Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a loan as heading to Australia to work on WHV

• 05-12-2017 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm heading to Australia in February, on a working holiday visa. I am a civil engineer and hope to either secure work before I go or else have interviews set up.

I need a loan to see me through the first few months, I am currently a social welfare recipient and bank with AIB with no savings,

Would I be eligible for a loan of around 5,000€?
    Or what would be the best way to go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

On social welfare and plan on leaving the country. Doubt they'll entertain any amount of loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Possibly a loan with someone else able to guarantee it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Homer

Ask parents or friends.. No lending institutions will entertain you for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

lineker wrote: »
    I'm heading to Australia in February, on a working holiday visa. I am a civil engineer and hope to either secure work before I go or else have interviews set up.

I need a loan to see me through the first few months, I am currently a social welfare recipient and bank with AIB with no savings,

Would I be eligible for a loan of around 5,000€?
    Or what would be the best way to go about it?

Not going to happen, best bet is the credit union with some history of savings. Also just so your aware Australia isn't a gravy train anymore, ive head a lot of friends move over while i lived there, a lot with engineering degrees and struggled to find work related to the degree unless they'd significant work experience. Maybe concentrate on building a history with the credit union and actively applying for work over there.

Also depending on where you are heading February can be a relatively tough time for work. Good luck as it's a great experience but make sure you've done your research

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,015 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bank of Mam and Dad is the best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Is it not a condition of the WHV that you have to have 5k in savings in your account? It's a long time since I did mine, but I know I had to show my bank statements at immigration showing that I had the funds.

Starting a new life on the other side of the planet, 5k in debt is not ideal. Normally you’d go with 5k in the green, and come back 5K in the red if things don’t go according to plan. But going 5k in the red is not advisable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What's to stop you not coming back, and never paying it off?

Advertisement