Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mickmac76 wrote: »
    If we end up with a hard border in Ireland due to Brexit would the EU be willing to or required to help us pay for some of the costs of additional border posts between us and the North? After all we got rid of them due to the single market and couldn't foresee ever needing them again and they will be required to protect the integrity of the EU single market if the UK crashes out without a deal. Also could EU funds be requested to improve our ports if additional checking is required for goods coming from or going to the UK?
    I would say yes to all these but hopefully we will need none of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

First Up wrote: »
    Le Havre is further east than Cherbourg.

I actually meant Brest. Half asleep.

There are very good possibilities of connecting onwards from Breton ports either by rail or road and if the business is there EU Brexit divorce funds could help get some facilities in at both ends.

We need to be looking at alternatives to going through the UK. Even from an environmental point of view, it might reduce CO2 emissions if done right.

murphaph wrote: »
    I would say yes to all these but hopefully we will need none of them.

Yes they most likely would - it falls under Frontex’s remit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The lovely bit for the UK is that they simply don't have enough land for existing queues. White cliffs of Dover and all that.

https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/customer-service/dover-dunkirk/dover-travel-disruptionAnd when that's full - If junction 8 to junction 11 reaches capacity, Highways England will use Manston airfield to park Port of Dover freight.

Same in Wales except the volume of traffic is now much higher than the last time there were controls. And land ain't cheap in Dublin Port (it's all artificial) or Dun Laoghaire.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-41497922

For stuff that's not time critical there's this
    https://afloat.ie/port-news/dublin-port/item/37536-world-s-largest-ro-ro-ferry-to-be-introduced-on-dublin-routes-linking-mainland-europe

But for time critical stuff like fresh food shipping via the UK is the preferred route, unless the ports get log jammed ,in which case everyone looses as the product isn't worth as much.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/cargo-food-production-producers-brexit-burns-irelands-british-bridge-to-eu-markets/
    kiwisfromdublin_for_GIF_export_2B.gif

One of the advantages of missing out the UK is the total absence of any customs checks (and therefor delay).

If the difference of say Athlone to Paris was 10 hrs by going the direct sea route, it would be tolerable. Add the other advantage of not requiring a driver to go from Holyhead to Dover, or not even having a driver on board the vessel at all, the the additional cost would be minimal. Sean can deliver the truck to Rosslare and Pierre can pick it up, having dropped off the return load onto the ferry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

If I was a pro Brexiter British national , I'd be glad to have all those transient Irish truxks and traffic off my British roads . Leading to less congestion and pollution , so this could be a small win for Brexit !

• Advertisement

Bear in mind this is two way traffic.

A lot of Irish and multinational retailers are looking at options to integrate into the continental supply chains. So billions of Euro worth of European goods may replace billions of euro of UK originated goods.

Both Irish exporters and European exporters need this infrastructure.

Also bear in mind that creating havoc for Irish trucks in the UK would be creating havoc for EU trucks and the EU would likely respond in kind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Interesting. Looks like subsidising the North might be politically acceptable down here now. Interesting times. The DUP should be paying attention because offloading NI saves the UK govt billions and lots of hassle.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/12/28/poll-records-another-jump-in-support-for-irish-unity/
    Respondents were asked the following question;

If it cost the Irish government €9 billion per annum for Northern Ireland to unite with the Republic of Ireland, how would you vote in relation to a referendum on a United Ireland?

In favour-60% (+10% since March)

Against-40% (-10% since March)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Interesting. Looks like subsidising the North might be politically acceptable down here now. Interesting times. The DUP should be paying attention because offloading NI saves the UK govt billions and lots of hassle.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/12/28/poll-records-another-jump-in-support-for-irish-unity/

It saves the UK more than the net cost of the EU. Will the Tories start a NIexit now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The Express are reporting it as "the end of the UK". I'd be surprised if this doesn't lead to increased support in the North for a United Ireland.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/politics/897526/brexit-irish-border-poll-united-ireland/amp

Well The Express does love to stir the pot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

flaneur wrote: »
    Well The Express does love to stir the pot.

Less of the one-liners please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭embraer170

But for time critical stuff like fresh food shipping via the UK is the preferred route, unless the ports get log jammed ,in which case everyone looses as the product isn't worth as much.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/cargo-food-production-producers-brexit-burns-irelands-british-bridge-to-eu-markets/
    kiwisfromdublin_for_GIF_export_2B.gif

Truck drivers get their rest hours while on the ferry to France. That reduces the difference a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The Express are reporting it as "the end of the UK". I'd be surprised if this doesn't lead to increased support in the North for a United Ireland.

I just love the Excess. Lookup ‘Brexit latest’ and check out those headlines (usually in capitals) BRILLIANT, SLAMS, SOARS, GRABS, etc etc when headlining articles on Brexit,IDS, JRM, among others (Davis, Fox)

Priceless, but then they are preaching to the converted .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Bigus wrote: »
    If I was a pro Brexiter British national , I'd be glad to have all those transient Irish truxks and traffic off my British roads . Leading to less congestion and pollution , so this could be a small win for Brexit !

I think this might be the first tangible Brexit benefit that has been posited in over 22,000 posts.

Congratulations Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Just tinkered around with Google maps and it gives just over 13 hrs from Dublin port to Paris by car.

Using https://sea-distances.org/ to calculate times from Rosslare to Cherbourg and google maps on to Paris it returns 12hrs by sea at 25 knots and another 3hrs 45 mins by road to Paris.

So approx 13 hours by the through-Britain route and 16 hours avoiding it. I'm not sure if the cost of the ferry would be offset by the cost of driving through Britain but I don't believe it would be overly disruptive to route away from there.

The less dependent on Britain we become the better for our economic security anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,745 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

mickmac76 wrote: »
    If we end up with a hard border in Ireland due to Brexit would the EU be willing to or required to help us pay for some of the costs of additional border posts between us and the North? After all we got rid of them due to the single market and couldn't foresee ever needing them again and they will be required to protect the integrity of the EU single market if the UK crashes out without a deal. Also could EU funds be requested to improve our ports if additional checking is required for goods coming from or going to the UK?
    This is not really relevant. If there is a hard border in Ireland, the cost of providing the customs posts will be a tiny, tiny part of the total economic cost to this country in terms of trade disruption and trade barriers. And that’s before we reckon with the political impact of undermining the Good Friday Agreement, and the downstream economic costs of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think this might be the first tangible Brexit benefit that has been posited in over 22,000 posts.

Congratulations Sir.

Less traffic and blue passports. Those are the two new benefits that Brexit will bring as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well yes, but that could have been solved in the same way as we do in Switzerland, put the trucks on the train. At my local train station you can often sees rows of Irish trucks shoot by on trains bound for Italy! The trains are equipped with sleepers and a restaurant - as at least one driver is required to travel with each truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Enzokk wrote: »
    Less traffic and blue passports. Those are the two new benefits that Brexit will bring as far as I can see.

I've been stuck in British traffic , and mark my words,any reduction would be a considerable win , for the locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Bigus wrote:
    I've been stuck in British traffic , and mark my words,any reduction would be a considerable win , for the locals.

I don't know how uplifting it would be to realise there's less traffic on the road because the economy has tanked.

• Advertisement

I don't know how uplifting it would be to realise there's less traffic on the road because the economy has tanked.
    This. The reduction in traffic because Irish/Continental goods are no longer being transhipped via the UK will be modest compared to the reduction in trucks on the road carrying British goods to the Continent, or Continental goods to British consumers, if the British choose a hard border.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This. The reduction in traffic because Irish/Continental goods are no longer being transhipped via the UK will be modest compared to the reduction in trucks on the road carrying British goods to the Continent, or Continental goods to British consumers, if the British choose a hard border.

Well, following the Red White and Blue Brexit promised by TM, the trucks that used to deliver car parts to the various foreign owned car assembly factories and now do not, will be a welcome reduction in traffic for the locals. Particularly for those workers that used to work at those assembly plants, and now have nothing to do but watch the traffic.

Sometimes wishes tend to backfire - 'Be careful what you wish for' - Old Chinese saying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Enzokk wrote: »
    What has Brexit got to do with blue passports ?

They didn't even have to change the colour in the first place.

Less traffic means less taxes, excise and tolls collected so that's not a win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Yeah. In the recession a few years ago I was never delayed on the m50 when I was going to work. I don't think we'd ask for the recession back to improve traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Fair enough, but I don't see how traffic is the fault of the EU though. Did the EU legislate that there will be less spending on infrastructure to cause more traffic? I class that problem the same as NHS spending and overcrowding. Sure the influx of people from the EU cause there to be a strain on services (more people will cause that to happen), but the underlying problem is that the UK government made decisions that caused a lot of those problems.

What has Brexit got to do with blue passports ?

They didn't even have to change the colour in the first place.

Apparently a lot looking at how prominent Brexiteers welcomed the news of a return to the blue passports. We know now the colour was a choice and the had control of that decision from the start. I think that will become apparent that there was control all along, it was a choice of successive governments not to exercise that control because it was for the greater good ("the greater good").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

LOL , but it's already covered by the CTA.

Unlike the fishing rights.
    https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/belgium-says-1666-royal-charter-grants-fishermen-eternal-rights-english-waters/
    Officials from Flanders, the northern, Dutch-speaking half of Belgium, have unearthed a 350-year-old royal charter giving 50 fishermen from Bruges eternal access to English waters. King Charles II signed the “privilege” on October 2, 1666.

Meanwhile, May now rivals Putin and Trump for net unpopularity here:

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2017/12/irish-citizens-view.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Lord Adonis quits as Theresa May's infrastructure tsar over Brexit.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/29/lord-adonis-quits-as-theresa-may-infrastructure-tsar-over-brexit

Strong words in his resignation letter to PMTM, though he rarely holds back anyway.
    The European Union withdrawal bill is the worst legislation of my lifetime. It arrives soon in the House of Lords and I feel duty bound to oppose it relentlessly from the Labour benches.
    Brexit is a populist and nationalist spasm worthy of Donald Trump. After the narrow referendum vote, a form of associate membership of the EU might have been attempted without rupturing Britain’s key trading and political alliances. Instead, by allying with Ukip and the Tory hard right to wrench Britain out of the key economic and political institutions of modern Europe, you are pursuing a course fraught with danger.
    A responsible government would be leading the British people to stay in Europe while also tackling, with massive vigour, the social and economic problems within Britain which contributed to the Brexit vote. Unfortunately, your policy is the reverse.
    The government is hurtling towards the EU’s emergency exit with no credible plan for the future of British trade and European co-operation, all the while ignoring – beyond soundbites and inadequate programmes – the crises of housing, education, the NHS, and social and regional inequality which are undermining the fabric of our nation and feeding a populist surge.

• Advertisement

160k Irish passports issued to UK residents in 2017 - equally split between NI and GB:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/irish-passport-applications-by-uk-citizens-surge-36444527.html

No surprises on the Blue passport, allow extra travel time.

Blue passports could send UK citizens to back of queue, EU officials say
    The EU travel information and authorisation system (Etias) is modeled on the US Esta scheme and could require British travellers to Europe to register in advance and make a small administrative payment.

Turns out the UK was issuing blue passports all along.

https://twitter.com/Ned_Donovan/status/943972220421984258/photo/1

Looks like I was wrong about Sir Nick :o
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42504660

Melvyn Bragg gets recognition too
    but so do a lot of riff-raff
    author Jilly Cooper and TV chef Rick Stein become CBEs
    Strictly judge Darcey Bussell made a dame,
    Eamonn Holmes,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Less of the one liners please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Turns out the UK was issuing blue passports all along.

https://twitter.com/Ned_Donovan/status/943972220421984258/photo/1
    Strictly speaking, not passports. Passports are issued to citizens. These are travel documents issued to non-citizen refugees who, of course, not being British Citizens are also not EU citizens, which is why they don't follow the EU standard design - no claret colour, no reference to the EU on the cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Sidey

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, not passports.  Passports are issued to citizens.  These are travel documents issued to non-citizen refugees who, of course, not being British Citizens are also not EU citizens, which is why they don't follow the EU standard design - no claret colour, no reference to the EU on the cover.
    Yeah but at the same time the colour etc are guidelines, not requirements. Croatia has always retained its blue passport, and the other 27 EU member states use a variety of shades of burgundy, they are not all identical.

My dog has a nice blue EU pet passport courtesy of the UK government....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It will not be recognized after BREXIT though, yet another thing to be negotiated....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Pet passports are a lovely example of the UK coming up with an idea (for its own benefit), doing all the development work and field testing, to create a final product so perfectly fit-for-purpose that the EU adopted it lock, stock and barrel.

The '90s - such good times! :D

Jim2007 wrote: »

It will not be recognized after BREXIT though, yet another thing to be negotiated....
    Don't worry, we aim to have her home and naturalised with a nice Irish one pre the big red date.

• Advertisement

Listening to the news on the radio this lunch time and apparently asylum applications across the EU are down 50% on last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Flaneur closed her account :(
    Was a good contributor here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

J Mysterio wrote:
    Flaneur closed her account Was a good contributor here.

Gees, hate seeing any decent contributors move on.
    Hopefully, may return with new username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭flatty

murphaph wrote: »
    Listening to the news on the radio this lunch time and apparently asylum applications across the EU are down 50% on last year.
    Well that's surely obvious?
    Last year there was a full scale migration

flatty wrote: »
    Well that's surely obvious?
    Last year there was a full scale migration
    Exactly. A particularly sensitive year to hold the referendum in, and which was clearly exceptional.

Low quality post deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Interesting story in the Guardian.

The East Coast rail service is not relevant to this discussion (but interesting from a UK politics/can Grayling do anything right/seriously, how useless is Grayling perspective), but I do find Adonis' claim that the civil servants do not support the government's position to be very interesting, should it actually prove to be true.

I this is the bit that scares me the most about what I am seeing, in relation to Brexit. Generally one would expect ministers to use the experience and expertise within the civil service to help them make decisions and shape policy, but here we are seeing an unwillingness to acknowledge any expertise, either within the various government departments, or without.

I was a remainer, and I am still a remainer, but I simply don't see how TM can make a success of Brexit (assuming that a success can be made of it, which I doubt), as she promises to do, if she refuses to listen to anyone that actually knows anything about anything.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Is HS2 still on the cards ?

Like Brexit the cost is continually going up and the benefits are hard to justify , optimistically £48Bn to get to Birmingham or up to £111Bn overall, and only expected to make £34Bn revenue over the next 60 years. Where is the rest of the money going ? And who benefits ?

It would be far cheaper to subsidise the internets so people could telecommute instead, and everyone would benefit. Not just executives.

CBA looking up the alternative plans where most of the cost could be saved if they went for a slightly slower setup which would have most of the benefits. It would be like staying in the EU and using their existing rights. BTW thanks to Sterling tanking they'll save a good bit on their future contributions. So there's that.

Love this Viz top tip
    BVH38_QCAAI-xxL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I notice a lot of stuff we import from the UK is downsized now. Ie packs of batteries (purchased new for Christmas use) used to contain 6 - now 5, Tartare sauce that I opened last week is in much smaller jars and there’s lots more like this

Are we paying a price for sterling devaluing and manufacturers in UK downsizing to avoid price increases ?

Shouldn’t we see a decrease in prices of UK products or are we paying a price for Brexit too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

joeysoap wrote: »
    I notice a lot of stuff we import from the UK is downsized now. Ie packs of batteries (purchased new for Christmas use) used to contain 6 - now 5, Tartare sauce that I opened last week is in much smaller jars and there’s lots more like this

Are we paying a price for sterling devaluing and manufacturers in UK downsizing to avoid price increases ?

Shouldn’t we see a decrease in prices of UK products or are we paying a price for Brexit too?

Don't get me started on 200g bags of Doritos now 180g but same price.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement