Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread III

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Havockk wrote: »
    Those who engineered this? Well they are going to have a huge problem after this... who to blame?
    I feel sorry for the those who thought voting leave was a vote against the system, instead of being a vote for the those at the top of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KingNerolives

We should have another referendum tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hitachi seeks Japanese partners in building $27bn UK nuclear plant Compare one power plant to the nett UK contribution to EU of £8Bn a year.

I'm sure there's other stuff that Brexit is distracting from. But this is one of the three new nuclear projects the UK will be depending on to keep the lights on in the future.

If there's a no deal Brexit and things go pear shaped the UK won't have the magic money tree to support such white elephants IMHO.

And of course Labour aren't fans of subsidising big foreign companies so none of these projects are politically stable. Pretty much like Brexit really.

Is the gubermint on auto pilot for big projects ? How is HS2 getting on ? Are there any real infrastruture projects outside of the south east ? Or is it all whishful thinking ? What's in it for the regions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Havockk wrote: »
    Those who engineered this? Well they are going to have a huge problem after this... who to blame?

The EU, the remainers, the Irish to name but a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Hitachi seeks Japanese partners in building $27bn UK nuclear plant Compare one power plant to the nett UK contribution to EU of £8Bn a year.

I'm sure there's other stuff that Brexit is distracting from. But this is one of the three new nuclear projects the UK will be depending on to keep the lights on in the future.

If there's a no deal Brexit and things go pear shaped the UK won't have the magic money tree to support such white elephants IMHO.

And of course Labour aren't fans of subsidising big foreign companies so none of these projects are politically stable. Pretty much like Brexit really.

Is the gubermint on auto pilot for big projects ? How is HS2 getting on ? Are there any real infrastruture projects outside of the south east ? Or is it all whishful thinking ? What's in it for the regions.

Is this only relevant for England, Scotland and Wales? As in does the all Ireland energy market cover NI, or is that an oustanding item to be negotiated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-44500778/sinn-fein-leader-brexit-is-a-tory-conceived-vanity

McDonald : Brexit causes a "change to the constitution of NI without consent"...

BBC : "That sounds like a threat".

A threat? It's a fact.
    The media over there seem to be the ones issuing threats ffs!

Incidentally, he seems flabbergasted that there would be a border poll in McDonald's lifetime and then quotes Varadkar to try and give out about the fact that SF want a united Ireland - yet the topic was supposed to be Britain's Brexit mess.

Just shows up another clueless "journalist" , just more smug, who can't deal with a politician who knows what they're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Apparently Barnier and Juncker are in Dublin next Thursday and Friday with press conferences arranged.

Pressure on Britain ahead of the summit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apparently Barnier and Juncker are in Dublin next Thursday and Friday with press conferences arranged.

Pressure on Britain ahead of the summit?

This was scheduled for some time, a few weeks anyway, but it still may have been deliberately timed to happen just before the summit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Strazdas wrote: »
    This was scheduled for some time, a few weeks anyway, but it still may have been deliberately timed to happen just before the summit.

If it's few weeks I highly doubt it's coincidental and surely Barnier would not normally go wherever Juncker goes.

Another Donald Tusk "Ireland first" moment to enrage the Brexiteers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

They seem constantly shocked by the fact that the EU, unlike themselves isn’t just throwing Ireland under a bus. Unlike the UK, the EU does actually grant its members huge powers of veto and treats them with a far greater degree of equality and respect. The UK approach is very much that the UK is England and the other countries aren't taken seriously at all really. That's always been the history of the UK. It's never been a union by consent, but by hostile acquisition and forced integration and that's, sadly, still being reflected in modern politics.

There’s also an inability to comprehend that Ireland is a part of the EU and the Eurozone and the European Commission and other institutions' job and role is to protect the EU and the Eurozone.

The UK is now a politically unstable, rogue, soon to be former member, that not only is leaving but has politicians, closely associated with the government, regularly making threats to Ireland and to Europe.

Not only that but you’ve had regular statements over the years from various political and media sources in the UK not only wishing to leave the EU but actually calling for it to be disbanded or destroyed and you've had calls to do damage to the Irish economy.

That’s beyond smug. It’s openly nasty, bitter, hostile and threatening behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Good performance by Mary Lou McDonald versus a bad BBC interviewer who seemed to want to toe the Brexiteer line. I do like 'Tory conceived vanity' as a good definition of Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

One senior official in Brussels privately wonders if, as we hurtle towards an October crisis, might Theresa May seek a last-minute extension of Article 50?

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/0615/970823-tony-connelly-brexit/

Good summary as always from Tony. There is a lot of talk of an extension recently. Surely this isn't helpful an extension just leads to the clueless being clueless for longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Really good analysis by Tony Conneelly here;

He is always worth a read. See the point that the UK are briefing against us, around EU. So it isn't just JRM and his ilk.
    UK hoping when it comes down to it, that the EU will throw ROI under the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭flatty

The EU will stand foursquare behind Ireland. I have absolutely no doubt about this. None.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Good summary as always from Tony. There is a lot of talk of an extension recently. Surely this isn't helpful an extension just leads to the clueless being clueless for longer.

This quote from the article is spot on:

"We need the UK to accept the consequences of its decisions. I have the impression that for the UK, everything has to change on the EU side, so that everything stays the same for the UK."

"Irish sources say they have been informed via European capitals that British officials have been briefing against Ireland, hoping to diminish support for Ireland’s case."

Can we stop pretending they're our friends now?

In any other country, this would be headline news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭flatty

"Irish sources say they have been informed via European capitals that British officials have been briefing against Ireland, hoping to diminish support for Ireland’s case."

The brexit wing of the tory party is friends with no one, and is as happy to screw over its own less well off compatriots as it is to screw over Ireland, or anyone else. Why would you think any different. I would suggest just bearing in mind that four times the population of the Republic voted to remain despite all of the lies and spin and rule breaking and propaganda. That's an awful lot of people who want to be open, friendly and good European neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭briany

UK Business Insider running a story that the EU now believes Theresa May will accept the softest of Brexits.

Still, the problem remains that Jacob Rees Mogg et al won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

flatty wrote: »
    The EU will stand foursquare behind Ireland. I have absolutely no doubt about this. None.
    i doubt the phone call Brian lenihan got from the EU pre guarantee would back that statement up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Enzokk

briany wrote: »
    UK Business Insider running a story that the EU now believes Theresa May will accept the softest of Brexits.

Still, the problem remains that Jacob Rees Mogg et al won't.

Interesting story. Reads to me more like the EU thinks that the only way the UK can deliver what they have said, i.e. protect the GFA means they will have to settle for a soft Brexit. It doesn't say anything that this has been agreed, only that this seems to be the only path open to the UK as the EU sees it. At the time they triggered article 50 I would have agreed with this view, now I am thinking the UK would gamble with a no-deal Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

From QT and other programs on British tv I get the impression that many of the leavers never considered the Uk as being one of the 28 members. Alsmost like 27 and ‘us’.
    ‘They’ made decisions which affected us, ‘they’ made life hard for us, ‘they’ had too many rules etc etc. and enough of the electorate swallowed the spin thrown at them. The fact that the big sellers - the Sun, the Express, the Daily Mail etc - have been anti EU, gave some voters a reason to vote leave, bendy bananas, Turkey joining the Eu among others,

Maybe my memory isn’t as good as it was but didn’t TM visit Turkey early doors to talk trade deals? A country that was supposedly joining the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Not only that but you’ve had regular statements over the years from various political and media sources in the UK not only wishing to leave the EU but actually calling for it to be disbanded

I have recently spoke to some Leave voters who genuinely think this is what they voted for.
    The 'logic' seems to be that a major country voted for the bloc of 28 to be broken up, therefore that's what should happen. That the remainder seem content to carry on as a bloc of 27 is regarded as being tantamount to cheating and evidence of typical foreigner skullduggery. I found it a novel attitude. Purely anecdotal this, just a handful of (very well off) retirees in a village pub in Surrey.

Edit : A rough quote was 'we voted for everyone to go back to just trading with each other how they wanted, but they (Europe) won't honour that vote'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭trellheim

From QT and other programs on British tv I get the impression that many of the leavers never considered the Uk as being one of the 28 members. Alsmost like 27 and ‘us’.
    ‘They’ made decisions which affected us, ‘they’ made life hard for us, ‘they’ had too many rules etc etc. and enough of the electorate swallowed the spin thrown at them. The fact that the big sellers - the Sun, the Express, the Daily Mail etc - have been anti EU, gave some voters a reason to vote leave, bendy bananas, Turkey joining the Eu among others,

Maybe my memory isn’t as good as it was but didn’t TM visit Turkey early doors to talk trade deals? A country that was supposedly joining the EU?

Sustained campaign since the 70s from the media Mail/Sun/Express against the EU ; this in the absence of a pro-eu media means the bendy banana etc is in the popular psyche ( in saying that I watched an excellent Commons adjournment debate to abolish Foie Gras ( which is protected by the french local foods thing) .

However these chattering classes will be unhappy when their roaming charges go back up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

trellheim wrote: »

However these chattering classes will be unhappy when their roaming charges go back up

Not to mention the EIHC card, and the removal of credit card surcharges, plus the protection of the working hours directive, plus plus plus.

Mind you, they are protected from chlorinated chicken if they stay in the single market. So not all bad.

I have recently spoke to some Leave voters who genuinely think this is what they voted for.
    The 'logic' seems to be that a major country voted for the bloc of 28 to be broken up, therefore that's what should happen. That the remainder seem content to carry on as a bloc of 27 is regarded as being tantamount to cheating and evidence of typical foreigner skullduggery. I found it a novel attitude. Purely anecdotal this, just a handful of (very well off) retirees in a village pub in Surrey.

Those people are lucky they have the cast of Love Island to keep them off the bottom of the Political Insight league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

judeboy101 wrote: »
    i doubt the phone call Brian lenihan got from the EU pre guarantee would back that statement up.
    Lenihan neither got nor made a phone to the EU prior to the bank guarantee :- that particular grotesque stupidity was entirely conceived and implemented by Fianna Fail.

The EU didn't even know about it, and were largely horrified and bemused when it emerged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Edit : A rough quote was 'we voted for everyone to go back to just trading with each other how they wanted, but they (Europe) won't honour that vote'.
    If that's what they really think, that is absolutely hilarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Alan_P wrote: »
    Lenihan neither got nor made a phone to the EU prior to the bank guarantee :- that particular grotesque stupidity was entirely conceived and implemented by Fianna Fail.

The EU didn't even know about it, and were largely horrified and bemused when it emerged.
    Are you really telling me they knew nothing? https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/brian-lenihan-s-family-criticises-trichet-over-phone-call-1.2198516?mode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Enzokk

joeysoap wrote: »

It has been pointed out that the newspapers were there shouting about how the "foreign" EU were making the rules but neglecting to note that the UK was part of the process. But people believing newspapers without some verification will be misled very easily.

The galling thing is how UK politicians in the UK parliament claim EU directives that they had no hand in at all. If you want to see the real reason for Brexit it is this type of behavior that somehow justified the view from The Daily Mail and The Sun.

Theresa May mocked for suggesting Tories to thank for credit card charge ban imposed by EU
    Theresa May has been mocked for claiming credit for an EU policy to protect consumers from rip-off payment card charges.

Retailers, airlines and other businesses have been banned from hitting shoppers with hidden surcharges when they use credit or debit cards – sometimes as high as 20 per cent – which costs consumers around £166m each year.

MEPs criticised the Government for claiming responsibility for the move, which comes as part of a broad range of new payment regulations based on an EU–wide directive that was spearheaded by left-wing politicians in the European Parliament.

The Government must comply with EU directives until Britain leaves the bloc, although these changes will become part of UK law so will remain after Brexit.

The Prime Minister tweeted: "From today we're banning hidden charges for paying with your credit or debit card – a move that will help millions of people avoid rip-off fees when spending their hard-earned money."

Mind you, they are protected from chlorinated chicken if they stay in the single market. So not all bad.

I keep seeing this chlorinated chicken example. It's not so much chlorination that's the problem as that in the U.S. chlorination may be one of the only food safety procedures undertaken on a slaughtered and plucked chicken. So the warning should really be that the UK could get an influx of food that is of a generally lower standard both in terms of animal welfare and processing regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

if they do not, what message will the small nations take from that, as the eu is primarly made up of small nations

if it had not been happening for 800 years it would be headline news, but it has which is why no notice is being taken of it, as it is expected to happen, similar to wet weather

The brexit wing of the tory party is friends with no one, and is as happy to screw over its own less well off compatriots as it is to screw over Ireland, or anyone else. Why would you think any different. I would suggest just bearing in mind that four times the population of the Republic voted to remain despite all of the lies and spin and rule breaking and propaganda. That's an awful lot of people who want to be open, friendly and good European neighbours.
    it also shows that the dupers should take nothing for granted, as if push comes to shove ni will be handed over to the eu, if it means brexit is brexit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Guys can Ireland benefit from the madness to either side of us?

I am thinking make Ireland (well maybe with exception of Dublin due to its housing issues) the place to be for researchers and scientists and engineers by relaxing immigration visas to those with postgraduate academic qualifications and families (hence are not likely to leave and would become long term taxpayers)

While the US and UK are shooting themselves in the foot, maybe we can mop up the best and the brightest to come work in existing companies or start new enterprises with their own capital.

I doubt if Ireland can benefit, but it could be swings and roundabouts. Many of these jobs will come to Dubin and drive up prices where it is not needed, while agribusiness in Donegal could lose out, where economic activity is very much needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Not sure if you guys saw this in ths Sunday Times last week, thought it was brilliant.

joeysoap wrote: »

Yes indeed, this is very noticeable among Brexiteers, always speaking of the EU as 'they' and 'them', no sense that the UK is even one of its members or that everyone in Britain is an EU citizen.

It does suggest extreme ignorance on their part about the structure of the EU. They think it is something akin to the Soviet Union / Warsaw Pact countries 1945-89, with a central Politburo handing down orders to all member states.

They don't seem to be aware that it is an actual union of equals and that the UK helps draw up the very laws that are supposedly 'imposed' on it from Brussels.

Folks we really need to start thinking in terms of absolute worst-case - in some ways thats simple . Borders go up and we deal with it. Easy to say but painful in the extreme.

What I want to discuss right now - and take a moment to think about it - with the talks the way they are - what is the plausible best outcome - what's the best deal Ireland plc could get.

I still have an awful feeling a Euro PM from someone Eu27 small ( like De Rutter from NL did last time ) will come over and tell us how its going to go down.

Sure what use is a veto - the internal politics for Ireland might start to play (more of) a part ( you can see a little of this in today's IT)

Folks we really need to start thinking in terms of absolute worst-case - in some ways thats simple . Borders go up and we deal with it. Easy to say but painful in the extreme.

What I want to discuss right now - and take a moment to think about it - with the talks the way they are - what is the plausible best outcome - what's the best deal Ireland plc could get.

I still have an awful feeling a Euro PM from someone Eu27 small ( like De Rutter from NL did last time ) will come over and tell us how its going to go down.

Sure what use is a veto - the internal politics for Ireland might start to play (more of) a part ( you can see a little of this in today's IT)

Best deal would be the UK being a full member of the EEA (Single Market) and Customs Union. But economists reckon even that would impact on the Irish economy.....nonetheless it is still the best outcome for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Strazdas wrote: »
    Best deal would be the UK being a full member of the EEA (Single Market) and Customs Union. But economists reckon even that would impact on the Irish economy.....nonetheless it is still the best outcome for us.

Best deal is this + additional stuff for NI, notably agriculture but also anything else the EEA doesn't have.
    No existing cross border provision should be removed.

The fact that we're paying for those banking debts is precisely why the EU will do what Ireland wants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I keep seeing this chlorinated chicken example. It's not so much chlorination that's the problem as that in the U.S. chlorination may be one of the only food safety procedures undertaken on a slaughtered and plucked chicken. So the warning should really be that the UK could get an influx of food that is of a generally lower standard both in terms of animal welfare and processing regulations.

Chlorinated chicken is just shorthand for the appalling level of American food production where the lowest price is king and the large corporation benefits while the base supplier gets involved by a chase to the bottom. The EU does not work that way.

The production of beef, chicken, pork, GM cereals, etc are all foods we do not want in Europe.

The US will force these on the UK if they try to negotiate a FTA.

The fact that we're paying for those banking debts is precisely why the EU will do what Ireland wants.

I do not believe this is any leverage at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If the EU abandon Ireland in this, it is curtains for them and they know it. But we are a member too, and we should not ever forget this.

But it won't happen, the uk is doing a self destruct dance anyway. And in their arrogance they will not admit it.

If the EU abandon Ireland in this, it is curtains for them and they know it
    why ? Greece was happily carved up. Theres no evidence I can see for that theory.

My theory - referencing Greece as an example - is that the 4 freedoms must be taken ( and will be enforced by the EU) to be unbreakable ; Hungary and a few other states would be straight on the same train if the UK got an additional opt-out.

BUT - with all sides knowing this - you'd think it would have been sorted by now. As the hangman in Blazing Saddles says when the boss opens the window .. " As you can see Sir, it's utter chaos down here"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

why ? Greece was happily carved up. Theres no evidence I can see for that theory.

My theory - referencing Greece as an example - is that the 4 freedoms must be taken ( and will be enforced by the EU) to be unbreakable ; Hungary and a few other states would be straight on the same train if the UK got an additional opt-out.

BUT - with all sides knowing this - you'd think it would have been sorted by now. As the hangman in Blazing Saddles says when the boss opens the window .. " As you can see Sir, it's utter chaos down here"
    It is obvious to all but the UK politicians apparently...

What if David Cameron had not held the referendum as a whole UK one, but four separate ones in each constituent country, and specified that a majority must be achieved in each in order for the UK to move forward with Brexit?

I think this would have been a shrewd move because it's difficult to argue against this without exposing the idea that the UK is not a union of equals. And while this would still have stoked the flames of regionalism, it would at least been better to have this debate in the aftermath of the vote, where the voting structure gave NI and Scotland more leverage to block Brexit and demonstrate to people the possibly grave implications of Brexit for the UK's integrity.

What if David Cameron had not held the referendum as a whole UK one, but four separate ones in each constituent country, and specified that a majority must be achieved in each in order for the UK to move forward with Brexit?
    Look at how Westminster has "temporiarly" taken back powers from the regions.

How we got here
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-21148282
    The prime minister said he wanted to renegotiate the UK's relationship with the EU and then give people the "simple choice" between staying in under those new terms, or leaving the EU.

The news was welcomed by Eurosceptics who have long campaigned for a vote.

"France and Germany both warned the UK could not "cherry pick" EU membership."
    - 23 January 2013 , So much has changed since, ... actually nothings changed on the EU side.

"I believe in confronting this issue - shaping it, leading the debate. Not simply hoping a difficult situation will go away." - and look how that went , :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The Greek bailout was an entirely different scenario and has very little in common with the situation Ireland faces now.
    • Greece broke EU and ECB budgetary rules, lied about it and refused to implement reforms without a gun to their head
    • In regards to Brexit Ireland has done nothing but be the most stalwart EU supporter, has toed the line and indeed led the EU in many respects
    • Greek interests and EU/ECB were extemely divergent, Greece wanted to keep spending other peoples money, EU/ECB wanted to ensure they paid for themselves.
    • In stark contrast Ireland's and the EU's interests are almost perfectly aligned, they both want the UK to A) Be part of the SM/CU B) Fullfill all their outstanding obligations C) Not to get any special privileges
    • The EU/ECB wanted to make an example out of Greece in order to presuade all other members that the rules must be followed in order to ensure lasting stability of the EU/Eurozone
    • The EU want to make an example out of the UK and the folly of leaving the EU and to set a counterexample of Ireland who will demonstrate the benefits of being an EU member
    Why would the EU sell us out? They would only be selling out themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/absolutely-no-one-is-happy-what-did-or-didnt-go-down-in-a-week-of-brexit/

Interesting if not exactly a shocking article, essentially no wing of the Tory party is happy atm.

On Labour, they had a festival to celebrate the Messiah Yesterday, it was a bit of a mess selling tickets, but to be fair reading reports, plenty seemed to like it and even right wing journos got into the spirit of things so no harm done.:)

And heck I can't sneer I once spent money on Puddle of Mudd tickets:(

However one story that is doing the rounds from the guardian which seems to symbolise a serious issue with the party, the powers in charge seem intent on shutting down those who have less favourable opinions on Brexit.

From all accounts called Tories etc, because obviously The Tories support base are hugely keen on fighting Brexit.:rolleyes:

Outside I met a few young representatives of For our Future’s Sake who were planning a “friendly protest” against the party’s refusal to have a proper debate on Brexit policy. They were planning to unfurl a pro-Remain banner when Corbyn took the stage, though they feared their banner might be confiscated by Momentum heavies.

When – after an introductory DJ set that included Prince’s I Wanna Be Your Lover – the leader appeared, the banner was raised, and the Remain group and their banner were quickly ushered out. This allowed the leader of the opposition to enthuse a by-now significantly larger crowd of the converted with impassioned pledges to renationalise “rail, mail and water”, build a million council homes and to “support everybody”, while fans chorused his “Ooh! Jeremy Corbyn” theme tune. Like any headliner worth his salt, he knows to stick to the hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think this would have been a shrewd move because it's difficult to argue against this without exposing the idea that the UK is not a union of equals. And while this would still have stoked the flames of regionalism, it would at least been better to have this debate in the aftermath of the vote, where the voting structure gave NI and Scotland more leverage to block Brexit and demonstrate to people the possibly grave implications of Brexit for the UK's integrity.
    When the Bill for holding the referendum was before Parliament, there was discussion of whether there should be a requirement for a qualified majority - a majority overall, plus a majority in at least three of the constituent parts of the UK, or a majority including at least 40% of the electorate (so the referendum couldn't be decided by a narrow margin on a low turnout) - that kind of thing. There is precedent for this in referendums that the UK has held before, e.g. the Scottish devolution referendum of 1979.

But the governnment's position was that this wasn't necessary, since the outcome of the referendum would not be legally binding. If the government didn't think that the referendum result reflected a sufficient national consensus, it could decide not to act on it.

In advance of the referendum actually being held, the Tories committed to "respect" the result, which the honours students will note is not quite the same thing as a commitment to implement the result.

However, since the referendum result, the Tories have been hijacked by ultra-Brexiters who assert that the referendum results reflects an immutable "Will of the People™", that their interpretation of the result represents dogma before which all must bow, and that any suggestion of consulting the people or thelr elected represntatives further must be resisted, since it represents an opportunity for the people to betray the Will of the People™.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement