Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up on Arlo

Options
  • 06-12-2017 1:04pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm giving up on Arlo camera's.
    I have two and either they activate wayyyy too late, the profiles keep randomly changing to deactivate all camera's or they loose sync with the hub.

I've been thinking of getting a ring doorbell to replace and I'd be curious of people's feedback on them. Can I just wire it into the existing wires we use for doorbells?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Cabaal wrote: »
    I have two and either they activate wayyyy too late, the profiles keep randomly changing to deactivate all camera's or they loose sync with the hub.

I've been thinking of getting a ring doorbell to replace and I'd be curious of people's feedback on them. Can I just wire it into the existing wires we use for doorbells?

I have both Arlo(not pro) and Ring. The Arlo at front door and Ring Notify me with probably 1sec of each other.
    I have the original Ring wired to my existing doorbell wires. Works like a dream. You do need a good WIFI signal at door.

My experience with Arlo is quite different . Works perfectly. In fact its so good I have it installed in 3 other locations now. The positioning of cameras is important. For instance someone walking across shot will probably be missed, Position cameras to capture them coming towards camera to capture your image where possible.
    Your loosing Sync and cameras deactivating I have never experienced. Do you have a good WIFI connection between Hub and Cameras?

In my own home I have two arlo hubs to avail of the Free Cloud up to 5 camera on each hub. (I have 8 cameras at home) Never loose connection.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Arlo Pro 2 cameras are supposed to launch in the next few weeks. Seemingly one of the major new features is a 3 second look back/buffer:
    3-Second Look Back - Capture activity 3 seconds before a triggered event so you'll know what happened from start to finish (Available when plugged in and used indoors)

So at least resolve this issue indoors, though not outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have the Arlo Q(so indoor camera)and its decent overall. If anything its a little too sensitive to sound. Neighbour has their bin in front of thir house and everytime they open and close the lid to put something in I get an alert(even though the camera is inside and bin outside)

The night time quality of the vidoe isnt great either with recordings not very smooth even though its a 1080p camera.

When Im at home, the camera has a light on constantly to show its connected but it often blinks on and off for a few seconds before a solid light appears again, either indicating its updating or has lost connection briefly.

Overall Im happy enough I suppose. The free cloud service offered for the life of the product is probably the most generous on the market, which was a big selling point for me.

I want to add another camera indoors(in the kitchen) but Im unsure as to whether I will continue with Arlo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

givecredit wrote: »
    Your loosing Sync and cameras deactivating I have never experienced. Do you have a good WIFI connection between Hub and Cameras?

Yep, wifi is grand, one camera is approx 5 feet away, the other is approx 20 feet away from the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Yep, wifi is grand, one camera is approx 5 feet away, the other is approx 20 feet away from the router.

Something seriously wrong there. Getting The Ring may not fix your problem. First I'd check for interference on your WIFI.
    I have Arlo Cameras at front gate pillar to house and back yard behide garage, good distance from house, with no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cabaal wrote:

Yes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stoner wrote: »
    Yes

Thing is does it need any sort of weird adaptor or is it literally as easy as wiring the existing wires into the ring doorbell?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cabaal wrote:
    Thing is does it need any sort of weird adaptor or is it literally as easy as wiring the existing wires into the ring doorbell?

If you get the regular one like I have, and you have a regular door bell with a bell/chime/ ringer and a push button and powered on your fuse board. You just take off your door bell button and connect the ring. The ring will work.as a regular door bell and charge off the 12 V

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I haven't had the same experience you have had. Do you use a timer or geolocation to control the mode?
    The one thing I noticed if you are using through a window the results are poor. Does this apply in your case?

Installation is very easy. As the guys have said you will need a good wifi connection close by or it will be more annoying than its worth!

So decided top send back the Arlo to Amazon as I'm having no luck, going to have a try of the Ring instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

givecredit wrote: »
    I have both Arlo(not pro) and Ring. The Arlo at front door and Ring Notify me with probably 1sec of each other.
    I have the original Ring wired to my existing doorbell wires. Works like a dream. You do need a good WIFI signal at door.

My experience with Arlo is quite different . Works perfectly. In fact its so good I have it installed in 3 other locations now. The positioning of cameras is important. For instance someone walking across shot will probably be missed, Position cameras to capture them coming towards camera to capture your image where possible.

How is the night vision on the arlos.....?
    Looking at options vs nest also, but power is a problem, was wondering if people had any opinions on other solutions and if the traditional swanns etc are the best.....?

Advertisement