To be honest, I think that's just someone desperately trying to find a cunning plan that isn't there and hoping that it really can't be as ridiculous as it looks.

Sadly, there's no real evidence of any strategy from the UK on this.

To be honest, I think that's just someone desperately trying to find a cunning plan that isn't there and hoping that it really can't be as ridiculous as it looks.

No, there's never been a strategy. Not least because Leave was never meant to win. This strategy is damage limitation. It's intended to promote the idea that 'We tried our best but the dastardly EU wouldn't play ball so our hands are tied.'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The strategy to me seems to be trying to find the best way to reconcile the desires of Leave voters with those of the British economy. The problem is that Leave voters didn't actually vote FOR anything, just to leave the EU with no mandate whatsoever for any one set of terms. The result is a government trying to get the best access to the single market possible which will be objectively inferior to the status quo while keeping within the red lines. As if this weren't enough, there's also the border issue in Northern Ireland which is nowhere close to being resolved while the Conservatives continue to achieve nothing tangible.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,771 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So why create the red lines in the 1st place? Surely setting out the stall from the very start on such a basis was asking for trouble?

What other negotiations do people enter with such closed minds, and publicly touting them as well.

Barnier has already signalled that the Single Market is still open until 2020, all they have to do is change their minds.
    But the extended time to 2020 is assuming that they sign the agreement in the first place; if they refuse to sign the existing document on the phase 1 discussion (including the NI remaining in alignment etc. which is the major issue there which they have not agreed to how it is documented today) there is no extension to 2020. Hence the actual deadline is coming up in October for the dotted line to be signed (anything after October is unlikely to be ratified in time); if not it's a hard crash out come March 30th 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://twitter.com/seanwhelanRTE/status/987268183005519872/photo/1

Shipping and ports here are are preparing for Brexit. As the infrastructure comes it will mean less traffic through the UK.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/0420/955953-dublin-port/
    The MV Celine is the world's largest short sea Ro-Ro ship and will transport freight between Dublin and the continent.

The vessel is 235m long and has a capacity of 8km.

Such is the scale of the ship it would not have been able to dock in Dublin prior to the completion of recent expansion works.

He also said Dublin Port will build the necessary custom posts and inspection facilities at the port to allow for customs checks in the event of a hard border.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So why create the red lines in the 1st place? Surely setting out the stall from the very start on such a basis was asking for trouble?

What other negotiations do people enter with such closed minds, and publicly touting them as well.

Of course it is but had Cameron that sort of foresight we wouldn't be in this mess.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

1. It's very striking that the article so openly blends reportage of an exclusive story, and editorial comment on its implications - and that in a page 1 lead. In the good old days a newspaper with pretensions to quality like the Telegraph was careful to distinguish factual news reportage from the opinions of a columnist, or even the opinions of the editor. Mixing them like this is extraordinary.

Absolutely stunning. I was actually shocked scrolling across on press reader when the tone changed to opinion / editorial comment with no forewarning.

The whole Telegraph story has be denied by the EU and by the Irish Gov - fake news.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Absolutely stunning. I was actually shocked scrolling across on press reader when the tone changed to opinion / editorial comment with no forewarning.

The particular journalist that reported the story, Peter Foster, is a bit of an outlier in the Telegraph in the sense that he's slightly more willing to speak his mind.

I listened to the Telegraph's Brexit podcast last week and he was on it. While I wouldn't say he rocked the pro-Brexit boat, he had a less than enthusiastic tone about the whole process and certainly wasn't afraid to criticise the government. He wanted to talk about the insurmountable realities while the others preferred to talk around them so as not to confront the obvious - that Brexit is a load of Bollocks.

But apparently most journalists at Pro-Brexit newspapers don't believe in Brexit. See this from the FT.

A colleague at one big Brexit-supporting newspaper told me “95 per cent” of its journalists oppose Brexit. Another friend puts the figure at his pro-Brexit paper at “80 to 90 per cent”. He tries to switch his mind off Brexit. At least Remoaners like me believe the stuff we write, pointless as it is.

https://www.ft.com/content/2ceb393e-3213-11e8-ac48-10c6fdc22f03?segmentid=acee4131-99c2-09d3-a635-873e61754ec6

James O'Brien, who is a very well connected journalist, backs this up.

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/980008320588185600

The right wing press in Britain is literally a Brexit propaganda machine. There will be investigations in years to come as to how this was allowed to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Brexit is 'The Emperor's New Clothes' manifest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Leroy42 wrote: »

It wasn't setting out their stall that was asking for trouble it was setting out a stall of mutually exclusive issues that was asking for trouble.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not news unless you live in the UK , rinse and repeat.

Why Brussels seems relaxed about the end game
    "Besides which," he added with a glint in his eye, "we know the Brexit drill by now.

"The UK makes a fuss, tells us things are unacceptable - like the financial settlement (the so-called Brexit bill), and like allowing EU citizens the right to stay permanently in the UK, even if they only move there in the transition period after Brexit - but the British Government gives in, in the end. Even if they dress up the fact to make it more acceptable at home."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Sand

By the way, I don’t think there’s any real prospect of the U.K. crashing out. I don’t think parliament will let it happen

There is a very real prospect of the UK crashing out. The UK ruling class is utterly complacent, even now, 5 months to the realistic deadline, with no practical solution to the Irish border. Which they wilfully ignored until 4 months ago.

If they don't find a solution by erasing some of their red lines, there is no deal and there is no transition period to 2021. There is a brutal, sharp Brexit which only the most fanatical and savage ideologues could wish for.

Well, considering that there was a called on LBC suggesting that we either re-join the UK or face a prospect of being compulsorily microchipped, there are definitely a few very hardliners out there...

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obrien-microchipping-irish-border-brexit/

I'm just posting this as a bit of an illustration of the level of incredibly ill-informed debate that's going on in certain circles.

Well, considering that there was a called on LBC suggesting that we either re-join the UK or face a prospect of being compulsorily microchipped, there are definitely a few very hardliners out there...

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obrien-microchipping-irish-border-brexit/

I'm just posting this as a bit of an illustration of the level of incredibly ill-informed debate that's going on in certain circles.
    Edwina Currie was on Newstalk earlier going on about how the border could be solved by registering companies and doing spot checks on the odd white van. And using CCTV and facial recognition of vehicle occupants and stuff.

I've posted before about how gross fuel imports in to NI fell by IIRC 40% because so much was smuggled / laundered. That's an industrial scale that couldn't be done with white vans.

She also went on about being able to sell the magic frictionless border technology elsewhere. See any of my posts about UK IT projects to see how likely I think anything like that will be on-time, on-budget. Here's a clue - we still don't know the terms so the goal posts and specs are still moving.

There's a lot of people , at best , believing each others lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

She's been pushing that line of a soft border, easily managed, with no issues around it for quite some time now on Pat Kenny. That debate gets quite fractious at times.

And there was a guy on News at 1, missed the start so didn't catch who it was, getting very annoyed at the suggestion at a hard border saying if there are customs posts it won't be the British putting them there.

Edit, Bernard Jenkin it was
    https://twitter.com/RTENewsAtOne/status/987300796101484545?s=19

https://twitter.com/bernardjenkin/status/987316849493803008?s=19

Sand wrote: »
    There is a very real prospect of the UK crashing out. The UK ruling class is utterly complacent, even now, 5 months to the realistic deadline, with no practical solution to the Irish border. Which they wilfully ignored until 4 months ago.

If they don't find a solution by erasing some of their red lines, there is no deal and there is no transition period to 2021. There is a brutal, sharp Brexit which only the most fanatical and savage ideologues could wish for.

The government is incompetent but not completely stupid - most would know that no deal would wreck their reputation and career. In other words they are likely to agree to just about anything to avoid it.

Secondly, the point I actually made in my post which you failed to rebut, is that even in the very unlikely event that the government does end up wilfully leading the country into a no deal in March 2019 - Parliament can force the government to take another path.

So in reality, when you actually examine what needs to happen for a no deal in March 2019 to occur - the prospect is remote.
    Hurrache wrote: »
    She's been pushing that line of a soft border, easily managed, with no issues around it for quite some time now on Pat Kenny. That debate gets quite fractious at times.

And there was a guy on News at 1, missed the start so didn't catch who it was, getting very annoyed at the suggestion at a hard border saying if there are customs posts it won't be the British putting them there.

Edit, Bernard Jenkin it was
    https://twitter.com/RTENewsAtOne/status/987300796101484545?s=19

https://twitter.com/bernardjenkin/status/987316849493803008?s=19

If the interviewer knew his stuff - he would have put it to him that the UK would be legally required under WTO rules to apply a hard border if NI were to have different customs arrangements. He would have also have challenged the notion that the US-Canada border is largely frictionless - bull****.

Never invite a Brexiteer on unless you know your stuff - they are very skilful liars and Jenkins took that interviewer to the cleaners there quite frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The Guardian assess the negotiations and conclude that the only logical endgame is the UK remaining in some form of customs union:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/20/guardian-view-brexit-irish-border-alchemy-fails

The Guardian assess the negotiations and conclude that the only logical endgame is the UK remaining in some form of customs union:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/20/guardian-view-brexit-irish-border-alchemy-fails
    The CU is not enough because:
    Article 26(2) gives them the definition of the "internal market" (aka Single Market), which "shall comprise an area without internal frontiers in which the free movement of goods, persons, services and capital is ensured in accordance with the provisions of the Treaties".
    Hence joining a CU is not same as what is contractually required for NI which is a frictionless border; to be part of the Single Market UK has to be part of EU and accept the four freedoms which is why a CU is not enough (Turkey is a CU and that's not frictionless by any imagination). That is why I keep saying that UK will not sign the papers or get an extension and end up with an accidental crash out. And no the parliament will not be able to change that because the Government will not call a new election and between Tory, DUP and Labour brexiteers there is not going to be enough support to magically push through a cancellation of article 50; even if they somehow did the Tories can simply keep stalling long enough (remember those 66 Tory MPs who are all for brexit) to stop it. Now if even that somehow would be overcome by a sudden metric ton of reality checks suddenly happening out of the blue we'd still face the issue that not only would people scream about democracy not followed etc. but the core issue of the decades of lies and the "paradise of free trade and streets of milk and honey without brown people" would still be in play ensuring a new brexit vote would happen and we'd start it all over again.

On a separate note I highly recommend this blog post which clearly goes through how wrong the whole UK press and establishment has got the whole point on the CU etc. and why the likely answer is a crash out at this stage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement