Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting out in spring..early.or late?

Options
  • 05-12-2017 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I have loads of stuff in pots, mostly perennials that are from divisions. They are all ready to go out in a bed next spring, but just womdering when is a good time? I have heard arguments for early; get them rooted and growing into the ground faster, or later;keep them out of the ground till frost is gone. (The pots are all outdoors anyway so I don't see much point in this). Slugs may be a problem for small young plants...
    What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

I have read that the effect of frost on plants is worst when the cold can get at the roots so having them outside in pots can be worse for them than having them outside in the soil. If they are in pots put them somewhere in the sun for as much of the day as possible and somewhere protected from cold winds is also advisable. For planting out I would consider the conditions where they are going to be planted. If it is part of the garden with a lot of shade or exposed to cold easterly or northerly winds it might be worth waiting until later in the spring. In general though I think its worth waiting until the plant is big enough to survive or be unpalatable for slugs and snails but this depends on the type of plant. I'd keep an eye on the weather forecast to see when some heavy rain is forecast and try to get planting out done before this so the rain can help the plants settle into their new home. In general I would not worry about the frost as we can get frost as late as May some years. When we are set to get heavy rain from the south and west there is usually no frost for a couple of days so that's when I do my planting out regardless of the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

macraignil wrote: »
    I have read that the effect of frost on plants is worst when the cold can get at the roots so having them outside in pots can be worse for them than having them outside in the soil. If they are in pots put them somewhere in the sun for as much of the day as possible and somewhere protected from cold winds is also advisable. For planting out I would consider the conditions where they are going to be planted. If it is part of the garden with a lot of shade or exposed to cold easterly or northerly winds it might be worth waiting until later in the spring. In general though I think its worth waiting until the plant is big enough to survive or be unpalatable for slugs and snails but this depends on the type of plant. I'd keep an eye on the weather forecast to see when some heavy rain is forecast and try to get planting out done before this so the rain can help the plants settle into their new home. In general I would not worry about the frost as we can get frost as late as May some years. When we are set to get heavy rain from the south and west there is usually no frost for a couple of days so that's when I do my planting out regardless of the time of year.

That is good advice, thanks.

Advertisement