Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag list / Engineers report before signing contract

Options
  • 06-12-2017 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Good morning all,
    Just looking for some advice on closing a house buy. Myself and Mrs squatman have gone sale agreed on a home, contracts came the other day, and we are wondering when should we ask for actions to be completed from our engineers report. There isn't much on the list, but probably 5k in total. Should we furnish the estate agent with the engineers report, or findings from the engineers report, and ask what the seller would be willing to sort? or should we furnish the seller with details and ask that all items be sorted?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Squatman wrote: »
    Good morning all,
    Just looking for some advice on closing a house buy. Myself and Mrs squatman have gone sale agreed on a home, contracts came the other day, and we are wondering when should we ask for actions to be completed from our engineers report. There isn't much on the list, but probably 5k in total. Should we furnish the estate agent with the engineers report, or findings from the engineers report, and ask what the seller would be willing to sort? or should we furnish the seller with details and ask that all items be sorted?

Thanks guys

(If not a new build)I would think that the sale agreed price is exactly that. In an ideal world you should get a survey before agreeing a price. At this stage id say you will be met with a take it or leave it response. Might be worth a try but you risk losing the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what kind of things are on your list

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Unless there is something serious like subsidence that would mean you would consider walking away, then I would suck it up. With the market the way it is at the moment, they may put it back on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Assuming then that this is not a new house? If not then you will have to suck it up, the engineers report is a list of repairs (those both necessary and desirable) for you to carry out on a house once purchased, the vendor would never expect to be asked to carry out these works.

The engineers report ensures you are going into the purchase with your eyes wide open.

If it's a new house, then certainly i would be expecting the developer selling the property to complete any snags advised off.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sulli

we have gone sale agreed on a second hand house, got the engineers report back which had nothing serious but would require work over the years and got a reduction of 3k on the sale agreed price....better than a kick in the face!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

jsd1004 wrote: »
    (If not a new build)I would think that the sale agreed price is exactly that. In an ideal world you should get a survey before agreeing a price. At this stage id say you will be met with a take it or leave it response. Might be worth a try but you risk losing the purchase.

I have never seen a vendor agree to a survey before sale agreed stage. They have no need to in this market.

Depends how much you want the house op. By asking for money off etc you risk losing it . If it's within the greater Dublin area they may just re list and probably get more today than they did when you went sale agreed. For the sake of 5k I'd suck it up but it entirely depends on your situation. Can you afford the 5k and how fast do you need to be out of your current accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

I have never seen a vendor agree to a survey before sale agreed stage. They have no need to in this market.

Depends how much you want the house op. By asking for money off etc you risk losing it . If it's within the greater Dublin area they may just re list and probably get more today than they did when you went sale agreed. For the sake of 5k I'd suck it up but it entirely depends on your situation. Can you afford the 5k and how fast do you need to be out of your current accommodation?

Why not? I have sold houses and it would indicate to me a serious buyer and would bring any issues prior to a sale agreed stage. On the buying side if i am viewing a house I will always bring an engineer at viewing stage for an informal look around if I am seriously interested and if something concerns me.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Once your bid is accepted and deposit paid you are sale agreed, then you should get bank valuation and surveyors report. This lets you know at an early stage if there are any issues, if there are you need to decide what you are willing to accept or what you would ask the vendor to repair before the contracts are provided.

If the vendor is to commit to paying for some works this fee will normally be taken from the asking price so you get the builders in yourself, in turn the risk of any "shoddy work issues" is removed from the vendor.

When the above has been agreed/disagreed you have a final figure and the contracts can be drawn up.

If you already have contracts you have really missed the window for such requests, now this could lead to delays and the vendor may pull out and probably get more as highlighted above.

Again on here is everyones opinion and you really need to weigh up the risk/benefit involved for yourself. A previous purchase fell apart for us when our survey deemed the roof was "not structurally sound" and the vendor had a certificate from his builder stating it was. On our current purchase (vendor signing contracts this week) we dismissed issues amounting to several thousand as we feel its really a home for life.

Best of luck whatever you do....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Without knowing what items are on the list we are all guessing.
    If it’s stuff like new boiler, rewire, replumb, insulate the attic etc then it’s a no go. You buy as is.

It’s like buying a second hand car, you know it’s not as safe as newer versions so you retrospectively ask the owner to upgrade items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

hi all, thanks for the responses.
    I suppose to name a few- windows are leaking, between panes
    Roof edge concrete has eroded
    boiler has brought down the BER substantially, however, i wouldnt expect that to be replaced, but it is overdue a service.

after that then its only minor stuff.

And for all you dubliners commenting, there are houses selling outside the pale too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

They all sound like issues that are yours to address once you take possession of the house.
    When I bought my house I had to dismantle the previous owners hunting dog compound in the garden. It was horrible.

Effects wrote: »
    They all sound like issues that are yours to address once you take possession of the house.
    When I bought my house I had to dismantle the previous owners hunting dog compound in the garden. It was horrible.

no, i disagree, they are all issues that are mine to address when i sign the contract :)
    Anyways, thanks to all for the help so far

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

hi all, thanks for the responses.
    I suppose to name a few- windows are leaking, between panes
    Roof edge concrete has eroded
    boiler has brought down the BER substantially, however, i wouldnt expect that to be replaced, but it is overdue a service.

after that then its only minor stuff.

And for all you dubliners commenting, there are houses selling outside the pale too :D

Can't see that costing 5 grand. Double Glazing panes can be replaced. A boiler service is a couple of hundred at the most. And a few roof tiles?

I'm moving at the moment and have similar issues to address, but my offer was based on the fact that I would expect such things would need to be done eventually.

Best of luck with the house.

nothing in isolation is espensive, but its probably around 15 different items.
    theres 1-2 days work in the roof, the panes can even be resealed, but ideally it would be at the sellers expense, rather than the buyers. I will keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Good thing you're buying in a part of the country people don't want to live in!

personally I think that any offer would want to be twice the cost of these repairs higher than the house is worth before I as a seller would entertain any expectation on my to upgrade things for a buyer

personally I think that any offer would want to be twice the cost of these repairs higher than the house is worth before I as a seller would entertain any expectation on my to upgrade things for a buyer

Or would you risk losing a sale for 300k for a 1-2k? And further risk selling for a.lower pricr in 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

If the survey has brought up things which wouldn't be evident to a layman upon viewing the house, they're fair game for renegotiation following the survey in my opinion. To go back to the car analogy, it's like agreeing informally to buy a car for 5k, then having a mechanic looking at it and telling you it needs a part of the suspension replacing and then going back to the seller and reducing your offer by the cost of replacing the part.
    You could even submit a copy of the report to the seller to show you're not trying to pull a fast one.
    If you're going down this route for minor items you risk the seller simply going to the next bidder.

I'm confused by what happens here.
    if I was buying a house I would look at , think about it , look again after a few days, make sure I can afford it etc, then get a survey done , get estimates for work to be carried out if needed (major things) then bid , negotiate etc

why are you bidding then trying to lower your bid later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Or would you risk losing a sale for 300k for a 1-2k? And further risk selling for a.lower pricr in 6 months!

I'd ask the same question to you, are you willing to risk losing the house over 1 or 2k? It's a sellers market, there is little risk of prices going any lower in the next 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Just ask for the reduction. They might say no or they might say yes. You can decide then what you want to do.

It is very unlikely the seller will just cancel the sale.

Brego888 wrote: »
    I'd ask the same question to you, are you willing to risk losing the house over 1 or 2k? It's a sellers market, there is little risk of prices going any lower in the next 6 months.

in short yes. and its not a sellers market everywhere

I'm confused by what happens here.
    if I was buying a house I would look at , think about it , look again after a few days, make sure I can afford it etc, then get a survey done , get estimates for work to be carried out if needed (major things) then bid , negotiate etc

why are you bidding then trying to lower your bid later

Thanks a million for your life story, although it answered a question i didnt ask.so just to be clear, you would pay 400 for a survey for every house you'd be willing to bid on, and waste weeks on quotes (assuming the seller will allow your tradesmen in on the promise of what might be an offer), and then put in a bid, on a house whose selling price may since had offers of an amount greater than you can afford to buy? interesting that you finish by sayin bid, then negotiate- which is exactly the format im following... loon.... FYI, making sure you can afford to buy a house should be the first thing you do.. hope this clears up the confusion for you

dubrov wrote: »
    Just ask for the reduction. They might say no or they might say yes. You can decide then what you want to do.

It is very unlikely the seller will just cancel the sale.

I dont even necessarily want a reduction, id prefer the snag list to be completed. Thanks Dubrov

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Have to agree with you re; getting surveys completed before having a bid accepted, both money down the drain and showing your eagerness. Could end up costing you much more than the €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Perfectly normal to go sale agreed at one price and then renegotiate based on surveyors report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Some quick numbers from personal experience recently. We've viewed 30 + houses in the last 3 months , and have been seriously interested in 4. Survey going rates are around 500 quid. So immediately we would have been down 2k.

Also, in all the houses we were one of at least 3 parties bidding. I don't know why vendors would even entertain the idea of a pre bid survey in these scenarios, particularly when the bidding tended to go way over asking straight off the bat.

Thanks a million for your life story, although it answered a question i didnt ask.so just to be clear, you would pay 400 for a survey for every house you'd be willing to bid on, and waste weeks on quotes (assuming the seller will allow your tradesmen in on the promise of what might be an offer), and then put in a bid, on a house whose selling price may since had offers of an amount greater than you can afford to buy? interesting that you finish by sayin bid, then negotiate- which is exactly the format im following... loon.... FYI, making sure you can afford to buy a house should be the first thing you do.. hope this clears up the confusion for you

the difference here is that I'm a tradesman myself so I would be a lot more clued in that the average buyer. my second visit would be a bit like a survey (obviously not qualified to do that) . so when the survey was done I would be already fairly sure I'm going to make a bid. I would tell the EA that . the survey would be for more in-depth stuff and structural stuff

as for quotes for work. I would be taking pictures and measurements (if no plan available) and list hat work I wanted or needed doing. I would be pricing up most of it myself and getting in plumbers and electricians that I work with daily to quote . most of the quoting would be done on paper rather than in the house. all you would want is a rough idea to work out what the house is worth to me.

the difference here is that I'm a tradesman myself so I would be a lot more clued in that the average buyer. my second visit would be a bit like a survey (obviously not qualified to do that) . so when the survey was done I would be already fairly sure I'm going to make a bid. I would tell the EA that . the survey would be for more in-depth stuff and structural stuff

as for quotes for work. I would be taking pictures and measurements (if no plan available) and list hat work I wanted or needed doing. I would be pricing up most of it myself and getting in plumbers and electricians that I work with daily to quote . most of the quoting would be done on paper rather than in the house. all you would want is a rough idea to work out what the house is worth to me.

The rest of your post would suggest otherwise

• Advertisement

In what way

Advertisement