Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile broadband - where can I see my used roaming allowance?

Options
  • 06-12-2017 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I checked the website (and myeir app on my phone) and I can not find where I can see my used or unused roaming allowance. It is important for me to have that information because I do not like to go over the limit.

My device does not support sending or receiving text messages, so even if there was a text service, it would not be an option.

I am talking about roaming allowance for mobile broadband 50GB.

On my eir, I found the following:

With data spend alerts switched on, you’ll receive a free text should your data roaming spend reach charges of €48, and again at €60.

That is a lot before one gets a warning. A more customer friendly way would be to switch roaming off when the allowance is reached and have the customer to decide if he wants more. However, my preferred option would be to have control over my usage and, for that reason, know my used or unused allowance at all times.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

annoyance wrote: »
    I checked the website (and myeir app on my phone) and I can not find where I can see my used or unused roaming allowance. It is important for me to have that information because I do not like to go over the limit.

My device does not support sending or receiving text messages, so even if there was a text service, it would not be an option.

I am talking about roaming allowance for mobile broadband 50GB.

On my eir, I found the following:

With data spend alerts switched on, you’ll receive a free text should your data roaming spend reach charges of €48, and again at €60.

That is a lot before one gets a warning. A more customer friendly way would be to switch roaming off when the allowance is reached and have the customer to decide if he wants more. However, my preferred option would be to have control over my usage and, for that reason, know my used or unused allowance at all times.
    Hi annoyance,

Thanks for getting in touch. Can you type 192.168.1.1 into your address bar, if this doesn't work can you type 192.268.8.1 into it, please?

From there, you should be able to text 'balance data' to 50104 and your balance should appear on your screen.

- Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 annoyance

Hi Adam,

thanks. Unfortunately, text messages only work with the Huawei device (I use my own).

My device does not support texting. Why I use my own device: the eir mast is quite a distance away and I need something little better than the usual mifi device to get a bar or two of 4G.

My understanding of having a personal login would be to 1) see the balances and 2) buy addons, change contract, pay bills etc. Can I use my phone to send and receive the texts for my mobile broadband balance? The phone and the mobile broadband is registered on the same my eir account. However, I can see the balance on my eir but I can not see the roaming balance. That is, what I am interested in. (unless, the balance starts showing as soon as I start using it) Would I see my roaming balance by texting 50104? That might be (not a desirable) work-around for my problem to use the mifi when I am roaming.

Thanks,

annoyance (I hope, I am not ;)

Hi Adam,

thanks. Unfortunately, text messages only work with the Huawei device (I use my own).

My device does not support texting. Why I use my own device: the eir mast is quite a distance away and I need something little better than the usual mifi device to get a bar or two of 4G.

My understanding of having a personal login would be to 1) see the balances and 2) buy addons, change contract, pay bills etc. Can I use my phone to send and receive the texts for my mobile broadband balance? The phone and the mobile broadband is registered on the same my eir account. However, I can see the balance on my eir but I can not see the roaming balance. That is, what I am interested in. (unless, the balance starts showing as soon as I start using it) Would I see my roaming balance by texting 50104? That might be (not a desirable) work-around for my problem to use the mifi when I am roaming.

Thanks,

annoyance (I hope, I am not ;)
    You should be able to send a text message from your computer when you do this to 50104. Can you try this and let me know if you experience issues with it please?

It's no problem at all :)

- Adam

Hi Adam,

I used my phone and, as expected, I got the balance for my phone, not for all of my devices. Of course, I can use the web texting on my eir website from my mobile broadband account but who would be getting the reply? The only device associated with that broadband number is my router which is not capable of receiving text messages. When I say "not capable of receiving text messages", it does not mean that I have not found that option. My device does not support texting unfortunately and I am trying to find the solution for myself.

By the way, I just tried the web text of my eir and it does not work for the number "50104". Those numbers do not seem to be supported. What is next?

Why can't I see everything on the "my eir" website? Wouldn't it make sense to give the customers the control over their contract and usage?

Thanks,

a

From my eir:
    Data Spend Abroad
    Keep track of your data spend while roaming

If you switch these off, you won’t receive the initial text at €48 but will receive a text if you hit charges of €60. We’ll also ask you if you wish to continue data roaming.
    Don’t worry, when you're roaming, your phone won’t connect to your email, browser or apps until you’ve selected the roaming option that best suits your usage needs.

That is not good enough. The 2nd sentence "Keep track of your data spend while roaming" is exactly what I would like to do - keeping track. Getting text messages when there already are high extra charges, is not what I would be calling "keeping track".

Again, why is the roaming allowance of the mobile broadband not displayed on "my eir" and why is the used/unused allowance not displayed on "my eir" either? Funnily, this information seems to be available for the phone, NOT for the mobile broadband. Why?

• Advertisement

Hi Adam,

I used my phone and, as expected, I got the balance for my phone, not for all of my devices. Of course, I can use the web texting on my eir website from my mobile broadband account but who would be getting the reply? The only device associated with that broadband number is my router which is not capable of receiving text messages. When I say "not capable of receiving text messages", it does not mean that I have not found that option. My device does not support texting unfortunately and I am trying to find the solution for myself.

By the way, I just tried the web text of my eir and it does not work for the number "50104". Those numbers do not seem to be supported. What is next?

Why can't I see everything on the "my eir" website? Wouldn't it make sense to give the customers the control over their contract and usage?

Thanks,

a
    I completely understand that your router can not receive text messages. However, it has a SIM and an associated number. So, if you follow the instructions I have outlined to you, you'll be able to see your balance on the screen as, when you log in, you can send a text message from the dashboard on 192.168.1.1. This will then display your balance on the screen if the device you're using. 

- Adam

When typing 192.168.1.1 into the browser's address bar, the browser response I get is:
    This site can’t be reached
    I feel a bit lost.

Again, why doesn't eir want to display the information on "my eir"?

When typing 192.168.1.1 into the browser's address bar, the browser response I get is:
    This site can’t be reached
    I feel a bit lost.

Again, why doesn't eir want to display the information on "my eir"?
    Can you try the other code that I have provided you with if this isn't working please?

I'm afraid I can't advise on why you can't view this as these decisions are made internally.

- Adam

The other option gives me the following:
    Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.
    I think, those internet addresses connect to the router, rather than the SIM. I do not think I am getting anywhere entering different local network addresses into my browser's address bar. I can address my device by typing https://192.168.56.1 into the address bar. But as I said, there is no texting option. I know what you mean. Your network address is pointing to the mifi device's user interface and after logging in with admin/admin, you can access everything. Unfortunately, this is not the case with my device. Does that mean there is no way to find out about my used roaming allowance? As an eir representative, could you not request a change of "my eir" to eir? I am sure, you have easier access to the right person within the company than any customer.

At https://www.eir.ie/mobile/broadband/bill-pay/ you can "Select with Device" or you can chose "Select with SIM Only". My understanding is, that one can use one's own device. But that seems to mean that one can not see any used or unused allowance because "my eir" does not display it. I just wanted to point out the problem of customers going for the SIM only option and using their own device.

I am not blaming you as an eir representative, you tried wonderfully hard ;). Would you be able to put in a request for me to whoever makes such decisions what is displayed on "my eir" and what not? Or can I contact somebody who can make decisions about this?

Would it be possible to advance my case to the next level and get somebody to contact me?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

eir: Adam wrote: »
    .............. text 'balance data' to 50104 and your balance should appear on your screen.

- Adam
    PAYG 50GB MBB user here.

I SMSed 'balance data' to 50104  and got  a reply of the total bundle data not yet unused.   

How do I find out how much roaming data is not yet used ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

How do I find out how much roaming data is not yet used ?
    'Balance roam' to 50104

Advertisement