Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Sports Direct products fake?

Options
  • 06-12-2017 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi

I'm trying to find a pair of last seasons Skechers for someone for Christmas and the only place where I can find them in the colour she wants is Sports Direct online.

I've heard that some of Sports Direct's products are fake. Any truth? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're not fake.

End of line or seconds are both entirely possible; as are products manufactured solely for them to different standards to the main version brands.

You get fake branded sportswear on market stalls; not a £3bn a year company.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TheFitnessLife

L1011 wrote: »
    They're not fake.

End of line or seconds are both entirely possible; as are products manufactured solely for them to different standards to the main version brands.

You get fake branded sportswear on market stalls; not a £3bn a year company.
    I get ya. Now I am buying these cos the person in question has a problem with their feet and this Skechers make is the only type of runners she can get comfort in. So if they are made differently, they may not be suitable.They are the same price as other shops its just Sports Direct is the only place that has the preferred colour which makes me think they should be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Not fake. Have ordered loads from them, never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

As the above have said not fake, the quality of their own brands Karrimor etc are not the highest but you get what you pay for. Now if you want fake stuff have a look on the buy and sell pages on FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alex D

I would not recommend to anyone, try to avoid, was disappointed, I received some bad quality products, probably because they saw my foreign name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Not fake, but what people mix up is that they buy bankrupt brands and then just use the brand name.
    TK Maxx do similar except TK Maxx invent their own brand names with fancy tag lines like "savill row" to fool people thinking its quality.

Examples of sports direct brands are Dunlop, Slazenger, Firetrap, Everlast, Kangol Karrimor and others

Many used to be premium products, now they are cheap tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Alex D wrote: »
    I would not recommend to anyone, try to avoid, was disappointed, I received some bad quality products, probably because they saw my foreign name.

No, that's the quality everyone gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

TK Maxx Levi jeans always say seconds on them. A lot of their stuff comes from abroad too. USA/Canada.

As for Sports Direct, some of their Nike, Adidas etc would be exclusive to them. Genuine items, but made to order for Sports Direct.

Currys/PC world is the same with some HP laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Savecoronabeer

Sorry to hijack. Are they still delivering?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Darc19 wrote: »
    Not fake, but what people mix up is that they buy bankrupt brands and then just use the brand name.
    TK Maxx do similar except TK Maxx invent their own brand names with fancy tag lines like "savill row" to fool people thinking its quality.

Examples of sports direct brands are Dunlop, Slazenger, Firetrap, Everlast, Kangol Karrimor and others

Would not agree entirely with that, I have been buying Karrimor Antibes men's sandals off them and Everlast t shirts off them for years and they outlast most of the expensive "branded" names. The OH finds some of the casual and sports wear far better quality than the usual suspects she likes to spend a lot of money on.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

They are, I ordered a couple of things on Sunday and they arrived this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sammy_Jankis

Yes. Bought a lot of stuff last week. No weights being shipped to Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Firetrap used to make such nice clothes, then in what seemed like overnight they turned into Penneys quality and Guineys style with a brand name on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Yes, bought last week, arrived this week, satisfied customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Savecoronabeer

They are, I ordered a couple of things on Sunday and they arrived this morning

Excellent cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Some TK Maxx products maybe. There is a lot of tat there. I've bought some very nice Ted Baker shirts from there. Very good quality, just like buying direct from Ted Baker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Some TK Maxx products maybe. There is a lot of tat there. I've bought some very nice Ted Baker shirts from there. Very good quality, just like buying direct from Ted Baker.

Yep, they have genuine brands and if you know your stuff you can get value. But over 50% of their products are own brand.

There was a channel 4 documentary about it too and how they try and skew the customer into thinking that they are getting a discount

Read this and you won't believe tk Maxx "savings" again

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/c4-dispatches-unwraps-concerns-about-pricing-and-labelling-tk-maxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They do 'own' a lot of the brands they sell.
    They acquired once famous brand names and use that name to try to fool people into thinking they are buying something of quality when its not.

Similar to how you see TVs with names like Hitachi, Philips, Sharp, JVC, Sanyo etc in Argos and the likes. These TVs aren't made by those companies. They have sold the right to have their name used on cheap, generic products.

But of course they do sell Nike, Adidas, Under Armour etc as well, as that stuff isn't fake.

Advertisement