Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Interviews & Podcasts

• 06-12-2017 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭

Thought it might be useful to have a thread dedicated to MMA related interviews and podcasts (that people feel are worth watching).

Kick it off with one I recently enjoyed which was the Hooligan's 'No Shame' interview with Owen Roddy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I haven't watched/listened to it yet. But I've heard good things about Joe Rogan's MMA podcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭cletus

If you are interested in technical analysis and breakdown (as well as build up) the Heavy Hands podcast with Connor Roebusch (sp)
    is excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Joe rogans mma podcast is decent.

I really like bispings believe you me podcast. Funny and good insight into the life of a mma fighter.

MMA hour can be hit and miss as can be ufc unfiltered with matt serra and the comedian jim norton.

If you want a good MMA podcast you can't get a better podcast then Big Browns Breakdown :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I'll put these in order of recommendation.

1. Chael Sonnen. He is putting out some brilliant new content on his youtube channel it's well worth a follow. They are short (2-5 min), funny, informative, professionally shot videos with plenty of anecdotal stories and technique demonstrations that are perfect for the casual fan. Here's a good recent example:

2. The CoMainEvent Podcast with Ben Fowlkes and Chad Dundas of MMAJunkie/Bleacher Report is the best long-form review-of-the-week podcast on MMA, it's an hour long so it's more one for sitting in traffic.

http://www.comainevent.com/co-main-event-podcast-episode-284-12417/

3. Real Quick with Mike Swick (former UFC fighter) is a relatively new podcast. It's an hour long but he uses his close personal friendship with Dana White to get great guests. This week's episode features a 49-minute interview with Khabib (below) and he's good value. I find Mike a bit monotone but if you can get past that, there's some good stuff. Check out the interview with Dana on the same channel, Dana relaxed and talked freely and didn't give his usual stock answers.

4. Luke Thomas Monday Morning Analyst is great. He breaks down one fight a week down into technique talk, it's informative and often gives a perspective you might not have thought of, especially when it comes to the ground game.

5. Believe You Me with Michael Bisping. The host (Luis Gomez) is an acquired taste and can be annoying at first but Bisping is good value. He tells some good stories and doesn't sugar coat anything. The latest episode he gives some brutal, frank analysis of his own recent defeats.

6. Fights Gone By - Jack Slack. Now, if you don't care about technique this one should be skipped. Jack is renowned as one of the best analysts in the whole fight game but he's also sardonic and sarcastic and another acquired taste. I hated his podcasts when I first tried them but I stuck with them and once you get used to his delivery, you will learn so much about the game.

7.Platinum Perry's youtube channel is worth keeping an eye on for the future. There's not much to see there yet and his girlfriend takes a while to get used to but if you can stick with it, they seem a really down-to-earth cool couple once you get their sense of humour, so I think we'll get some good videos down the line.

8. For a more Irish perspective on things there's Obviously Fight Talk, which does a great job at interviewing domestic fighters. It's a casual style to it, Noel O' Keeffe asks some solid questions at times, so if you're interested in getting to know a bit more about Irish fighters this is the one you need.

9. Sean Sheehan's SevereMMA podcast is more of a reflection on the week gone by from an Irish point of view. They did a decent interview with Eddie Bravo a while back. I'll be honest I preferred the banter between him and Andrew but it's still a good listen and gives a more Irish slant on it:

http://severemma.com/2017/10/podcast-talking-brawls-niall-petesy-joined-eddie-bravo-owen-roddy/

10. Owen Roddy's technique demonstrations on SBG Charleston are short (2-3 mins) but they get to the point and help understand how a fighter did something:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭xtal191

As mentioned above Luke Thomas is always worth a listen imo, both Monday Morning Analyst and Promotional Malpractice both on mmafighting.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MMAFightingonSBN/videos?disable_polymer=1

His own youtube channel can have some good interviews

https://www.youtube.com/user/KnuckleGame/videos?disable_polymer=1

The Weasel is worth a listen

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZD2qRU8J82XGdGdUWYneNQ

And Robin Black too, he can be a bit annoying at times but he does have some great interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTXp35WW-53vg66Y_IM952g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

6. Fights Gone By - Jack Slack. Now, if you don't care about technique this one should be skipped. Jack is renowned as one of the best analysts in the whole fight game but he's also sardonic and sarcastic and another acquired taste. I hated his podcasts when I first tried them but I stuck with them and once you get used to his delivery, you will learn so much about the game.

I love Fights Gone By. I found Jack Slack easy to listen to, right from the get go. He's a great antidote to some of the more saccharine American guff. Love the way he calls out all the bull$hit around fighting but is still amazingly passionate about it.

Advertisement