Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dispute resolution

Options
  • 05-12-2017 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

I wish to dispute a two day ban i received today from ancapailldorcha in Politics.
    Everything I have to say on this is covered in PMs between myself and the moderator which I am happy for you to access.

Regards

Charlie14

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi Charlie14, thanks for confirming that you've attempted to resolve this via PM. I'll ask a Cmod to have a look into it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Toots wrote: »
    Hi Charlie14, thanks for confirming that you've attempted to resolve this via PM. I'll ask a Cmod to have a look into it for you.

Cheers Toots.

Thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to be clear, we cannot access any PMs, but you are free to post in this thread any exchanges with the mod that are relevant to your appeal. Alternatively you can forward them to the CMod once they post here confirming they will be looking at your appeal

Beasty wrote: »
    Just to be clear, we cannot access any PMs, but you are free to post in this thread any exchanges with the mod that are relevant to your appeal. Alternatively you can forward them to the CMod once they post here confirming they will be looking at your appeal

Thanks for that Beasty.
    I thought by giving my permission the PMs regarding this dispute could be posted here.

When the category moderator confirms I will forward them to him/her.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'll take this charlie14.

If you could forward me on the pm's and your version of events as well, that would be great.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    I'll take this charlie14.

If you could forward me on the pm's and your version of events as well, that would be great.

Thanks for taking the time Neyite.

As I`ve said earlier, it was my intention to simply forward pm`s between myself and ancapailldorcha which I felt explained my position, but for whatever reason they have apparently disappeared.
    As have the two posts in question, mine and lawred2`s.

Basically on the Brexit discussion thread I posted that I didn`t feel in light of what blew up over these negotiations involving the DUP, it was wise for Coveney Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade to state his views on a united Ireland the week prior.
    Lawred2 replied with something along the lines that unification would solve the problem and added a smiley face emoticon.
    I viewed this post as being intended as wry humour, and as such replied with three such emoticons in recognition.

Some time later I noticed I had received a ban and thinking it was somehow for the post in relation to Coveney, contacted ancapailldorcha as to what was the problem with that post, to be told it was for the emoticons as politics was more or less a serious subject with no place for such emoticons.
    I replied along the lines that in politics there are times, (such as the breakdown in the Brexit negotiations with the DUP intervention and seeing the type of insanity that ensued),a sense of humour was required.
    As in more or less, if you didn`t laugh you would feel like crying.

That was it as far as I`m concerned and here the two of us are.

It may seem frivolous and a waste of your time to now be dealing with a ban now lifted, but I felt it was completely OTT banning someone for using emoticons, (which are thread tools after all), for an appreciation of what was obviously meant by lawred2 as wry humour and which, as far as I could see, no other poster had any problem with.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ok, just in case you may not know, your pm's are split between inbox and sent so you need to select 'sent' from the drop down list to view your responses. You may be able to see all the pm's that way. If not, I can ask the mods to forward on theirs and I can review it then.

I can still view the deleted posts so I've seen yours and the one that you responded to.

I take it the ban has expired rather than being lifted, and you'd like to overturn the expired ban from your record?

Ok, just in case you may not know, your pm's are split between inbox and sent so you need to select 'sent' from the drop down list to view your responses. You may be able to see all the pm's that way. If not, I can ask the mods to forward on theirs and I can review it then.

I can still view the deleted posts so I've seen yours and the one that you responded to.

I take it the ban has expired rather than being lifted, and you'd like to overturn the expired ban from your record?

Thanks Neyite, found them and have forwarded.
    Apologies. Not as proficient at this as I should be. Bit of an age thing I`m afraid.

Yeah the ban has expired but I would like it overturned and gone from my record.

Charlie, I've taken a look at the situation.

The Politics forum is for serious discussion only whereas it's cousin, Politics Café allows for a bit more freedom in it's posts. Your post and the one it responded to would have been more suited to there.

Whether or not you agree with the rules, they are there for everyone to abide by and in addition the posters themselves come to the forum specifically for serious political discussion. The charter states:
    High standards of debate and quality posts / threads are required. Repeated one liner, low quality style posts will result in a ban. Threads (and posts) that are not based on serious and legitimate Political discussion will be deleted without warning. For the lighter side of Politics we have the Politics Café here. Naturally some posts will be humorous by nature but if they start dragging threads off topic, they maybe deleted.

It was not about adding a bit of humour to the forum that got you the ban
    it was specifically that you replied soley in emojis - which isn't meeting the criteria of the charter outlined above. I imagine if you had replied with something witty and also meeting a high standard of debate or discussion the addition of an emoji may not have been as big an issue.

The mods are willing to give everyone a fair chance, and very often overturn a warning or a ban from posters who acknowledge that they erroneously overstepped the mark and undertake not to do it again, but when it's repeated breaches of charter then they will apply and maintain the appropriate sanction. In this case, you had two prior breaches at the end of November and this was the third in 9 days.

Unfortunately as a result, I'll be upholding the ban.

Have you considered requesting access to the new Politics Café? I think that if you want to add some witty banter to political chat then it may be a better fit for you.

Charlie, I've taken a look at the situation.

The Politics forum is for serious discussion only whereas it's cousin, Politics Café allows for a bit more freedom in it's posts. Your post and the one it responded to would have been more suited to there.

Whether or not you agree with the rules, they are there for everyone to abide by and in addition the posters themselves come to the forum specifically for serious political discussion. The charter states:

It was not about adding a bit of humour to the forum that got you the ban
    it was specifically that you replied soley in emojis - which isn't meeting the criteria of the charter outlined above. I imagine if you had replied with something witty and also meeting a high standard of debate or discussion the addition of an emoji may not have been as big an issue.

The mods are willing to give everyone a fair chance, and very often overturn a warning or a ban from posters who acknowledge that they erroneously overstepped the mark and undertake not to do it again, but when it's repeated breaches of charter then they will apply and maintain the appropriate sanction. In this case, you had two prior breaches at the end of November and this was the third in 9 days.

Unfortunately as a result, I'll be upholding the ban.

Have you considered requesting access to the new Politics Café? I think that if you want to add some witty banter to political chat then it may be a better fit for you.

Not particularly surprised tbh, and do not see why I should have been expected to acknowledge erroneously or otherwise that I overstepped the mark for using a thread tool.
    A thread tool I may add that I did not use "to add some witty banter to political chat", but to express that I felt lawred2`s post was witty.
    Perhaps for such so serious discussion as the politics forum it would be an idea to remove these tools.

As to the warnings you mention.
    One of which I thought about appealing, but seeing as it concerned a poster that the world and it`s mother knows is a re-reg, but are expected to ignore on moderators instructions, I didn`t see much point.

I get your point though on avoiding the politics forum.
    But not for so much that it is a forum for serious political discuss.
    Moreso that I feel it is full of political party hacks that would argue black is white if their party said so.

Anyway, thank you for your time.

Regards.

Charlie14

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement