Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housemates who lliterally live in their rooms

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Consider yourself very lucky.

I'm beginning to, to be honest.

THat or you and Pat live together.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ahhh, you're married! That explains ****ing everything!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I've always been one of those 'lives in her room' types. I'm an introvert and I suffer from anxiety. I need a LOT of alone time. That said, I will happily talk to someone for five mins in the kitchen if I pass them, but I'm not going to sit down and watch tv with them. In my last house, there were 5 lads, 2 of whom were students, and we just existed on different planes. There was absolutely no overlap in our perception of reality whatsoever. So when I bumped into them in the kitchen, five minutes was five minutes of excruciating awkward hell for me. So i just avoided them all as much as possible. Unfortunately one of them lived in the living room, he was one of those who was NEVER in his room. That living room was the barest, most threadbare, dull environment, with a beat up couch and dirt on most surfaces, and he just sat on the couch with the tv off, on his phone. Ugh. Was so glad to get out of there.

The housemates before that were great - one was also an anxious introvert so we saw each other maybe once a week and had a great chat for an hour or so and then went about our business for the rest of the week. She was a great girl. The fella was nice too, very different from me but there was overlap so we had some nice chats, and the three of us had a few nice evenings of drinks or games too. But at the same time, we all valued our privacy and we all wanted nothing more than to come home, eat some dinner, say hello, and disappear into our rooms (or go out somewhere) after that. It was great.

I do think it depends. Those two nice housemates were quiet enough and reserved enough that it brought me out of my shell because I knew I was never going to be in a situation I didn't feel able to leave, we were all able to say 'I'm gonna go chill in my room now'.

Now fortunately I live with my partner and he is also an introvert so we have plenty of alone time as well as couch-and-movie time :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've only shared in one place, for a little over two years.
    Lived with a friend + a stranger. She, from the start, just went to her room. I was trying to be social and stuff and started life out in the living room. He was a serious tv watcher though and I'm more of a tv is background noise while I'm online playing games/learning stuff. So after about 6 months I just started going to my room as I was back studying part time anyway so needed the quiet.

We didn't talk when watching tv anyway. He'd sit there watching tv and if I spoke to him I'd just feel like I was annoying him to be honest. All he did, literally, was watch tv. Was always kinda unwelcoming (was his house)

Now live on my own. And only go to my room to sleep. Sleep much better these days.

Awful unhealthy to spend all your time in your room IMO but as someone who has shared, I know exactly why people do it. I only ever went to main room if I knew he wasn't around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

TBH I've always found the territorial lives-in-the-sitting-room types far more annoying in house shares. People who seem to think they're entitled to claim ownership of shared spaces and who never vacate the house and give you a moment's peace.

I've lived with a fair few of those and that would single-handedly drive me to my room in its own right. Because when I come in from a 12 hour day I'd like to relax and unwind, not feel like a guest in my own home and be forced to watch some shyte on TV if I venture into the living room because my flatmate does nothing else but prance around the house like she's the only person living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

The great house I shared had no tv. It was brilliant. The other girl was a masters student and she was sometimes in the kitchen working on her laptop, or the fella would be cooking for a while in the kitchen, and that was it really. They both did annoying things, like he would leave a bit pot of food on the stove top until the following day (or a third day), and neither of them ever cleaned the house, but they were still the easiest housemates I've had by far. Plus, I loved that house like a home, so was happy to clean it. I still miss it. If I'd had the money I would have tried to buy it off the owners.

Advertisement