Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I add compost from my compost bin to my house plants?

Options
  • 05-12-2017 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Can I add compost from my garden compost bin (has no base so plenty of creatures in it) to my house plants? Could I sieve the soil?

Alternatively if I got a tumbler compost bin (sealed) - could I add that compost to my house plants?

Or what soil type bag should I add to my house plants? I have a succulent, 4 cacti and an unknown (has long stem with narrow green leaves).

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

No reason why not by you might end up with some big fat worms in with the houseplants after a while.

iirc there is a way of sterilizing small amounts of compost in a microwave oven which would be ideal for the small amounts you need and avoid bringing in any critter eggs in. One of many pages the google found me on the subject http://pioneerthinking.com/use-your-microwave-oven-to-sterilize-soil-for-your-garden-plants-or-houseplants .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Worztron

my3cents wrote: »
    No reason why not by you might end up with some big fat worms in with the houseplants after a while.

iirc there is a way of sterilizing small amounts of compost in a microwave oven which would be ideal for the small amounts you need and avoid bringing in any critter eggs in. One of many pages the google found me on the subject http://pioneerthinking.com/use-your-microwave-oven-to-sterilize-soil-for-your-garden-plants-or-houseplants .

Hi my3cents.

I don't fancy microwaving soil. I guess pathogens could be a real issue alright. I may just buy a bag of plant soil/compost from a garden center.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi my3cents.

I don't fancy microwaving soil. I guess pathogens could be a real issue alright. I may just buy a bag of plant soil/compost from a garden center.

My experience has been random seeds more so than pathogens meaning your pots need regular weeding. The compost I generate also tends to be pretty coarse, so more suited to the outside planters, shrubs and trees. Edit: Don't know about a tumbler, but I've also got a worm farm for food waste which produces very rich compost but also a bit smelly so again better for use outdoors.

What would happen if I added some grass cuttings and cut up green leaves to my house plants soil? That is - put it on the surface. Would watering over time wash down nutrients and enrich the pots soil?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

What would happen if I added some grass cuttings and cut up green leaves to my house plants soil? That is - put it on the surface. Would watering over time wash down nutrients and enrich the pots soil?

My experience composting grass is that one of two things happen when you don't mix it with other coarser stuff. If it is wet and in the colder months it goes slimey and needs to be mixed with other coarser material anyway. If it is dry, it heats up and eventually turns to a white powdery stuff which I'd guess is some class of fungus. In days gone by this was commonly used in large gardens as a heat source for green houses and hot beds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I wouldn't be an expert, but judging from the houseplants you have (mainly succulents), I would think that compost from your garden is going to retain way too much moisture and end up harming them in some way. Succulents - and I've learned this to my cost - need a very high draining soil. Even the specific succulent soil you can buy in shops, some people would suggest mixing it further to get even better drainage on it.

I see you asked for a recommendation on a soil bag: there are loads of succulent type mixes that you can buy in shops. You can use this as a base and mix with other material to make the soil drain even better (I haven't done this yet, so can't give you any tips). You mention 'adding' soil to your plants. Are you repotting?

Achasanai wrote: »
    I wouldn't be an expert, but judging from the houseplants you have (mainly succulents), I would think that compost from your garden is going to retain way too much moisture and end up harming them in some way. Succulents - and I've learned this to my cost - need a very high draining soil. Even the specific succulent soil you can buy in shops, some people would suggest mixing it further to get even better drainage on it.

I see you asked for a recommendation on a soil bag: there are loads of succulent type mixes that you can buy in shops. You can use this as a base and mix with other material to make the soil drain even better (I haven't done this yet, so can't give you any tips). You mention 'adding' soil to your plants. Are you repotting?

Hi Achasanai. Sorry for the late reply. Cheers for the tips. No, I'm not re-potting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Hi Achasanai. Sorry for the late reply. Cheers for the tips. No, I'm not re-potting.

Adding compost would be for plants that need those kinds of nutrients. Succulents & cacti - in my opinion - will suffer were you to add nutrients indiscriminately. The soil will retain too much moisture and succulents often thrive on nutrient-poor soil.

I'd suggest looking at re-potting the plants you have in specific succulent soil (you can get a small bag for a fiver in most hardware stores). If you're really worried about nutrients, get a succulent-specific nutrient bottle that you can add on occasion.

Advertisement