Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect tv antenna to stereo

• 06-12-2017 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Im trying to connect a TV antenna to a FM stereo output. Any ideas what adapter I could/couldnt use ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

Luis21 wrote: »
    Im trying to connect a TV antenna to a FM stereo output. Any ideas what adapter I could/couldnt use ?

Thanks.

A picture of what you have would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Luis21

thelordgod wrote: »
    A picture of what you have would be helpful.
    Here you go

20171206_071026_zpsyczgdfd4.jpg
    20171207_071503_zpsdewpmlsp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

A coax joiner should do the trick. Any decent electrical shop will have them (not the currys type). Maplin have them too but they are robbers.

https://www.maplin.ie/p/plastic-coax-plug-to-coax-plug-coupler-n42jy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I presume you know the results might not be spectacular, as what you really need is an FM (VHF band II - 88 to 108MHz) antenna, whereas your TV antenna will probably be UHF and could be pointing in the wrong direction with the wrong polarity.

Of course, it will work a lot better than having nothing plugged in at all!

@OP - where are you located and what are you trying to receive? Where is the TV antenna (roof or attic) and is it still needed for TV in other rooms, or is it redundant?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Luis21

Just FM. The antenna that came with the stereo is just a cable so its not great.

Thanks for everyones replies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have Virgin then I think they still pipe FM over the cable.

is it one of these T shape antennas ? just in case you don't already have one or it's damaged
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Indoor-FM-Ribbon-Aerial-Hi-fi-Dipole-Noodle-Antenna-Coaxial-Connection/535711164?iid=322516927936

Are you after a particular station ?
    Try near different windows to see if you are being blocked by something.

An ordinary TV antenna isn't much use for FM as its in the wrong band.

Advertisement