Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a possible travel partner

Options
  • 06-12-2017 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi tbh kinda sick of my life and it passing me by without doing anything so thinking of traveling for a bit in the new year I have always wanted to drive route 66 but unfortunately for me got no friends so just seen if anyone would be interested can do route 66 and then if going well can travel around more not sure just a idea at the moment and guess want to c if anyone would be interested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

How about signing up to help out with something like the Route 66 Challenge for Temple Street?

Don't have to be a motorcyclist AFAIK as you can go pillion or as part of the support team

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... if only you'd have asked me about 10yrs ago, before marriage and kids!!

I'd have been your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Irishgamer666

fdevine wrote: »
    How about signing up to help out with something like the Route 66 Challenge for Temple Street?

Don't have to be a motorcyclist AFAIK as you can go pillion or as part of the support team

Thanks might look into that but was kinda thinking going earlier in the year but if I can't that will definitely be for me thanks again

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... if only you'd have asked me about 10yrs ago, before marriage and kids!!

I'd have been your man.

Hahaha ya no wife or kids here but still kinda worried might have left it too late

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you don't get someone here or someone you know to go with you, would you do a tour group? It's not the same as driving it yourself but might be a good compromise to do Route 66 with a tour group instead of never doing it?

i'm sure lots of companies do it, the only tour company I've used before is Topdeck and I really enjoyed my trip (that was in Eastern Europe).

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    If you don't get someone here or someone you know to go with you, would you do a tour group? It's not the same as driving it yourself but might be a good compromise to do Route 66 with a tour group instead of never doing it?

i'm sure lots of companies do it, the only tour company I've used before is Topdeck and I really enjoyed my trip (that was in Eastern Europe).

Honestly never thought of that more set on doing it with one or two people as gives more freedom but the group might be a good backup thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

G Adventures are well known for doing excellent group tours and have a really good selection.

You might something on there that suits you:

https://www.gadventures.com/search/?q=route+66&ref=navsearch

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    G Adventures are well known for doing excellent group tours and have a really good selection.

You might something on there that suits you:

https://www.gadventures.com/search/?q=route+66&ref=navsearch

Thanks I'll have a look into it thanks for the replies everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

a good few years ago i got my travel buddy on travbuddy.com, try that

mel123 wrote: »
    a good few years ago i got my travel buddy on travbuddy.com, try that

Thanks I'll give that a try as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

Why not go and do it anyway, with or without a travel partner? I'm doing New York and Washington this summer coming on my own :)

I actually want to do what you're doing as well OP, but I'm already booked this year! I was going to go by train though, but driving could be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Gimme a pm, could be interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Hi op

I got a taste of rte 66 when travelling from Tulsa to Oklahoma city. I followed a guide to see the famous stops and few were worth talking about. You'll be driving on a modern road that goes through plenty of normal-looking towns. There are a few signs saying "opportunity to drive on original route 66" and they're just unmaintained tracks with nothing on them, like local roads in Ireland.
    I took the interstate back to Tulsa.

I've no doubt other sections of the road cater better to tourists. But from the taste i got, i wouldn't be in a hurry to drive the full length of it especially given the cost of fuel and car hire (v expensive one-way).

Not rubbishing your plans btw. It just doesn't sound too interesting to me

You kind of are rubbishing his plans...he came on looking for a travel partner, for somewhere he's already decided to visit.
    Hardly any need to reply purely to say that his choice of destination isn't to your taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    You kind of are rubbishing his plans...he came on looking for a travel partner, for somewhere he's already decided to visit.
    Hardly any need to reply purely to say that his choice of destination isn't to your taste.

God forbid someone discusses stuff on a discussion forum!

Tenigate wrote: »
    God forbid someone discusses stuff on a discussion forum!

If the question were 'any feedback on Route 66?' Then I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at your post.
    But he specifically said he's always wanted to go so is asking for a travel buddy.

You came on only to post a negative reply, giving no contribution at all with regards to the question asked.

Anyway, let's not take the thread away from what it's about.
    I just didn't like your post, I thought it was unecessary and a bit mean.

OP, any luck with the group websites etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

I wanted to travel across the states myself for ages but didnt really fancy the driving so i started off in D.C.
    Then flew to Chicago before taking the train to San Fran stopping off in Reno for a weekend.Best thing i ever did as there was no fear of getting lost when driving,Relatively cheap and i was by no means lonely on the train.You're seated with strangers for dinner and i met some really nice people who were just dying to meet the "Irish guy".
    Have a look into it.
    I cant recommend it highly enough.
    I'm actually looking into doing it again this summer only going from west to east.

Advertisement