Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Technician vs Engineer

Options
  • 05-12-2017 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Been researching courses in AIT and found that in the career opportunities section for the B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering its says that graduates of this courses are qualified Engineering Technicians. There is also a course, B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering & Renewable Energy which seems to qualify graduates as engineers (consultant, associate, energy engineers etc) as opposed to technicians. Both courses seem almost identical with the only difference in modules being in 3rd Year. Do you think the renewable energy would be more beneficial?

I have a good idea of differences but could any of you who may be better informed than myself tell me the difference between Engineers and Engineering Technicians?

Ps: Apologises for starting a new thread for this as I already have a thread posted here quite recently but I'm just trying to get as much info before making a big decision to return to college.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Diploma or as it is known ordinary degree(level 7) and cert (level 6) qualify you as engineering technician. I have level 7 electronic Beng from AIT. I'm working as a FSE with many years of experience in medical and electronics etc.

Level 8 would have opened more doors in medical device as an engineer. They are strict and want a copy of your qualifications for your employee file.

Experience is vital with any qualifications. I know friends who got on well with level 7 but if ywant an engineering post level 8 is better for progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Da.kid

noel100 wrote: »
    Diploma or as it is known ordinary degree(level 7) and cert (level 6) qualify you as engineering technician. I have level 7 electronic Beng from AIT. I'm working as a FSE with many years of experience in medical and electronics etc.

Level 8 would have opened more doors in medical device as an engineer. They are strict and want a copy of your qualifications for your employee file.

Experience is vital with any qualifications. I know friends who got on well with level 7 but if ywant an engineering post level 8 is better for progression.

Cheers Noel. I’m leaning towards the mech eng & renewable energy degree just to have the renewable side but if I was to the level 8 add on I think I’d focus on the polymer side as that industry seems to be crying out for skilled engineers. I’m 25 now but will be 26 when I start, the reason I wanted to do a 3 year degree was to graduate at 29 as opposed to starting out at 30. Its a small difference I know but that’s my thinking!

How did you find engineering in athlone ? I’ve heard nothing but good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

I did electronic engineering at the age 28 and did a cert then went on to do a diploma. Great course and can't praise it enough. I would liked to have done level 8 but Year 4&5 would have been software engineering so finished in 2001 with a diploma. Software wasn't my thing.
    I haven't looked back. If you have level 8 will allow you to progress in to a senior position in medical area with experience. But I'm happy at the level I'm at as it is hand's on. Hardest part of obtaining the degree is getting a chance to get the experience when finished.
    Companies like intel are great to work for but you will never gain the experience required for the qualification aquired. If you work for a small medical or polymer company you will gain relevant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Unless you have a passion for a particular speciality, I'd recommend going for as general a degree as you can. The job market changes all the time, but core valuable skills don't, so I'd focus on the latter.

Advertisement