Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecommerce Site

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

The likes of well known self hosted products are constantly being attacked. Need constant updating. Need constant attention.

To someone who isn't technical or doesn't care to take the time to get all of this sorted regularly, hosted products are a total win. Let someone else deal with the pain of maintaining security and upgrades.

I have one Wordpress site. It's a pain to keep up to date. I pay someone else to keep it updated and secure. I just don't have the time. I'll be moving this to a bespoke system soon. We only use about 2% of Wordpress features.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Let's be honest here watching some YouTube videos, buying a theme, installing woocommerce is not the hardest thing in the world to do. It ain't coding.

Hosting
    Domain Names
    DNS
    FTP
    Backups
    Themes
    Plugins
    Ongoing support/maintenance
    Security

None of the above is particularly onerous for anyone that knows what they're doing. For anyone unfamiliar, why would they put themselves through the pain to 'save' a tenner a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Graham wrote: »
    Hosting
    Domain Names
    DNS
    FTP
    Backups
    Themes
    Plugins
    Ongoing support/maintenance
    Security

None of the above is particularly onerous for anyone that knows what they're doing. For anyone unfamiliar, why would they put themselves through the pain to 'save' a tenner a week.

You gave me your usual WordPress sales speech didn't you lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

leadersway wrote: »
    A single product with three different flavours only. So far I've been quoted 1500 plus vat for it.

Shopify.
    There is a chance that for 1500 plus vat you'll get the same solution that people offering as cheaper alternative to Shopify. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 leadersway

Thanks for this.
    At the moment I've moved away from the 1500 plus vat quote. I've been playing around on shopify but I am looking out for someone to help me set up on it. I am working on the content for the site presently. I'll put this into a folder and get the help I need to get me started. Ideally I am trying to get someone local to sit down with me and start me off. I've been on a site guru.com and have heard from lots of people who will set me up for between 50 and 200 usd . If I was to go with someone like this what are people's views. Ie I presume I send them my content and they set up the shopify site before handing it back to me new out of the box. Is that how this works? Thanks again.
    Shopify.
    There is a chance that for 1500 plus vat you'll get the same solution that people offering as cheaper alternative to Shopify. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

If you'll go that way - don't forget to change password when work completed.
    But I'm not sure that you need to spend 50-200 on shopify setup. They offering free trial - check it over a weekend. It's not that complicated after all.

leadersway wrote: »
    Thanks for this.
    At the moment I've moved away from the 1500 plus vat quote. I've been playing around on shopify but I am looking out for someone to help me set up on it. I am working on the content for the site presently. I'll put this into a folder and get the help I need to get me started. Ideally I am trying to get someone local to sit down with me and start me off. I've been on a site guru.com and have heard from lots of people who will set me up for between 50 and 200 usd . If I was to go with someone like this what are people's views. Ie I presume I send them my content and they set up the shopify site before handing it back to me new out of the box. Is that how this works? Thanks again.

I doubt you'll be pleased with the results. Do some back-of-a-beermat calculations on how many hours this budget will buy you. Even if you're lucky and get a talented kid working for a low wage in a less developed country (a big if), you won't get a lot of hours. If you're paying a pro from a western country, you'll get very little time indeed - nowhere near enough to get the shop set up properly.

IMO, you would be better off setting up what you can yourself, learn the platform. Then pay for very specific help on defined tangible issues that you can't solve yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 leadersway

Hi all. Managed to launch my shopify site yesterday. Total cost = hard work and graft. Thanks to everyone for their advice. Moving forward am going to spend my budget on marketing and learning all about it. Thanks again. Shopify converted!

Advertisement